Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   U.S. retirees try to keep cool... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/u-s-retirees-try-keep-cool-280786/)

retiredguy123 12-29-2018 11:23 PM

If you are worried about the stock market now, you have not been adequately conservative or diversitified. 30 percent stocks, 30 percent bonds, 40 percent cash, regardless of your age. If you have done that forever, you would be way ahead and not be worried at all.

Down Sized 12-30-2018 03:58 AM

Rocking chair quarterbacks!! OOPS wrong chair.
Rocking chair Financial Advisors.

Topspinmo 12-30-2018 09:23 PM

No worry for me, I got out of the Ponzi scheme long ago. Wall Streeter’s inside trader’s will use any excuse to cause market to drop, then they can buy low and all us suckers caught in down side.

Topspinmo 12-30-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1611487)
Absent something spectacular happening on Monday (in either direction), the DOW will be down almost 10%...for the entire year of 2018.

Since it will be my children who will ultimately reap the benefits, I think they will appreciate me being a believer...of the Oracle of Omaha.

You mean the tax cheat that pays less taxes than his secretary

ColdNoMore 12-31-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1611794)
You mean the tax cheat that pays less taxes than his secretary.

Not only is your statement false (he pays a LOT more money in taxes), methinks you need to educate yourself on the difference between a tax "cheat/evasion"...and tax "avoidance." :oops:

Hint: One is illegal...the other very legal. :ohdear:

Buffett has stated for years, that he doesn't think it's right that his tax rate (NOT taxes paid, as in your statement)...is lower than his secretary's.

In fact...

Warren Buffett on Tax Reform -- The Motley Fool

Quote:

But don't expect the tax cuts to benefit everyday Americans

While Buffett acknowledges that Berkshire's bottom line will be helped by the new tax law, and he predicts the stock market is likely to rise, that doesn't mean he thinks the GOP's tax-reform bill is in the best interest of the American public.

Buffett recently wrote an article for Time magazine in which he explained why trickle-down economics doesn't really work.

However, Buffett points out that historically, trickle-down economics hasn't had the promised effect.

It may surprise you to learn that Buffett thinks the rich, for the most part, don't pay enough taxes.

Bucco 12-31-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1611804)
Not only is your statement false (he pays a LOT more money in taxes), methinks you need to educate yourself on the difference between a tax "cheat/evasion"...and tax "avoidance." :oops:

Hint: One is illegal...the other very legal. :ohdear:

Buffett has stated for years, that he doesn't think it's right that his tax rate (NOT taxes paid, as in your statement)...is lower than his secretary's.

In fact...

Warren Buffett on Tax Reform -- The Motley Fool

You keep insisting on TRUTH, you will ruin a lot of people's 2019. Then you probably don't use for reference what some do.

Moderator 12-31-2018 10:07 AM

Reminder...please stay on topic..."stock market volatility"

Bucco 12-31-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderator (Post 1611887)
Reminder...please stay on topic..."stock market volatility"

I think the last two posts were in reply to post 18, which appears to have passed muster, but was untrue.

You are correct that post took this thread off subject.

Chi-Town 12-31-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1611504)
If you are worried about the stock market now, you have not been adequately conservative or diversitified. 30 percent stocks, 30 percent bonds, 40 percent cash, regardless of your age. If you have done that forever, you would be way ahead and not be worried at all.

Just curious, how has that 40% cash position worked out over the last 10 years?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rustyp 12-31-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1611899)
Just curious, how has that 40% cash position worked out over the last 10 years?

Without a cash position how does one buy when it is a "buying opportunity"?

I love that saying "buying opportunity". Wall Street jargon for lipstick on a pig.

Chi-Town 12-31-2018 01:35 PM

I had a nice positions in good yielding corporate bonds and preferreds. Slowly but surely they were all called. New bonds were so far over par that the yield was like a CD. That forced me more into equities which have paid off 8 out of 10 years.

Sold an amount a few months ago that that I figured was equal to the Trump bump. Put that recently into a one year 2.75 % CD. Wii be anxious to hear what my financial advisor has to say about 2019 during my upcoming review.

tcxr750 01-03-2019 11:12 AM

The market losses are reminiscent of the Great Recession only faster. Stay fully invested and make no withdrawals and in a few years your account should be back to normal. For those of us taking mandatory RMDs from our IRAs the value losses will be even greater.
Hope you youngsters get the message on the downside of conventional IRA vs Roth.

Bucco 01-03-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcxr750 (Post 1612849)
The market losses are reminiscent of the Great Recession only faster. Stay fully invested and make no withdrawals and in a few years your account should be back to normal. For those of us taking mandatory RMDs from our IRAs the value losses will be even greater.
Hope you youngsters get the message on the downside of conventional IRA vs Roth.

Just a "glitch"

dewilson58 01-03-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1611962)
I had a nice positions in good yielding corporate bonds and preferreds. Slowly but surely they were all called. New bonds were so far over par that the yield was like a CD. That forced me more into equities which have paid off 8 out of 10 years.

Sold an amount a few months ago that that I figured was equal to the Trump bump. Put that recently into a one year 2.75 % CD. Wii be anxious to hear what my financial advisor has to say about 2019 during my upcoming review.

The Bigger the dip, The Bigger the bounce.

rustyp 01-03-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1612940)
The Bigger the dip, The Bigger the bounce.

Love it - providing you were not in for the dip. Amazingly I do not have an acquaintance that lost money on the way down. BUT I never had an advisor that told be to get out. This is no more than a giant legalized game of musical chairs. When the music stops and you are not in a chair you will be the ultimate loser.