Stocks tumble

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

But, I just read that some guy said the "stock market looks great to me". Another distortion of fact?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
But, I just read that some guy said the "stock market looks great to me". Another distortion of fact?

I would proffer that to "distort" a fact, there needs to be at least...a grain of truth.

With a 1,000 point drop of the DJIA, that grain of truth in "great"...does not exist in any form of the definition.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Given that almost 49% of Americans own NO stocks whatsoever, in any form (pension/company/investment/other)...it certainly doesn't matter to them.

Stock Ownership (trade here)
The Stock Market is an independent verification of how companies are performing. Good performance means more jobs and opportunities for everyone. Indirectly, people who belong to Unions, have company pension plans or have a job from small businesses who benefit from a good economy. University Endowments, invested properly, have huge gains from the stock market and many are using those gains to offer free tuition in California. For example, USC offering free tuition to students in families with less than $80,000 in family income. Without the recent gains in the Stock Market this would not be possible. There are many other examples of how the gains in the Stock Market benefit non owners of stock if you choose to look for it. Google will help but if your motives are not pure one might not want to find these facts.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
The Stock Market is an independent verification of how companies are performing. Good performance means more jobs and opportunities for everyone. Indirectly, people who belong to Unions, have company pension plans or have a job from small businesses who benefit from a good economy. University Endowments, invested properly, have huge gains from the stock market and many are using those gains to offer free tuition in California. For example, USC offering free tuition to students in families with less than $80,000 in family income. Without the recent gains in the Stock Market this would not be possible. There are many other examples of how the gains in the Stock Market benefit non owners of stock if you choose to look for it. Google will help but if your motives are not pure one might not want to find these facts.
You didn't even bother to read my link...now did you?

And I'm one of the fortunate ones, who has benefited greatly...from the long-term rise in stock prices.

I'm also (barely ) smart enough, to research the BIG picture and not rely on little snippets of confirmation bias...to guide my overall viewpoints.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post

A poster posted this earlier.....

"I can predict who enjoys the news most when the stock market drops.

Hmmmmm."

As i said, and nobody objected.......everyone likes when the market is up thus I really dont know why the discussion.

It took a dive...that is worth discussion but seems the subject is going to be changed by those who feel they have that right and nobody else.

Used to be, as I have often said.,..you could come to this forum and interact and learn from others. This area is always something I like to learn about but now days, it seems impossible because of other interests affecting posters and they need control
Old 02-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You need to keep this in perspective. A 1000 point drop when the DOW is at 28,000 is about 3%. Go back and look at how many 3% drops have happened in the past. It's just when the DOW was 5000 and dropped 150 points or 3% it didn't seem so bad. And as an investor you should care more about the S&P or the total stock market than the DOW. One big stock with a significant drop can swing the DOW way out of proportion. Total market drop was 3.29% and that is pretty high for one day. But what you really need to do is just one simple thing. Do nothing.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

No quick bounce today.

Hate to be a downer, but this dip might take months to recover.

Hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No quick bounce today.

Hate to be a downer, but this dip might take months to recover.

Hope I'm wrong.
I trust your assessment. I am sorry to read this.

Do you think it has something to do with the financial impact of trade relating to the Corona Virus?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

The historic P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is 15.54. As of a few minutes ago it is 21.28. It's a long way to the bottom baby.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I trust your assessment. I am sorry to read this.

Hopefully it returns in the next two weeks and someone pulls out my prior post and laughs at me. Hopefully.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Sage

Don't blink, but things aren't looking much better...right now.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Do you think it has something to do with the financial impact of trade relating to the Corona Virus?

Absolutely. Very emotional response lead by computer triggers.

I don't think "we" have good numbers to determine the extent.

Going to take some time to get effective drugs out.

The good thing is it's less than a 5% hit right now.

Remember..........with yesterday's sell-off, somebody was buying.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage

As of right now, between yesterday and today...the DOW loss is about 6.5%.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The historic P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is 15.54. As of a few minutes ago it is 21.28. It's a long way to the bottom baby.
And that is just the average P/E. I remember that at times The DOW P/E has been down to the high 7's, low 8's.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 PM

Just another day in the neighbourhood. buy buy if you have some cash
Closed Thread

Tags
stocks, tumble, yipsters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.