So masks work -> P&G takes a financial hit

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 464 Posts

I think staying in the house for the rest of your life will guarantee you will not catch a cold or virus, maybe. We will knock on your door every few years to check if you are still alive. Have fun!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 AM

I was wondering why NyQuil has been so heavily advertising, and curious why they’d spend so much money when people were distancing, masking up and washing. It’s not a product like beer, where you’re trying to attract more customers by saying hey come try me I’m delicious. It’s just a competitive marketing share war because only so many people are going to get colds, this year 2020 colds less 55%
Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM
Default Masks do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
P&G reported that cold medicine sales were down 45% from a year ago.

More Masks Means Fewer Germs, Hitting P&G’s Cold-Medicine Sales

So I consider this a hard data point to support the theory of
mask wearing slows spread of virus germs
including covid and flu

the anti maskers can !@#$%^&*()
My daughter is a medical worker and my cousin is a head nurse of an ER in a major hospital. Both have told me that the number of flu cases are way down and both believe it is absolutely due to the wearing of masks.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:

including covid and fluthe anti maskers can !@#$%^&*()
Or maybe it’s because people are no longer congregating in offices, etc. Mask wearing is not the only reason, it’s one reason.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

including covid and flu

No way is this hard data. You have no idea what other factors come into play. Social distancing for one. People learning to be more diligent with hand washing is another. I’m sure there care more.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
My daughter is a medical worker and my cousin is a head nurse of an ER in a major hospital. Both have told me that the number of flu cases are way down and both believe it is absolutely due to the wearing of masks.
Even medical workers have opinions that are not based on solid research. Seems they forgot what they learned in their research classes. Shame on them.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Healthcare workers were forced to wear the same mask for several days because of a shortage of supplies. Disposable masks were meant to be worn ONCE per individual patient contact, then disposed. Wearing one mask all day while treating many different patients is going to render the masks much less effective. Add to that, being in an environment with the viral load through the roof, it’s a wonder more workers haven’t died.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:

including covid and flu

I can see it now. We've got to continue wearing masks forever to reduce the threat of the common cold.....

Using this THEORY is not 'hard data'. Cause and effect is not even close to be proven by this one. My guess; I'd say it's more likely that the reduction in colds is due to kids not attending school. So, maybe we should ban schooling for all children to protect the overall health of the populace.......
Old 01-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Masks maybe some of the cause and effect, but there is a better reason.

Many have not left their homes, working from home, kids not in school to transfer the cold.

Then there are the thousands upon thousands who no longer have income.
Do you buy meds, cold medicine, or feed your children.

Children always win, P&G zero.

Working for 5 months exposed 60 hours a week, wearing multiple masks at a time, didn’t help hundreds of healthcare workers. But that’s just first hand experience.
Not saying masks don’t work for those who may or may not be exposed everyday in TV.
But there is a difference when wearing a mask with a less than 5% exposure, compared to 100%.

Closely working with 186 people everyday, many still got sick, flu, colds, and yes Covid. All with more protective gear than one could imagine. And that mask didn’t save some of them.
I'm a believer in science, I'm sure they know more than all the rest.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Contract tracing of MA health care workers have found that the vast majority, but not all, of infections were passed by community spread, which means not in the hospitals.

Which means people were not being socially distant and were being in lengthy enough close contact to assume a viral load big enough to infect when not at work.

But of course, everyone can't wear protective gear at a hospital level everywhere all the time, either.

So there is a middle ground of some prevention to try to reduce the transmission rate to extinguish the virus.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
I can see it now. We've got to continue wearing masks forever to reduce the threat of the common cold.....

Using this THEORY is not 'hard data'. Cause and effect is not even close to be proven by this one. My guess; I'd say it's more likely that the reduction in colds is due to kids not attending school. So, maybe we should ban schooling for all children to protect the overall health of the populace.......
Interesting observation regarding schools. RSV is a common illness in children and also way down.

Curious cold viruses are showing relatively small reductions.

Syndromic Trends
Old 01-22-2021, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

If masks are keeping everyone from catching the FLU then it's interesting to know that COVID is way up lately. Kind of argues the point that masks are reducing the FLU. I agree with the poster that suggested that everyone is staying home, distancing and washing their hands. Of course, I have never had the flu so what would I know.
Anyone that is counting on the placebo mask to save them, should perhaps rethink that idea and instead do the other things that will keep you safe such as staying away from others; the source of infection. If you are counting on others to protect you, it is my opinion that common sense is being ignored.
Like I said, if masks are preventing the flu then it proves that masks are not working for COVID because we have more infections than before.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
If masks are keeping everyone from catching the FLU then it's interesting to know that COVID is way up lately. Kind of argues the point that masks are reducing the FLU. I agree with the poster that suggested that everyone is staying home, distancing and washing their hands. Of course, I have never had the flu so what would I know.
Anyone that is counting on the placebo mask to save them, should perhaps rethink that idea and instead do the other things that will keep you safe such as staying away from others; the source of infection. If you are counting on others to protect you, it is my opinion that common sense is being ignored.
Like I said, if masks are preventing the flu then it proves that masks are not working for COVID because we have more infections than before.
Because COVID is orders of magnitude more contagious than flu.

Masks are a risk reduction method, not fully preventative.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I'm a believer in science, I'm sure they know more than all the rest.
Science changes every day, kind of like politicians. Common sense along with a bit of statistical data and past evidence works as my science, NOT a bunch of "experts" that depend on politics and gov funding that influences their so-called "expert" statements.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Because COVID is orders of magnitude more contagious than flu.

Masks are a risk reduction method, not fully preventative.
Ooo, scary! Masks are magical? More like a placebo in most cases around here, if you look at what and how anyone is wearing theirs. Granted, common sense suggests that masks do help. So does one's sleeve, washing hands and distancing. But, common sense also says that COVID did not do away with the flu. The Flu just got grouped into the COVID category is more probable. Children brought the flu home with them from school and they are not in school. Folks are washing their hands more than before and staying their distance. All of that will help. But, don't for a minute think that the flu is not still there.
I agree that masks help. Masks are also a good replacement for some folks' security blanket.

Tags
p&g, spread, support, theory, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.