Raymond James Financial group in Brownwood.

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
I’ve had my IRA with advisors on the Barrons list. Didn’t help during the Great Recession. My thought is to ask what has been the average client portfolio performance for the past (your choice) number of years. Then you’ll have something to compare against other advisors.
Would you buy a performance car if you couldn’t see the figures on how it performs?
If you get the response “my mother has her retirement money with me”....keep looking.
When I was in my 20's, I had a coworker who kept pushing the greatness of his financial advisor.

Being fairly new at investing, I decided to go in for a free consultation.

As I was sitting in the parking lot afterward, I saw the guy I had just talked to (and I admit, he 'sounded' great with lots of terminology I was clueless about and seemed to know what he was doing)...get in his car.

It was an old beater, but more importantly, was covered with dust & dirt...indicating to me he wasn't big on details.

A light bulb went off and made me think... "if this guy is so good, why does he look so broke?"

And yes, I also took into account that maybe he was really filthy rich and driving cheap cars (like Warren Buffett)...is one of the ways he was able to become wealthy.

It was his lack of taking care of what he had though...that tipped the scales for me.

Which made me think of Trevino's famous quote...on why he didn't have a golf coach.

Trevino's answer was basically (paraphrasing)... "because I haven't found one that can beat me."

So I decided then & there, I would educate myself as much as possible and at least then...I would be solely responsible for any failures/successes.

I've never looked back...and certainly don't regret my decision.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I have also managed all my investments solely myself. My Barron's list/Raymond James guy won't oversee my investments until I am either unable to while alive or deceased. If I had an adult child that could handle it the stock bookie would not get the job, just saying...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

If financial advisors could really provide valuable investment advice, they would not be financial advisors. They would be billionaries. The first thing you should ask an advisor is to show you their own personal portfolio, and their total return over the last 10 years.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I read a quote somewhere of a man saying something like "I sent two children to college with my investment portfolio, my broker's!'.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It is so easy to do yourself with today's investment options that I would never pay anyone to do it. Just follow a simple model like the Yale University model. Use low cost index funds. I have done my own for the past 40 years and have averaged 8.34% annual return with a VERY low risk portfolio. Someone told me that that is about the same as the S&P 500, and yes it did, but at a much higher risk profile. I use Vanguard, but Schwab or Fidelity also have low expense index funds.

Google the Yale model and just follow it using ETF's or index funds with low expense ratios. They manage the largest endowment fund around very successfully using just low cost index funds.

So never pay anyone for things you can do with better results and lower cost. Raymond James is fairly expensive and will impact your returns. Returns will be lower or risk will be higher to achieve what you can do yourself.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 04-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

And again, we don't answer the OP's question.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post

With all due respect, I would point out that most of the other posts...at least gave a lot of usable info on investing in general.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-13-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Not sure I agree. In my opinion, advising the OP how to manage their own investments instead of paying an investment advisor is answering the question.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Broker - just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I have also managed all my investments solely myself. My Barron's list/Raymond James guy won't oversee my investments until I am either unable to while alive or deceased. If I had an adult child that could handle it the stock bookie would not get the job, just saying...
As I've noted before, I decided to give a financial advisor (i woudnt call him a broker) a portion of my assets .. just in case I was unable to mentally do it in the future. I came down to the Villages and have gone to the Investment clubs and have played poker with 80 and 90 year olds that are sharp as a tack. I hope to be that with it when I reach that age. In the meantime, I'm back to managing 100% of the portfolio.. and my wife has the call to take over or hire someone in the event she declares me incapable (no jokes pls) ..

I'll leave the talk about millenial children and their knowledge of and interest in finance to another discussion
Old 08-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Default Investing Models

Along the lines of Paul Merriman (paulmerrimandotcom), I would look into John Bogle (bogleheadsdotorg).

Both advocate simple approaches to investing.

Merriman includes several model portfolios using low cots ETF's.

Bogle (recently passed) founded Vanguard

Neither charges a fee.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Sage

Has anyone else noticed that the old term "buy and hold" approach to investing has been replaced with the "hang in there" approach to investing. And, "market timing" has been replaced with having a "managed portfolio". Different wording, same meanings, but apparently, "hang in there" sounds more negative than "buy and hold". Most research surveys reveal that about 66 percent of financial advisors who decide when to buy and when to sell your stocks (managed portfolio), end up providing a total return of less than the total return for S&P 500 index funds.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not sure I agree. In my opinion, advising the OP how to manage their own investments instead of paying an investment advisor is answering the question.
So the OP asks specifically about experience with Raymond James in Brownwood and nobody answers his question but provides opinions on managing his own finances and you consider that an answer? You make the assumption that the OP is ignorant to the advanatges of doing his own investing and never consider that maybe he has explored that option and isn't interested in doing that. Can anyone answer his question?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM

I use Steve Saylor and his recommendations have been spot on. Would highly recommend Steve and his team.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
So the OP asks specifically about experience with Raymond James in Brownwood and nobody answers his question but provides opinions on managing his own finances and you consider that an answer? You make the assumption that the OP is ignorant to the advanatges of doing his own investing and never consider that maybe he has explored that option and isn't interested in doing that. Can anyone answer his question?
Thank you!
Closed Thread

Tags
local, information, read, national, experiences

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.