Is it time?

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Is it time?

Is now the time to buy? Or is the market just beginning it's correction?

Just curious to hear opinions so not to worry I don't plan on basing my entire portfolio based on the replies I see here
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Is now the time to buy? Or is the market just beginning it's correction?

Just curious to hear opinions so not to worry I don't plan on basing my entire portfolio based on the replies I see here
If you're talking about buying in The Villages, then it's always time to buy. We have had something like 30 years of appreciation with not one year of having property values drop.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Oh, sorry guess I should clarify. I meant in the stock market.

I'd love to be buying now but still a couple years out.....UGH!!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Sage
Default How about a non answer

I have been saving and investing money since 1980. I have yet to time a single market crash and have no clue what tomorrow brings

It was a pretty easy guess after 2008. If you had cash, buy. Even Washington would not be able to stop that bounce back.

The strategy I use is pick a risk diversification based on your own personal situation and keep investing in that until you have too much. Wouldn't that be something, having too much...
Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Research has shown that people who try to time the market have significantly lower returns than those who buy and hold. When Warren Buffet was asked what his average holding period was for stocks he said: "Forever."
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The principle of dollar cost averaging would indicate that you continually contribute to your retirement plan. I have been saving since 1968 and continue to do so today.

I am very frustrated with the FED and wish they would get out of the way and begin interest rate climb. Retirees are losing money and have so for a very long time
Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 AM

I think I would wait for the market to go down further. We haven't had a " healthy " correction in many years and the stock prices are being supported by fund money with no place to invest. I think they just keep moving money around.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I am very frustrated with the FED and wish they would get out of the way and begin interest rate climb. Retirees are losing money and have so for a very long time
Rubicon, I agree whole heartedly with you. I think the market would take a pretty good hit but I'd rather take our medicine and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inda50 View Post
I think I would wait for the market to go down further. We haven't had a " healthy " correction in many years and the stock prices are being supported by fund money with no place to invest. I think they just keep moving money around.
With interest rates so artificially low there really aren't any other options. Another reason I agree with Rubicon's point above.

For my retirement fund I'm OK with the markets going down temporarily. That's just more I'm purchasing at a lower price..
Closed Thread

Tags
time, basing, plan, based, thumbup, replies, portfolio, entire, opinions, market, buy, beginning, hear, curious, correction, worry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.