The stock market is off the rails

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

30,000 Dow
3,600 S&P
12,000 Nas

Thank God it fell of it's rails.

Now we need to make these numbers into floors, not ceilings.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
30,000 Dow
3,600 S&P
12,000 Nas

Thank God it fell of it's rails.

Now we need to make these numbers into floors, not ceilings.

Wonderful. Lots to be thankful for like not having to sit in 5 hour plus lines for food pantry handouts so we can celebrate on Thursday our record breaking economy.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Kinda puts the fear to rest for now about a new administration. Janet Yellen as the new Treasury Secretary is a plus factor for the market.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Kinda puts the fear to rest for now about a new administration. Janet Yellen as the new Treasury Secretary is a plus factor for the market.
I was thinking that the news of the first Covid-19 vaccinations arriving as early as December influenced the stock market.

I never once thought it was anything else.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

sell now before the insider traders sell off causing drop as it been done 100s of times.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was thinking that the news of the first Covid-19 vaccinations arriving as early as December influenced the stock market.

I never once thought it was anything else.
The vaccine is a big boost but not the only one.

Stocks soar as Biden zeros in on Yellen as Treasury secretary | Fox Business
Old 11-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

One would hope that once the virus is under control and the economy back to normal the govt will stop running huge deficits by getting the budget under control and while they are at it bring social security back to a firm footing.

Of course I also believe in the tooth fairy and Santa.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
One would hope that once the virus is under control and the economy back to normal the govt will stop running huge deficits by getting the budget under control and while they are at it bring social security back to a firm footing.

Of course I also believe in the tooth fairy and Santa.
My view. The virus-we all tend to focus on one issue. If, the virus is brought under control by sold as miracles with no side effects vaccines, we will find other issues, see other issues.
Back to normal? That is a language a communication problem. Things never go back to normal. Normal itself, what is normal? We will, we always do create a new normal.
Deficits? Deficits have become the new normal. Our economy, interest rates are controlled by our government. It was not that long ago that a ten year treasury would pay 2% above the rate of inflation oh and not important in Florida, it was it is free of state and local taxes. Interesting and amusing to me the Fed which issues the bonds still take their full bite out of returns. I read a while ago that social security holds 40% of the national debt. As far as the rate of inflation the CPI consumer price index recently was calculated at 3.7%.
What to do? As I am not a professional or an advisor, I can state the truth-beats me.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
My view. The virus-we all tend to focus on one issue. If, the virus is brought under control by sold as miracles with no side effects vaccines, we will find other issues, see other issues.
Back to normal? That is a language a communication problem. Things never go back to normal. Normal itself, what is normal? We will, we always do create a new normal.
Deficits? Deficits have become the new normal. Our economy, interest rates are controlled by our government. It was not that long ago that a ten year treasury would pay 2% above the rate of inflation oh and not important in Florida, it was it is free of state and local taxes. Interesting and amusing to me the Fed which issues the bonds still take their full bite out of returns. I read a while ago that social security holds 40% of the national debt. As far as the rate of inflation the CPI consumer price index recently was calculated at 3.7%.
What to do? As I am not a professional or an advisor, I can state the truth-beats me.
Thanks for mentioning the deficits, which have simply skyrocketed.

I have beat that drum for a few years now, and it has gotten me lots of rude comments.

It will be with a few generations, and we can say we witnessed the explosion and never even cared
Old 12-29-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Just like Drew Brees, they apologized. So it must be okay now..

Fox News apologizes for on-air graphic showing market reaction to violence against black men
it's not the same network anymore. they've done their best & are now included in the msm
Old 12-29-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
The problem is never that simple. There are many college grads who are making minimum wage right now. Due to the pandemic there are also far more people with no income at all right now through no fault of their own. However, raising the minimum wage is also going to raise prices and eliminate jobs and cause more businesses to fail. It is a very complex problem. Also paying someone 15.00 an hour in NYC is a lot different than paying someone 15.00 an hour in Mississippi. I am not in favor of one size fits all solutions.
agreed. this was tried in Ct., & all it did was kill jobs & severely restrict whichever ones were left. it SOUNDS good, but doesn't work
Old 12-29-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Thanks for mentioning the deficits, which have simply skyrocketed.

I have beat that drum for a few years now, and it has gotten me lots of rude comments.

It will be with a few generations, and we can say we witnessed the explosion and never even cared
Just look at all the money we are giving to foreign countries in the relief bill. This is all money that we are borrowing. It is like someone wants to destroy our economy.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage

very good thread. so many opinions & ideas, lots of good info.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Just look at all the money we are giving to foreign countries in the relief bill. This is all money that we are borrowing. It is like someone wants to destroy our economy.

Not nessarily the problem. Do not listen to the loudest voices. This is not the problem. ONE PERCENT !

"Foreign aid is money, technical assistance, and commodities that the United States provides to other countries in support of a common interest of the U.S. and that country. Opinion polls consistently report that Americans believe foreign aid is about 25% of the federal budget, when it is actually less than 1%. As the world’s wealthiest nation, the U.S. provides more assistance than any other country, but a smaller proportion of its gross national product (GNP) than other wealthy nations. Historically, support for foreign aid has been bipartisan."

What every American should know about US foreign aid
Old 12-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage

Not really. The SS trust fund is about $2.9B (funds collected in excess of benefits paid plus earnings) and the national debt is about $23B. That is about 12%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
I read a while ago that social security holds 40% of the national debt.
Closed Thread

Tags
market, stock, future, time, demand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.