Anyone see this market as a buying opportunity?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage
Default Anyone see this market as a buying opportunity?

Inquiring minds want to know: What do you see up ahead for the market over the next 2 to 3 years?

Overall, I see a slow steady advance for stocks after this correction runs its course. When interest rates begin going up next year, the market can and will continue going up. I don't see any major problems for the stock market for at least the next two years. After that, my crystal ball gets cloudy.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

I hope my financial consultant is right.

The next couple of weeks will have some violitility, After that, he think's, it will go back up at a sure and steady pace for the next 2/3 years. The economy will continue to grow but at a low rate. Jobs will be created and the fed will raise the interest rate.

You can't time the market and those that try, usually wind-up losing money. You will lose the large upswings, that follow the downswings. IMHO

I never really understood why investors get spooked over a small economy going south, when our economy is doing very well. Our economy is much larger then Europe's, but investors seem to be overly troubled, by what Europe or other parts of the world are doing.

Maybe I'm missing something because I just don't get it.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Default The number one rule in investing

And this NEVER CHANGES. Buy low, sell high.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Location: Monroe, MI, USAF, Ogden UT, Tipp City OH, Troy OH, The Villages since 2002

The Double5 Investment Club meets on the second Monday at 8:00AM in the Savannah Center. Next meeting is this coming Monday 10/13. The club pools the money and buys/sells based on study and group vote.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Default Lots of Time Needed

As a long time investor..

If you do not have 5 to 10 yr. investment time... and a minimum of $50,000 dollars to invest.. if an (we will) have the correction and if major in nature as the last correction you will need 10 yrs or more to get your self back on track... . best to stay clear and fine other avenues of investment (not much to choose from at this time) Large amounts of money will be wise to look for individual Municipal Bonds. 10 to 12 yrs periods for about 4.5% tax free.

Now this is quite debatable .... but many many writers and economists are indicating a major correction possible in the area of 10 to 30+% or more correction due to the world situation and how the dollar is treated. We are not liked in the world speaking of the dollar...

I tried to stay to your question..

Comments Welcome!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
If you do not have 5 to 10 yr. investment time... and a minimum of $50,000 dollars to invest.. if an (we will) have the correction and if major in nature as the last correction you will need 10 yrs or more to get your self back on track.
I agree. It looks like this brief pullback was a good opportunity. Eventually we will have a 20% to 30% correction. But right now, there is a lot of money chasing stocks and dividend paying stocks.

This year has been great for munis... up over 6%. It is really hard to suggest that bonds will have a decent return over inflation in the next 3 years.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Off subject just slightly, but I was having a discussion with friends and we talked about if there will also be an "adjustment" in home prices here in The Villages. There has to be an absolute maximum price that people are willing to pay for homes here in The Villages.

Patio Villas are now approaching $200K, CYV's over $400-$500K in Atrium Dells, Designers over $600K. If you are a property owner with a few years ownership, you are in a great position seeing a $50K-$100K profit, but how long are these prices going to rise??

Thoughts??
Old 10-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Off subject just slightly, but I was having a discussion with friends and we talked about if there will also be an "adjustment" in home prices here in The Villages. There has to be an absolute maximum price that people are willing to pay for homes here in The Villages.

Patio Villas are now approaching $200K, CYV's over $400-$500K in Atrium Dells, Designers over $600K. If you are a property owner with a few years ownership, you are in a great position seeing a $50K-$100K profit, but how long are these prices going to rise??

Thoughts??
Well, who knows. But the last time I went out for a little recon into the brand new areas, my thoughts were, "Seriously? Really? These prices seem to be pushing the envelope."

Call me lazy, but trying to make money on real estate seems like an awful lot of work and way too much aggravation and maybe some loss of sleep. And if you do make it, where are you going to put it next? Trying to sell your home just because the market is high is just another form of trying to time the market. But without the liquidity of individual stocks.

Buying opportunity for stocks? My lazy-self has been sitting here reading and keeping an eye on T. AT&T has been getting beat up a bit lately, driving that percentage dividend higherr and maybe building in a chance to take a gain later. But who knows.

Last edited by Laurie2; 10-24-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is probably more important that your income from investment does not decline. A few years of a down market is less important unless you are selling assets for living exp.

I think this is a buying opportunity as long as you have "cash" reserves so you do not have to sell securities
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Might be a selling opportunity for some stocks.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Gold member

Nobody but Nobody know -- and educated guess maybe-- where are all of the analyst that said gold will go to $2000 -- funny you dont hear from them - nobody interviews them - where are all of the advertisement to buy gold-- every analyst on tv just bought the stock that just went up - and got out of the losers last week when they were high --make up a survey and then go the other way
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

If your financial advisor suggests you should invest in canned goods and weapons manufacturers you could take that as good and bad news. : )
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Sage

I am skeptical of pundits who say the market will drop 30%.

Liz Ann Sonders, VP at Charles Schwab, was the only one, who predicted that last downturn in the market, when it went to 6,600.

I personally believe that most people who panic, and try to time the market, will lose money, when the market takes an upswing.

Market recently lost a 1,000 points, and is back up 700.

There are a lot more savvy investors than I, but the question becomes, "what is their track record for timing the market and only buy low and sell high". My guess is very few, with many losing more money, than they would admit to.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Default another kind of Black Friday

So. . .any patient types out there thinking oil stocks might be on a Black
Friday sale today? Yet?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
So. . .any patient types out there thinking oil stocks might be on a Black
Friday sale today? Yet?
Yes
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.