Stock Markets

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2020, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastin View Post
Hi, my name is Mike. I read all of the information and as a matter of fact, there is a lot of misconception as to rates of returns and fees.
I've been an accountant for over 40 years and have studied these investments as per my job for 40 years. There has never been any body that has made any where close to 8% return per year. In fact, the largest I've ever seen is 1% per year. The actual way to determine this is simple interest that every one learned in high school. Market value minus your cost basis = unrealized gain or loss divided by the number of years you have had the money invested.
The other thing I want to mention is the actual fees charged by mutual funds are not 1% or .5% per year. It is a deception. The real thing is expenses are always ratio'd against income, never assets, and when you look up the annual reports of each fund, including Vanguard, you will see the "expense to income ratio" is more like 60% of the income. Therefore, they take around 6-7% of your money every year before you make anything. So the market is going down, you still lose an additional 7%. Since the high of the DOW and the NASDAQ and the S&P 500, which is 95% of the market, it has lost as of today 21%, it will take you 30% to gain it back, but what are you gaining back to? A 1% per year rate of return.
These are just facts, not lies, that are presented to you by brokerage firms and mutual fund companies as they do not have a fiduciary responsibility, like accountants or doctors do, which means they can lie to you. There are many lawsuits currently going on that "so called financial advisors" are suing the department of labor not to implement the fiduciary law. In other words, they want to lie to you. These are not opinions. They are facts.
If you have any other questions regarding any of this, feel free to reach out to me via private message.

-- Mike Mastin
Accountant
Sorry, but I don't understand anything in your post. Where should people invest their money?
Old 05-13-2020, 05:14 PM

Thanks
Old 05-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Hi, my name is Mike. I read all of the information and as a matter of fact, there is a lot of misconception as to rates of returns and fees.
I've been an accountant for over 40 years and have studied these investments as per my job for 40 years. There has never been any body that has made any where close to 8% return per year. In fact, the largest I've ever seen is 1% per year. The actual way to determine this is simple interest that every one learned in high school. Market value minus your cost basis = unrealized gain or loss divided by the number of years you have had the money invested.
The other thing I want to mention is the actual fees charged by mutual funds are not 1% or .5% per year. It is a deception. The real thing is expenses are always ratio'd against income, never assets, and when you look up the annual reports of each fund, including Vanguard, you will see the "expense to income ratio" is more like 60% of the income. Therefore, they take around 6-7% of your money every year before you make anything. So the market is going down, you still lose an additional 7%. Since the high of the DOW and the NASDAQ and the S&P 500, which is 95% of the market, it has lost as of today 21%, it will take you 30% to gain it back, but what are you gaining back to? A 1% per year rate of return.
These are just facts, not lies, that are presented to you by brokerage firms and mutual fund companies as they do not have a fiduciary responsibility, like accountants or doctors do, which means they can lie to you. There are many lawsuits currently going on that "so called financial advisors" are suing the department of labor not to implement the fiduciary law. In other words, they want to lie to you. These are not opinions. They are facts.
If you have any other questions regarding any of this, feel free to reach out to me via private message.

-- Mike Mastin
Accountant
Sorry do not believe mutual funds take anywhere close to 7% in fees
Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:

-- Mike Mastin
Accountant
am pretty sure that Warren Buffet makes over 1% per year.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
am pretty sure that Warren Buffet makes over 1% per year.
I'm pretty sure, that you are absolutely correct.

I have to say though, I found it amusing reading Mr. Mastin's convoluted and amazingly incorrect analysis regarding investing.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:49 AM
Gold member

The latest jobs report shows almost 3M more are out of work just last week, so it's hard to imagine that the markets won't react to that.

I think we would be doing well, if even 75% of those jobs come back after a full reopening. My fingers are crossed.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
I'm pretty sure, that you are absolutely correct.

I have to say though, I found it amusing reading Mr. Mastin's convoluted and amazingly incorrect analysis regarding investing.
Was scratching the remaining hair on my head constantly while reading it.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Call me old school, but I have always believed the value of any stock should be discounted future earnings. Future earnings are of course an estimate, but it is very reasonable to expect most companies future earnings to be much lower in light of the global economic upheaval caused by Covid 19. The rate used to discount future earnings should represent a risk free rate (US Treasury rate) appropriately adjusted for risk. Again, in light of the incredible amount of uncertainty currently existing, a much higher risk premium needs to be added to the discount rate. So lower expected earnings and much more uncertainty means stock prices SHOULD BE much lower. However, that’s not the case.

The current market represents values boosted by the Federal Reserve pumping absurd amounts of money into the system to artificially support the market above what the underlying fundamentals justify. This is not sustainable, very dangerous, and the cost of this will come back to haunt future generations. You know something is very wrong when the market does best when we get bad economic numbers, because that gives the market comfort that the Federal Reserve will keep acting irresponsibly. This is VERY SHORTSIGHTED!
Old 05-17-2020, 04:49 PM

I'm in a similar situation but we sold and bought a home recently in the Villages. Things are crazy in the stock market and it may be overvalued. Thinking about selling everything and going into cash since the market has regained and because of market uncertainty .

I've put stop loss limits on some big gainers like Amazon and I'm selling aggressive covered calls in hopes of getting income on the looser stocks that I own. Also selling puts to create income instead of going to cash. Some sectors are doing fine but I will continue to be vigilant.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlord View Post
I'm in a similar situation but we sold and bought a home recently in the Villages. Things are crazy in the stock market and it may be overvalued. Thinking about selling everything and going into cash since the market has regained and because of market uncertainty .

I've put stop loss limits on some big gainers like Amazon and I'm selling aggressive covered calls in hopes of getting income on the looser stocks that I own. Also selling puts to create income instead of going to cash. Some sectors are doing fine but I will continue to be vigilant.
Too complicated to my way of thinking
Old 05-18-2020, 06:14 AM
Default Out of the Market

I have been out of the market for over 5 years now as the market is just too much of a roller coaster ride as I was nearing retirement age. I moved all my retirement funds into different real estate investments. I have a diversified portfolio among office buildings, apartment building, trailer parks, and I own a lot of mortgage notes. As a former landlord, I discovered that being the banker (lender) on a property is far better than being the landlord (owner) of a property. The mortgage note business has changed my life for the better and has allowed me to retire without financial worry.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Gold member

Contently standing on the sidelines and watching the DJIA this morning, only one word comes to mind.

Icarus.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Gold member

50/50 annuities and index funds. The annuity returned 14% between 2/19 and 2/20.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
50/50 annuities and index funds. The annuity returned 14% between 2/19 and 2/20.
If you are referring to a stock market based indexed annuity, a 14 percent return was about 6 percent less than the S&P 500 return for that period. But, you really can't calculate the return on an annuity for an arbitrary one year period. There are so many fees, surrender penalties, loopholes, etc. And, the guarantee that you will not lose money usually only applies to how much you invested vs how much you cash in years later and does not include the fees. Annuities are so deceptive that the companies that sell them will not even allow you to read the contract until you have already bought it. I have asked several insurance companies to send me a copy of their annuity contract, and they all refused to send it to me.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Was scratching the remaining hair on my head constantly while reading it.
The only thing the post actually explains is that one should not take investment advise from an accountant.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, markets, economy, stock, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.