Some Portfolio strategies with ETFs

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2022, 08:35 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That only works if one wants to put in the time and effort doing research and analysis in an attempt to pick individual stocks that will outperform market index funds with very low management fees. Most investors claim they are good at that, but very few actually are, unless they are privy to material inside information. Personally, after a long career as a portfolio manager, I prefer to put our portfolio on autopilot and spend my retirement time swimming, golfing, biking, etc

Hey! No need to go all judgey. The condescension in that post is amusing.....in the biz you were you say? Interesting, but no reason to take umbrage with investors who choose a different way.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-17-2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: needed editing
Old 07-13-2022, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey Ken,

I have been visiting that one for the past few days. It is tempting, but I have not bought in yet. I have been in and out and in and out of MMM twice over the years with good returns.

You might want to visit LEG with me. They are an old dividend payer with consecutive increases in the div for more than 50 years. But they are getting pounded right now, perhaps due to the nature of their many pieces of the business.

The right dividends pay us to wait.

Patient Boomer, Manager of the Boomerfund
Love me the Dividend Aristocrats. I’m accumulating many of them at or near their 52 week low. I’m still a couple of years away from 60 so like you I’ll just sit back, relax and collect my dividends.

I’ll take a look at LEG. Thanks.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-14-2022, 01:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Doesn't anybody buy just plain old stocks anymore?

Boomerosaurus
I have never purchased an individual stock, only mutual funds. I believe in investing in the broad stock market indexes, but I never considered individual stock ownership to be anything like being a part owner in a successful company.

For example, McDonald's sells millions of hamburgers every day and they make money on every one of them. So, why does their stock value go down when the overall stock market goes down?
Old 07-14-2022, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Interesting choice of ETFs.. i own some of them .. Most have gotten murdered along with the market. ETFs are not a problem re tax time. MLPs .. which generate K-1's give some people agita, and give tax preparers second homes and boats because folks don;t like to mess with them. ETFs can invest in MLPs, which is perhaps how the confusion started. Regarding the market in general, I like Dennis Gartman's line: In a bear market, he who loses the least wins. Re hiring an advisor who has a PHD, I could care less. There are plenty of academically brilliant people who don;t have an ounce of common sense. Were I to hire a financial advisor again (which I wont) I would go for a battle and time tested person who has successfully weathered ups and downs vs someone with academic credentials..
Old 07-14-2022, 10:10 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Interesting choice of ETFs.. i own some of them .. Most have gotten murdered along with the market. ETFs are not a problem re tax time. MLPs .. which generate K-1's give some people agita, and give tax preparers second homes and boats because folks don;t like to mess with them. ETFs can invest in MLPs, which is perhaps how the confusion started. Regarding the market in general, I like Dennis Gartman's line: In a bear market, he who loses the least wins. Re hiring an advisor who has a PHD, I could care less. There are plenty of academically brilliant people who don;t have an ounce of common sense. Were I to hire a financial advisor again (which I wont) I would go for a battle and time tested person who has successfully weathered ups and downs vs someone with academic credentials..

I don’t know who Dennis Gartman is, but I really like that line of his you quoted. “In a bear market, he (or she ) who loses the least wins.”

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-17-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: needed editing
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I use Vanguard mutual funds. The only advantages I see with ETFs are that the management fees are lower and the ETFs can be sold more than once per day. But, Vanguard fees are so low that they are negligible, and I don't want to sell shares more than once per day. Also, I believe that mutual funds are more tax efficient because they attract more "buy and hold" investors. So, the mutual fund manager is not forced to sell individual stocks in the fund (a taxable event) as often to raise cash to pay investors when they sell shares. Also, I direct that any capital gain distributions and dividends be transferred into my money market account, not reinvested in additional shares. That way, I always have the exact same number shares in my mutual fund. Vanguard keeps track of the cost basis for all mutual funds. No need to calculate it yourself.
Truth we have so much information that I think most of us are confused. MY OPINION, the big three low cost brokerages are Fidelity, T. Rowe Price and Vanguard. I have accounts with all three. Advice is often put it all together. But, advice is also be diversified. Is that not having more than one brokerage account? I think it is. Vanguard offers Admiralty shares in many/most of their funds, With a balance of 50,000 plus management fees drop by roughly 30%, Fidelity for a long time denied this exists and they will not allow you to buy Admiralty shares in a Fidelity account. T. Rowe Price has come up with a similar plan reduced management fees by 20-30% on many/most funds with a balance of roughly 50,000.
Far as fidelity, a big plus, unlike the others with mon to fri 9-5 hours you can reach PEOPLE not a COMPUTER 24 hours a day seven days a week. The Villages they have an office in Lake Sumter a golf cart ride away for many of us. Fidelity now has no commission trades if you do on line trading. I like the Fidelity statement the best-perhaps because I do most of my trading there and I am more used to it.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

I really couldn't add anything to this discussion cuz I'd have any my $$$$ in the back yard in one of our coffee cans
at 22814 SW 145th st.
Closed Thread

Tags
10%, 20%, $voo, 25%, portfolio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.