1.1.11 -- Listen for the Big Boom

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default 1.1.11 -- Listen for the Big Boom

And so it begins. January 1, 2011. The first baby boomers reach 65.

When the boomers started elementary school, new school buildings could not be built fast enough. There were situations in which public schools used places like church basements for a while for all those little kids who were showing up to read about Dick and Jane and Sally and Spot and Puff and Tim. (Remember Tim? He was the teddy bear.)

When the boomers started college, dorms were overflowing to the point where some dorms had bunk beds set up in basement rec rooms at the beginning of first semester. Kids housed there waited for the kids who had the regular rooms to fail and bail.

The first of the boomers were a privileged bunch in one area in particular that is gone forever and has been gone for many years. -- The early boomers could graduate from high school and find really good jobs waiting for them. Not everybody went to college. Nor did they need to go to college. They could get on with their adult lives and do quite nicely because of those good jobs. And our nation thrived.

A lot of press was out there in early 2008 when the boomers hit Social Security at 62.

And now, Medicare, here we come. 1.1.11 -- Boomsday.

And, btw, I put this thread in the investment forum because I am thinking of investing in birthday candles.

er

PS: Here is a link to an article I was reading this morning that I thought maybe some of you might like to read, too.

http://money.usnews.com/money/retire...s-turn-65.html

Last edited by Boomer; 12-31-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
And so it begins. January 1, 2011. The first baby boomers reach 65. When the boomers started elementary school, new school buildings could not be built fast enough. There were situations in which public schools used places like church basements for a while for all those little kids who were showing up to read about Dick and Jane and Sally and Spot and Puff and Tim. (Remember Tim? He was the teddy bear.)
Yea baby, and my favorite was:

See John run, John runs fast
Fast, fast, fast.

See Mary run, Mary runs fast
Fast, fast fast.

Today the only running John and Mary do is to the John!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Yea baby, and my favorite was:

See John run, John runs fast
Fast, fast, fast.

See Mary run, Mary runs fast
Fast, fast fast.

Today the only running John and Mary do is to the John!
Hey skyguy,

I been thinkin' -- .....

RUN BOOMERS RUN! COULD BE A BOUNTY ON YOUR HEADS!

Stretching and Warming Up Boomer
Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Gold member

I wonder what will happen when boomers reach 70 1/2 and start withdrawing funds from their conventional IRAs. Will the stock market take a hit? Interesting times ahead. Anyone willing to share some insight?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Platinum member
Default Investment Tip

Boomers need to invest in the company that creates the pvc composite posts for the cart path intersections. The life span is less than 24 hours and seems to lessen upon the arrival of cold weather. And with the onslaught of boomers arriving it can do nothing but get worse? Or maybe better. Depends on whether you've invested or not. Is this considered insider trading?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It may be insider information and I do believe it is valid but I will forget it soon.

Happy New Year dear Mr. and Mrs. F16. You are two of the reasons I love The Villages.

I am interested in some of my friends whose investment philosophy is a little bit like going to Las Vegas. I can't quite figure it out. We are still on the save it, do we need that? Don't throw it out, if you can use it, fix it philosophy that was driven into us by our parents who barely survived the depression.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Default Baby Boomers

10,000 baby boomers a day will turn 65 this year and it will continue for 19 years! Kind of reminds me when they told "W" that 2,000 World War II vets were dying everyday and he said, "We have to stop that war!"
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default What do boomers want? Need?

OK, 16, I am putting those composite posts on my list with the birthday candles I'm thinking about investing in. And as a hedge against the risk, maybe a few forever stamps. If we work at this, maybe we can start the TOTV Mutual Fund. KMB is paying a nice little dividend of 4.20% right now, so that one might be worth looking into -- but I guess it depends.

- - - - - - -

Hi batman,

About that 70 and 1/2 mark.....I guess we have a few years to think about it. But if I had to take a guess right now about any big market impact, I would guess that boomers confident in the market at that point would have (should have) positioned themselves with a cash moat around their stocks so they would not have to sell stock to pay taxes.

But that's just a thought. I sure don't claim to have any insight, just an interest in market stuff.

And I still feel like the rules have changed forever. Anything can happen.

Hey! Wasn't that one of the days on the Mickey Mouse Club that the early boomers rushed home from elementary school to watch -- Anything Can Happen Day. Who knew The Mouse Himself was preparing the boomers for the stock market.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-02-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Gold member

Boomer,

I guess my real question is when people reaching the mandatory age of withdrawal for IRA funds, will they reinvest the withdrawn funds back into the stock market or in some other area. I may depend a lot on the direction of the stock market at the time.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Boomer,

I guess my real question is when people reaching the mandatory age of withdrawal for IRA funds, will they reinvest the withdrawn funds back into the stock market or in some other area. I may depend a lot on the direction of the stock market at the time.
Speaking of IRA accounts, I am not waiting until I reach 70.5 years of age to withdraw my funds. With so much going around about the possibility of the government taking over our deferred savings to reduce deficits or satisfy their uncontrollable thirst to spend, I just recently started a systematic withdrawal from my account designed to zero out the account is about 4-5 years. The only reason I spread it out over the years is to amortize the taxation on the funds withdrawn.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Sage

I guess it would be the time to get into health care sector funds with the aging of so many.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Gold member

I am in a hold position in health care for now due to uncertainty in upcoming government legislation in this area. I established a position in a health care fund long ago and it has done well over the years up to now. It did lag a little behind the 500 Index this year. Profit in this fund can be affected by government intervention in this area.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default half way into the big boom year......

There is an article today on Yahoo in the middle of the Finance section's opening page. The article is titled "Preparing for Retirement: 8 Essential Steps for Enrolling in Medicare."

Just thought some out there might want to read it maybe. Or perhaps print it to read later.

er
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage

Thanks, Boomer!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.