Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Dividends pay you to wait.

Boomer
A company that is not making profits will cut dividends before it declares bankruptcy. Strong companies can continue to pay dividends - weak companies can not.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,605 Times in 1,760 Posts

Just saw an Aston Martin SUV, a DBX 707, at Trader Joe's in Crystal Cove today. It looked both beautiful and impressive. I was unaware Aston Martin manufactured them. Apparently their SUVs now outsell their sports cars. It appears to be a bargain considering all it offers!

"Aston Martin DBX 707 Is a 697-HP V8-Powered Guilty Pleasure. As other automakers look to the future, Aston Martin is still giving us its past. Standard DBX already outsells all of Aston Martin's more traditional sports cars, and the 707 variant aims to be the world's fastest SUV, priced at $239,086.Apr 19, 2022"

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-03-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
A company that is not making profits will cut dividends before it declares bankruptcy. Strong companies can continue to pay dividends - weak companies can not.
A company that does not have the cash flow to cover dividends needs to cut them or end them or face financial disaster.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
Not copied. All my own words from the tipity tapity typing of my own fingers.

Sorry it was sooooo loooong.

Personally, I thought your post was very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Exxon on Friday said that its refining profits — earnings that come from processing crude oil into gasoline and other fuels — surged to $5.3 billion, from a loss of $865 million a year ago. At Chevron, refining profits were $3.5 billion in the second quarter, up from $839 million the year before.

Crude oil gets refined into other petroleum products. From a loss of $865M in 2021 to a profits of $5.3B is not the result of stock markets controlling the price of crude oil. It's the result of Exxon charging more for post-refinery petroleum. Gasoline at the pumps isn't the only product that comes from crude oil. Synthetic plastics are the result of the refining process as well, and plastics made from the refining process of crude oil are found in every household, every automobile, every computer, every cell phone, every company in the country. Even the handle of your desktop stapler is probably made from synthetic plastic.

This is part of the reason inflation is so high, because the oil companies have raised their prices on ALL petroleum products. Not just gasoline.
she's correct, you guys. i just read the same thing in the foreign press. not too much we can do about it except reopen the pipeline
Old 08-12-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It will probably become a recession soon. The US economy depends on the world economy and visa-versa. The
US economy is NOT sealed in some hermetically sealed container. Oil and wheat prices affect all of the world's prices on about everything - goods and services. The US is ONLY 4% of the world's population.

The US government is NOT to blame. The more likely entity to blame would be the oil and gas industry and distributors than MIGHT ? have taken advantage and jacked the price of gasoline up. But, they may have just adjusted prices upward to include an UNCERTAINTY margin due to the war in the Ukraine.
i believe we are in recession now, & have been for some months. just my opinion
Old 08-12-2022, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i believe we are in recession now, & have been for some months. just my opinion
In grad school we were taught that two consecutive quarters of negative GNP growth is a recession. It is called by the national bureau of economic research.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
she's correct, you guys. i just read the same thing in the foreign press. not too much we can do about it except reopen the pipeline
The pipeline was never closed. A second pipeline was planned never started and the petroleum (Canadian tar sands) was for export to China.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Another bad CPI. Fed should raise at least another 1%. Recession looks a little more likely.

Access Denied
Closed Thread

Tags
consumers, supply, inflation, spend, slow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.