Universal Life As A Tax Shelter

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2020 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience using Universal Life Insurance as a tax shelter in retirement? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this subject.
Contact Ric Edelman Financial Engines. They will provide the info you need. Suggest you do not sacrifice investment growth for tax concerns. Also, insurance is not an investment - it is insurance. Insurance agents are not fiduciaries (who are required to look out for client’s best interest versus selling a product). Your best advice will come from a fiduciary, such as Edelman advisors. (I am not an Edelman employee). Best wishes on your research.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Unfortunately, many of the "advisors" who convince people to buy permanent insurance are actually insurance salespeople who make a large commission for selling the insurance. It's fine to speak to an advisor, as long as the advisor is not also an insurance salesperson. Most non-biased advisors will not recommend permanent insurance. The primary purpose for life insurance is to replace lost income for someone who needs financial support when you die. A "term" life insurance policy is the most economical product to accomplish that goal, not permanent insurance.
Agree.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:37 AM

My Trust lawyer is adamant about having it for the tax advantages (basically, the policy pays the tax upon the taxable event.. death). My financial advisor is adamant about not having it. Leaving the premiums in an investment account will pay the tax through growth in the account.

In a perfect economy, both strategies will produce the same result. The final decision will depend on you, your risk aversion, and financial position.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:05 AM
Default Advice

I heard it was a GREAT investment - from a guy selling insurance
Old 12-20-2021, 10:14 AM

I think Roth's are fantastic but they have funding limits. Indexed UL (IUL) or Variable UL (VUL) can be effective and IUL protects against downside loss. I stopped contributing to my traditional 401k and am contributing now to just potentially tax free vehicles of Roth and IUL.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

"And this is why IUL is a riskier investment than traditional insurance. Critics say that risk is not properly disclosed and is borne by the policyholder. “Consumers should avoid IUL because the insurers and agents who sell the product have no obligation to work in the consumer's best interest.Sep 23, 2020"

From: Sounding The Alarm On Indexed Universal Life Insurance – Forbes Advisor

"As mentioned above the VUL can provide a death benefit guarantee up through a certain age. But that is really just the bare minimum and is no better than Term. The separate accounts can gain or lose at any rate the market chooses. As such the risk is on your shoulders as a policy holder.Feb 1, 2021"

From: Top 10 Pros and Cons of Variable Universal Life Insurance

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-20-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Before I retired I taught life insurance to neophytes preparing for the licensing exam and to mutual fund and stock broker sales people.

At your age, assuming you live in The Villages and are over 60, I would not recommend Universal Life for you as a vehicle to amass retirement funds. Universal Life is nothing more than term insurance with an interest based side account to pay for the term insurance. Currently, interest rates are so low that most of your money money would be going to pay the cost of the term insurance - which, by the way, gets more expensive each year as you age. I suggest you ask a life insurance agent for an illustration and see how much premium you would have to pay at various interest rates - that are NOT guaranteed by the company.

The life insurance alternative to Universal Life is Variable Life. This works the same as Universal Life but is based on investment performance of various portfolios that you would select based on your risk tolerance. For older people, this can be very risky.

At your stage of life, I would suggest that you consider Life Insurance as a method of giving tax free and without probate to your descendants. I also suggest that, unless you are willing to take on risk, you reconsider a Roth IRA.
Closed Thread

Tags
universal, tax, shelter, life, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.