Village community development bonds

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Default Village community development bonds

A friend of mine noticed in the newspaper an ad for District 12 Village Community Municipal Bonds, These were municipal bonds and they were all sold out. There was no information in the ad as to where to buy the bonds for District 12. Does anyone know about how one can participate in obtaining these municipal bonds if they do it again for District 13? Looking for good municipal bonds to invest in for tax benefit. All info much appreciated.

Bob
Old 04-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage

I vaguely remember seeing an ad in the Daily Sun prior to the offer date of the bonds. I think it was placed by the firm handling the sale of the bonds and included contact info.

So stayed tuned for further developments.

I can't remember reading that District 13 has been created. Have you seen an announcement that is has?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I vaguely remember seeing an ad in the Daily Sun prior to the offer date of the bonds. I think it was placed by the firm handling the sale of the bonds and included contact info.

So stayed tuned for further developments.

I can't remember reading that District 13 has been created. Have you seen an announcement that is has?
Haven't seen anything yet but I am keeping my eyes open. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Default I'm no expert but

There has been some question as to whether these bonds are tax free.
Second hand story from a friend. He had bought some of a previous issue AND THEY WERE CALLED.
Do they represent good value? I do not know.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Default Re: Buying some

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
Haven't seen anything yet but I am keeping my eyes open. Thanks for your input.
I would call a broker-hopefully you have an account.

Far as I know, OR THINK I KNOW, they would be a new issue so there is no commission on them. NOT REALLY TRUE-the commission is already in the issuing price of the bond.

Heck, you might ask at the Villages Community Bank. They have people who gently try to sell investments. They are owned by the Villages. If, nothing else, I would expect they have someone who can direct you.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

I purchased them from FMS bonds.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I would call a broker-hopefully you have an account.

Far as I know, OR THINK I KNOW, they would be a new issue so there is no commission on them. NOT REALLY TRUE-the commission is already in the issuing price of the bond.

Heck, you might ask at the Villages Community Bank. They have people who gently try to sell investments. They are owned by the Villages. If, nothing else, I would expect they have someone who can direct you.
Thanks for the info. I am curious about these bonds and will check with the Community Bank.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I purchased them from FMS bonds.
Not familiar with FMS bonds could you provide a little info about them? Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 AM

I've never heard of them either BUT, as I posted previously. If, they are a new issue the commission is already in the offer price. They will be the same price anywhere. Based on previous experience. Bonds today are,:book entry," translation, computer dots and dashes. You need a broker to hold them.
If, you open an account with a NEW FIRM they can and likely will charge you extra fees. THAT WOULD OF COURSE REDUCE YOUR TRUE NET RETURN.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
Not familiar with FMS bonds could you provide a little info about them? Thanks
https://www.fmsbonds.com/about-us/

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Platinum member

My contact for FMS bonds is Edie Nasello, Sr. Vice President 800-741-1103. She works directly with The Villages.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Sage

Unless you are interested in the novelty of owning bonds associated with our CDDs, why not consider these Vanguard offerings - no load & low cost:
Vanguard Bond Mutual Funds
Vanguard Bond ETFs
Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Unless you are interested in the novelty of owning bonds associated with our CDDs, why not consider these Vanguard offerings - no load & low cost:
Vanguard Bond ETFs
Champion6, I own four different Vanguard bond funds and none of them in recent times are paying what these bonds are paying. I like having some fixed rates in my portfolio. That said, it is challenging to discern what the expense rates are and I'm sure it's greater than Vanguard. Overall, Vanguard cannot be beat for low expense rates.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Vanguard Bond ETFs
the stock market is where you make money. bonds don't offer you any protection from default. if too scared to pick individual stocks, go with an S&P or NASDAQ index fund. the fees on them are minimal. whatever you do, don't buy mutual funds. their fees are crazy high.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Default Who knows?

I'm no expert BUT, for me a large part of knowledge is knowing what you don't know. I AM NOT ADVISING-JUST TRYING TO HAVE YOU AWARE.

BONDS-you can buy individual bonds or a bond fund. Some will wonder how a bond fund pays a higher rate than you can get with individual bonds. READ-you will find that a bond fund-all the ones I am aware of- are leveraged. TRANSLATION=they borrow against bonds they already hold to buy more bonds. IN MY MIND, that is buying on margin.
There is interest involved AND AN INCREASED RISK..
The interest paid by a bond, unless they are tax free bonds, is taxed at the highest income tax rate you pay. If, I recall the max rate is around 46%. Stock dividends have a highest rate of 15%
My brother-in-law, who is no dope, just bought 30 year bonds. It is no secret that THE FED will be increasing interest rates. My brother in law told me-PLEASE DON'T LAUGH-HE IS NOT A DOPE-he planes on holding bonds to maturity. HE WILL BE 71+30=101 WHEN THEY MATURE-OH AND THEY ARE ZERO COUPON BONDS-NO INTEREST PAID FOR 30 YEARS.

STOP-before you buy anything ask yourself WHY and understand other options AND WHY YOU ARE MAKING THE CHOICE TO BUY WHATEVER IT IS.

Since, we KNOW, we will not live forever. Far as stocks, bonds, real estate, it pases ti your heirs at the value at the time of your death.

ROTH IRA-You pay the tax on your IRA now but not as you spend the money-SOUNDS GREAT. Except if you are foreced to do a minimum withdrawal from a regular IRA, you pay tax only on what you HAVE TO withdraw. After you pass away, any balance goes to your HEIRS. You can set up an inherited IRA for them and they too will HAVE TO do a minimum withdrawal. They can elect to take more but not less than the minimum. I have one from my parents.
Thanks to the high rate of return from the stock market.After the FORCED withdrawals and the high market returns, it is actually more than they orignally left to me.
Sadly, they did not have much so it is not much BUT, IT IS A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. .
Closed Thread

Tags
bonds, municipal, district, village, community

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.