Shareholder Protection Insurance Corp. (SIPC)

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default Shareholder Protection Insurance Corp. (SIPC)

I think I got that heading correct. I lost my notes. I believe every brokerage account is insured up to a minimum of $500,000, including $250,000 coverage for the cash account. The last time I asked my broker about it was probably about 15 to 20 years ago when I had a lot less equity. At that time I think I was told they had extra coverage beyond the $500,000. Now, again, I'm wondering if they have enough coverage for me, since my account equity has grown since then.

What is a reasonable amount of coverage to expect? How much coverage does your broker have? Should we expect it to be in writing? Last time I just took the broker's word for it. And what would you do if your broker didn't have enough to cover your equity?

I understand SPIC covers just about everything except normal market losses and/or company-stocks going bankrupt.

Any information will be appreciated.

Last edited by Villages PL; 05-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Sage

SIPC - Securities Investor Protection Corporation

Here's their web site - lots of info:

Bill
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

Here's their web site - lots of info:

Bill
Thanks, Bill, that website had a lot of good information. After I posted, I called my broker and he suggested that I go to their website. There I found that they have additional insurance coverage "up to an aggregate of $600 million", limited to 150 million per customer.

It sounds good but how would I know if $600 million is enough to cover ALL of the securities and cash of all of their customers? Although, I think it could be enough because it's a relatively small brokerage firm with about 3 offices. There's one in New York City, one in California and one in Florida.

On the plus side, I have been doing business with them for over 20 years, so I know it's not a fly-by-night brokerage firm.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.