So masks work -> P&G takes a financial hit

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default So masks work -> P&G takes a financial hit

P&G reported that cold medicine sales were down 45% from a year ago.

More Masks Means Fewer Germs, Hitting P&G’s Cold-Medicine Sales

So I consider this a hard data point to support the theory of
mask wearing slows spread of virus germs
including covid and flu

the anti maskers can !@#$%^&*()

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 01-21-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: a job reviewing covid dead patients and reporting them to authorities can cause extreme feelings against anti-maskers
Old 01-21-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Here's upper respiratory data from a molecular diagnostic system also illustrating the impact.

Syndromic Trends
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	99FF9A15-13EF-4F6F-BB83-335E6B36ECB4.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	87786  
Old 01-21-2021, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

including covid and flu

the anti maskers can gft
It might have something to do with social distancing in general and avoiding crowds in particular. I strongly suspect that's the case for my family.

You will also soon hear that studies are beginning to show that the masks aren't as effective as they need to be and countries in Europe are (or soon will be) requiring N95 masks or equivalent.

anti-maskers are annoying but so are rude comments.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:

including covid and flu

the anti maskers can gft
And yet the squares are going to have festivals next month.....
Old 01-21-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
Personally, I think that businesses that provide hand sanitizer stations go far in preventing the spread of viruses in general. I would love for them to continue this practice. I'm more likely to use it if it's at the entrance to a store or restaurant.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

including covid and flu

the anti maskers can !@#$%^&*()
Masks maybe some of the cause and effect, but there is a better reason.

Many have not left their homes, working from home, kids not in school to transfer the cold.

Then there are the thousands upon thousands who no longer have income.
Do you buy meds, cold medicine, or feed your children.

Children always win, P&G zero.

Working for 5 months exposed 60 hours a week, wearing multiple masks at a time, didn’t help hundreds of healthcare workers. But that’s just first hand experience.
Not saying masks don’t work for those who may or may not be exposed everyday in TV.
But there is a difference when wearing a mask with a less than 5% exposure, compared to 100%.

Closely working with 186 people everyday, many still got sick, flu, colds, and yes Covid. All with more protective gear than one could imagine. And that mask didn’t save some of them.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Many have not left their homes, working from home, kids not in school to transfer the cold.

Working for 5 months exposed 60 hours a week, wearing multiple masks at a time, didn’t help hundreds of healthcare workers. But that’s just first hand experience.
Not saying masks don’t work for those who may or may not be exposed everyday in TV.
But there is a difference when wearing a mask with a less than 5% exposure, compared to 100%.

Closely working with 186 people everyday, many still got sick, flu, colds, and yes Covid. All with more protective gear than one could imagine. And that mask didn’t save some of them.
Far more believable and likely reason for the drop in colds, etc.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
It might have something to do with social distancing in general and avoiding crowds in particular. I strongly suspect that's the case for my family.

You will also soon hear that studies are beginning to show that the masks aren't as effective as they need to be and countries in Europe are (or soon will be) requiring N95 masks or equivalent.

anti-maskers are annoying but so are rude comments.
I have a strong supposition that you are correct about the variables of distance, crowd avoidance, and the MANY other variables that are never mentioned, never studied in any scientific manner (I see a LOT of "follow the science", and the "studies" I have managed to find are so flawed in relation to the controls and the variables, even the how the populations were set up, just a total grade of "F" if submitted in the very first intro to research class required in any grad school ! The kind you see in the headlines of the super market check out line magazines...LOL ! Headline: "Study SHOWS".... well, you can make a study show anything you'd like it to, just like graphs, depending on the axis's, you can make a convincing graph to convince a LOT of people... LOL ! Skeptic me, but would be great to get some real scientific data...maybe someday they will laugh at us ? Washing down every grocery item we take into our homes, wearing gloves to the super market, to the mail stations, have seen two auto now with masks duct taped over the ventilation slats on the dash ? What's that about, any one know ? Have the tracing they have done shown the numbers of people contracting it due to unmasked ventilation slats in their autos is greater than the "norm" for other risks ? Feeling like a mushroom (if you know something about mushroom growing you'll get the humor...LOL !)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Far more believable and likely reason for the drop in colds, etc.
Absolutely. But there are those who worship at the altar of the holy mask, want everyone else to join their church and will find any lame reason to support their belief
Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post

Awesome!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

So P&G cold medicine is national, and not job specific, nor age specific. The sales are rural and urban, adults and children, and represents a data point that at the national level, generalized behavioral changes have made a difference, measureable enough to be seen. Also, though not publically available information, coach k's medical center has used less than 50% of their flu vaccine supply which was ordered in Oct. And the same behaviors which have limited covid spread have limited the flu as well. Also a not well publicized point, you can't get a COVID vaccine shot if you have had any other vaccine shot, including the flu, in the prior 14 days.

I agree that its not just the mask but the whole reinforced behavioral changes which have caused the reduction, so my bad for sensationalizing one particular aspect over the other . Given the increased infectious rate of the mutations showing up however, the behaviors continuing will be needed even more to slow the spread. . .
Old 01-21-2021, 08:03 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

No need to worry about Procter & Gamble. They also make Charmin and Dawn.

It occurred to me at the beginning of Covid that Dawn would be good for handwashing. I figured if Dawn could cut through that oil and save those baby ducks, Dawn could cut through the virus. (Please don’t drink it though.)

Last edited by Boomer; 01-21-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:04 AM

[QUOTE=CoachKandSportsguy;1890687]P&G reported that cold medicine sales were down 45% from a year ago.

including covid and flu

Last edited by jswirs; 01-22-2021 at 06:06 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 01-22-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Absolutely, there is always more logic to the story...not just flimsy dirty useless masks, that people spend more time touching and adjusting, then touching something else...but they can believe whatever they want...
Old 01-22-2021, 06:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Personally, I think that businesses that provide hand sanitizer stations go far in preventing the spread of viruses in general. I would love for them to continue this practice. I'm more likely to use it if it's at the entrance to a store or restaurant.
By now everyone should be carrying one in their bag. Leaving the house nowadays should be......mask-check, sanitizer-check.....plastic gloves- maybe.
Closed Thread

Tags
p&g, spread, support, theory, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.