Social Security changes will hit couples, divorced women hard.

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Default Social Security changes will hit couples, divorced women hard.

Millions will lose money without this key claiming strategy.

Read the rest of the story.

We are here to help. Please call us at 407.869.9800 or complete this form.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Financial Group View Post

Thanks for the info. I'll bet few people even have any idea what was done. This is the most despicable way of governance. The American people should be outraged.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually, I am for these changes. These little "gimmicks" to game the system further degrades SSI long term viability. This type of gaming the system is why SS disability is going broke. They should have made this retroactive across all ages. Quit stealing your children's futures.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

The file and suspend strategy only came into use as a result of a change in the wording of the law in 2000 and it was not intended to create such a strategy. Only for a few years has this work-around even been allowed. It is a loophole that allowed savvy couples to get money that the program never intended to have to pay out. And as it became more often used is costing billions from the budget. So all that happened is that the sloppy wording in the 2000 law has been fixed and a never intended loophole is closed. The only problem with this change is that it took too long.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Actually, I am for these changes. These little "gimmicks" to game the system further degrades SSI long term viability. This type of gaming the system is why SS disability is going broke. They should have made this retroactive across all ages. Quit stealing your children's futures.

Seriously ? With all the tax loopholes that large corporations use and lobby for let's pick on the little people that can't fight back for a few bucks back in their pockets ? Who's stealing who's future, the little guy ? Foreign outsourcing, offshore corporate headquartering and union busting are destroying our children's future, not some small loophole that very few people even knew about and used. Gimme a break (with all due respect)...politicians follow the path of least resistance, their own greedy interests.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Financial Group View Post

I like the way the 99% of the sponsors here respond to the questions WHEN we ask on this forum. I don't like the way this guy baits us every week. My opinion only. Like the rest of us don't watch cnbc or fbn all day long. Every week - tell me something I don't know please.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Seriously ? With all the tax loopholes that large corporations use and lobby for let's pick on the little people that can't fight back for a few bucks back in their pockets ? Who's stealing who's future, the little guy ? Foreign outsourcing, offshore corporate headquartering and union busting are destroying our children's future, not some small loophole that very few people even knew about and used. Gimme a break (with all due respect)...politicians follow the path of least resistance, their own greedy interests.
Amen
Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

I've read through the post and I believe that some have missed the point. Its not that Social Security needs some changes, its the fact as to how it was done. Like a bunch of cowards in the night. Backroom deals are despicable. Tagging legislation on to bills that are not related to hind them is just dishonest. We now have a society that has no problem with how its done, only interested in the outcome.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Do you advocate stealing from a business like Walmart? Just because it is done every day doesn't mean it is right. Gaming the system just weakens it for future generations. Unfortunately, the baby boomer generation is taking it to a new level.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Please don't blame my generation for the misfortunes of our economy. The seeds of fascism were sown long before our generation was born. Eisenhower warned of the military industrial complex in the early fifties.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Stealing from a business is against the law. File and suspend was a strategy implemented by the SSA and legal. Hardly the same thing. The problems with SS go far beyond this issue and if Congress wanted to really do something to change the trajectory they would, but they don't. If there is any fault to be laid at the feet of Baby Boomers it is that they keep helping to elect the same career politicians.

Quote:
Do you advocate stealing from a business like Walmart? Just because it is done every day doesn't mean it is right. Gaming the system just weakens it for future generations. Unfortunately, the baby boomer generation is taking it to a new level.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Thank You, very well said.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I assume you would consider delaying taking SS until age 70 to be "gaming the system" if there is a very good possibility that you will live past age 82?

Quote:
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Divorcees are out of luck

The biggest problem I see is those friends of mine who are divorced now are at the whims of their exs. If a person suspends then the spouse or ex spouse can not collect. So if you are currently divorced and the claiming of social security was not specified (and why under the old law would it have been) in your decree and your spouse suspends their benefits you can't collect. So as I read it, if the ex has not already suspended and will not do so within the next 180 days.(they would have to be 66 by then) and they later suspend the ex can not collect their 1/2 benefits until that person starts collecting so maybe never. So if they did not amass good benefits under their own work history they are out of luck. For young people who have time to plan no big deal. For women who stayed home with the kids and had their husband bail on them in their 50's they are up the creek without a paddle.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I assume you would consider delaying taking SS until age 70 to be "gaming the system" if there is a very good possibility that you will live past age 82?
Not at all. But all that other BS is just a working the system to screw your neighbor. Sorry, but legal doesn't make it right.
Closed Thread

Tags
story, call, complete, form, 407.869.9800, rest, hard, millions, lose, women, divorced, hit, couples, money, read, social, strategy, claiming, security, key

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.