Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Default Retiring

Anyone ever regret retiring too early?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
At first no, was 53 when i retired, worked 35 years for the bell system but after 4 years of hunting and fishing I found myself becomig bored I was looking for something of meaning to do, you know a part time job went to work for a bd. of ed. driving a bus 2 hrs in morning 2 hrs in the afternoon but after 5 years of being around kids I'm on my way to the villages can't wait for round 2
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Gold member

My 55th birthday was my first day of retirement. I never regretted it, never missed the job of 32 years, never missed the people with whom I worked. For me a whole new world opened up. At last I had time to do the things I wanted to do instead of the things I had to do. I have plenty of time to play but I don't think I'd like to play all the time so I volunteer. It's still work but it's something I choose to do on my own terms.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
bump
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Sage

I would retire immediately if my condo sells and move to TV. I choose to work in the meantime, so I don't have to look at the four walls as there is nothing to do in the northeast.

A lot I think depends if one enjoys what they are doing, as oppossed to hating their job or do what they are required to do. Doing what one wants to do is always the best option especially playing. There are some people who really enjoy working as they feel they have comraderie with their co-workers and feel a sense of purpose. If one does not need the money, one would do better by volunteering to get a sense of purpose and come and go at your own schedule.

With that being said, I think once one has found TV, they want to start their retirement immediately. With so many activities and nice people to hang out with.

Bottom line is, if I could have retired early, I would have done so and not regretted it for a second. Most everyone I met has said that retiring early is the best option.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Sage

Retired the second time at 52 and NO I have no regrets.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I would retire immediately if my condo sells and move to TV. I choose to work in the meantime, so I don't have to look at the four walls as there is nothing to do in the northeast.
In order to be happily retired you need interests. This applies no matter when you retire. I was busier after I retired than I ever was when I worked, and that was in the northeast. I had a co-worker whose biggest fear was retiring and being one of the old men at the mall, sitting all day and watching people walk by. That co-worker definitely needed to work as long as possible and develop some outside interests.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Platinum member

Retired at age 58, wife retired at age 54. Neither of us have one iota of regret. I highly recommend early retirement.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Retired at 50 now 53 way too busy playing to have regrets
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

Retired two years ago at 53 years young. At first, I missed getting up in the cold mornings and working among the ice and snow . Being abused repeatedly on the jobs by the powers to be. Now, I'm getting use to staying up as long as I want. Doing what ever I feel when I want to. I look at each day as a blessing, so fortunate to be able to retire at such a young age with relatively good health. I had a very close friend work 25 years, and unexpectedly passed at 48 years young. This really opened my eyes to what is really important in our lives. Remember, each day you remain on the job is a day of your life that you trade off for cash...and a day you can never get back.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to ariel

I retired 4 years ago after 38 years of work. My husband retires day after tomorrow after 43 years - Army and VA. It took him a while to decide he was ready, but when he did that was it! We are packing up, movers come on Monday and we will be permanent Villagers by the 21st. We both keep our options open for part time work in the future, but maybe not!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Sage

congratulations! i retired 3 years ago accidentally due to federal cutbacks. turns out I'm happy as a clam. (not sure why clams are happy. do they sleep in too?)
Miss Kitty soon to be in Gilchrist. Welcome...what village will you be in?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM

I retired early from very stressful work after 35 years. When my finance guy came into my office late one day and asked if I heard of the Actuary Tables corps use, and than explained them, I set my goal on getting out. I was shocked by them. It basically says those that worked later in the ir years have a high probability of dying younger! That's how they reduce pensions in the long run. I saw to many I knew retire at a late stage than shortly died thereafter. One of the best advice I got.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM

I envy all of you. We closed on our home in September, spent one week in it and haven't returned since then. My home-watch person (who is great) has spent more time in my house than my wife and I. We also have great neighbors that keep an eye on it.

We're really looking forward to that early retirement -- we need about 2 more years to qualify for medical benefits, and hopefully the CA housing market will come back a little so we can sell our house.

From my perspective, the early the better. I don't believe we'll have any regrets retiring early.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.