renting to own

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2021, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

I don’t know if I would want someone who agrees to this arrangement as a tenant
Old 11-29-2021, 06:41 AM
Default Bad idea!

[There is so much to consider. Who is furnishing the home?. I might not like your furniture. If something breaks say appliances , who's responsible to repair or replace? Who carries the home /renters insurance? Who gets the garage to park their car when everyone is there? Are pets not allowed with renter,, but yet you have and tag along your pet.. I know if I was renting someone's house. I wouldn't want the landlord cramping my style for 3 months, no matter how much of a discount in rent. Two important people you should talk to is your home owner policy insurance company and your accountant. I personally think it's a bad idea, but that's me..
QUOTE=ryoungs;2034623]I have done a search of forums but can't find any posts where someone has tried the scheme I am considering. This suggests to me it is probably a stupid idea, but I would be interested in advice.

I am considering buying a three bedroom home in the Villages (none picked out yet) and, as a snowbird, renting it out long term. When my wife and I, or family members, decide to use the house for, say, 3 winter months, the renter would have the use of only one of the three bedrooms plus common areas, but at a greatly reduced rent (similar to an airbnb but at much less cost for the renter). At all other times the renter would have the entire home to use as he (she/they) sees fit, but at closer to normal rental prices (which, again, would be less than it might cost them otherwise)

I do realize it would have to be a perfect fit between the renter(s) and myself, but it sounds like a win-win for us both. It would be an ideal situation if I had a relative or a good friend who wanted to do it.

Comments?[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 AM

Hey what have you got to lose if someone is willing to do it - how about free rent for the renter for 3 months or a very very low fee, lower than AirBnB ? A courtyard villa with 3 bedrooms has a pocket door for the 2nd bedroom/bath so you would have privacy from that aspect while there.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
I have done a search of forums but can't find any posts where someone has tried the scheme I am considering. This suggests to me it is probably a stupid idea, but I would be interested in advice.

I am considering buying a three bedroom home in the Villages (none picked out yet) and, as a snowbird, renting it out long term. When my wife and I, or family members, decide to use the house for, say, 3 winter months, the renter would have the use of only one of the three bedrooms plus common areas, but at a greatly reduced rent (similar to an airbnb but at much less cost for the renter). At all other times the renter would have the entire home to use as he (she/they) sees fit, but at closer to normal rental prices (which, again, would be less than it might cost them otherwise)

I do realize it would have to be a perfect fit between the renter(s) and myself, but it sounds like a win-win for us both. It would be an ideal situation if I had a relative or a good friend who wanted to do it.

Comments?
Whoa! "Complicated" is an understatement.

What you are thinking of doing is basically a contract-for-deed, then getting a "perfect fit" renter family to pay the freight on that for at least nine months out of the year (three months "reduced rent"). The problems with this are #1: you wouldn't own the house so any arrangement like that would probably have to be OK'ed through the owner; #2: either looking for new renters if the original ones decided to leave (something that is quite likely if they're looking at sharing the home for three months out of every year); and 3: taking over the house full-time when you DO decide to become permanent Villagers. It's a three-way (four-way, counting the insurance, which is bound to be complicated as well) arrangement that sounds more like a minefield to me.

If you do go ahead with this, I'd strongly advise talking to a property-management company here in The Villages and talk to them about whether or not this is viable, and if they would manage the property (for a fee, of course) while you're absent. But to be honest there are just waaaaay too many potholes in this. I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 11-29-2021 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-29-2021, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

As many other people say oh, it's not really a great idea however, the best solution would be fine too oh, to have a business person who travels a lot he needs to be say in Asia for those 3 months every year, but if you can afford a whole house why not just rent something else is already or just buy it and suck up the money that you're not getting?, or a rental apartment, or the timeshares
Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 AM

Scheme or fantasy
Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 AM

IMHO don’t buy a house you have to rent out unless your in the business … to many problems
Old 11-29-2021, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

rent-jpg
Old 11-29-2021, 08:19 AM

That cannot possibly work in real life.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 AM
Default Creative Room Sharing

Quote:
I have done a search of forums but can't find any posts where someone has tried the scheme I am considering. This suggests to me it is probably a stupid idea, but I would be interested in advice.

Comments?
My husband and I did something similar before we down-sized in Michigan- renting out two rooms to two different renters (who ironically became good friends). We even started out as strangers- our renters were post college students with jobs, who had no credit history and did not know how long they would be in the area. It turned out to be a wonderful exerience for us, as well as them. We enjoyed a few foreign dishes and ocassionally shared our dinner with them as well.

Here was an important factor, they were "digital natives" and spent a great deal of time in their rooms on their devices. So outside of an occasional meal, we led pretty separate lives.

Good luck in your endeavor-if you find the right match, it could be a great thing!!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Comments?
Can I ask why you wish to do this? You say you only plan to be snowbirds so, are you trying to cover the cost of the home by renting? If so, you seem to be suggesting discounting might get you folks interested in sharing but (as others have said) sharing isn’t a great situation for most (even family can be hard to mix 24/7 for that long). It’s hard to share a kitchen, refrigerator and even the main television (which man would get to hold the clicker?).
I might suggest you just make it a regular short term rental. It should pay for itself but you may not be able to use it all 3 snowbird months as those are the highest rent months.
We purchased and rented before we retired and came when we could (around the renters). The house was set up for renters though, full use, empty closets, cleaned between renters, etc.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Sharing the common areas? I just have a vision of an old dude lounging around in his boxer shorts and wifebeater t-shirt sitting in your recliner and wanting to watch Gunsmoke reruns while you are there
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Good point, what do you do if there’s a legal dispute (i.e. not paying rent) and its the 3 months you want to be in YOUR home? Eviction is expensive and a long process.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:47 AM
Default Thanks for the excellent advice

HI. I am the original poster who started this thread. Most of you said it was not a great idea, and I am convinced by the logic of your comments. I already own a villa in The Villages, and when I got back to it recently after a summer away, it took days to clean it up from months of neglect. Thats why I had the idea of renting any new and more expensive home I bought to a caretaker while I am in the northland. At any rate, I thank you all for the good advice and, even more, I thank you all for the tone of your answers. From other posts I've seen on Talk of the Villages, often wise guys want to show how superior they are by posting smart-ass comments. None of you did that, and I appreciate it.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM

I would never do this
Closed Thread

Tags
renter, fit, home, renting, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.