Social Security changes will hit couples, divorced women hard.

Social Security changes will hit couples, divorced women hard.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Gold member

Stealing from a business is against the law. File and suspend was a strategy implemented by the SSA and legal. Hardly the same thing. The problems with SS go far beyond this issue and if Congress wanted to really do something to change the trajectory they would, but they don't. If there is any fault to be laid at the feet of Baby Boomers it is that they keep helping to elect the same career politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Do you advocate stealing from a business like Walmart? Just because it is done every day doesn't mean it is right. Gaming the system just weakens it for future generations. Unfortunately, the baby boomer generation is taking it to a new level.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually, I am for these changes. These little "gimmicks" to game the system further degrades SSI long term viability. This type of gaming the system is why SS disability is going broke. They should have made this retroactive across all ages. Quit stealing your children's futures.
Thank You, very well said.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Gold member

I assume you would consider delaying taking SS until age 70 to be "gaming the system" if there is a very good possibility that you will live past age 82?

Quote:
Actually, I am for these changes. These little "gimmicks" to game the system further degrades SSI long term viability. This type of gaming the system is why SS disability is going broke. They should have made this retroactive across all ages. Quit stealing your children's futures.
Divorcees are out of luck
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Divorcees are out of luck

The biggest problem I see is those friends of mine who are divorced now are at the whims of their exs. If a person suspends then the spouse or ex spouse can not collect. So if you are currently divorced and the claiming of social security was not specified (and why under the old law would it have been) in your decree and your spouse suspends their benefits you can't collect. So as I read it, if the ex has not already suspended and will not do so within the next 180 days.(they would have to be 66 by then) and they later suspend the ex can not collect their 1/2 benefits until that person starts collecting so maybe never. So if they did not amass good benefits under their own work history they are out of luck. For young people who have time to plan no big deal. For women who stayed home with the kids and had their husband bail on them in their 50's they are up the creek without a paddle.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I assume you would consider delaying taking SS until age 70 to be "gaming the system" if there is a very good possibility that you will live past age 82?
Not at all. But all that other BS is just a working the system to screw your neighbor. Sorry, but legal doesn't make it right.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I like the way the 99% of the sponsors here respond to the questions WHEN we ask on this forum. I don't like the way this guy baits us every week. My opinion only. Like the rest of us don't watch cnbc or fbn all day long. Every week - tell me something I don't know please.
So why do you bite each week? Maybe not everyone has the vast knowledge you are privileged to. But, it's your opinion and you are certainly welcome to it.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

IMHO most US citizens on SS have paid in over many years under the guise of a contract with the government. It is not an entitlement like welfare. People pay in with non tax deductive dollars they earn. Upon reaching 62 or older they should receive their SS payments as calculated under SS guidelines.

Unfortunately the system is being heavily tapped by medicaid and disability fraud as well as the burden of illegal immigrants getting into it one way or another.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Gold member

So you are the one who determines what is right and wrong? That is the real BS. Sorry, but file and suspend is a perfectly reasonable strategy fully supported by the SSA (just like delaying the start of SS to maximize your benefits in the case of a likely long life, as allowed by the law), done by many people, and there is nothing wrong with it. The only measure of right and wrong is whether the law is being followed. That is why we have laws.

Quote:
Not at all. But all that other BS is just a working the system to screw your neighbor. Sorry, but legal doesn't make it right.

Last edited by tuccillo; 11-14-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
story, call, complete, form, 407.869.9800, rest, hard, millions, lose, women, divorced, hit, couples, money, read, social, strategy, claiming, security, key