Where Can I Post To Get Some Help With Questions On Tax Form 8949?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Gold member
Default Where Can I Post To Get Some Help With Questions On Tax Form 8949?

Where should I post this question? I am wanting to learn how to correctly fill out my tax form 8949. IRS not available for this tax topic and the instructions are a little confusing to me.

I enjoy doing my own taxes and have done so for many, may years and learning new things. This year it is a little more complicated. I'm having to do the IRS form 8949. In the past you could always call the IRS and they were able to explain things to you, but the past couple of years they no longer offer assistance by phone or in person for the more technical things like the Form 8949.

I have a tax free municipal bond that was called and I ended up with Market Discount. I am going to report it on my Schedule B as interest income. On Form 8949 I will enter it in column g with parenthesis around it. Last year the Market Discount was already deducted and the gain on the 1099-B reflected that. Now where I get confused is the fact that the reporting on my 1099-B form is done differently than last year. The gain/loss column was not reduced by the market discount. On Form 8949 in column e Cost or other basis, do I enter the amount shown on my 1099-B or do I adjust the amount up to account for the Market Discount? The instructions said something about increasing your cost basis. I'm sure it is very simple and I am making it more complicated than it really is.

I am hoping someone can teach me the correct way to do this?

Here are some figures from 1099-B to use as an example, if anyone can give me some guidance:

1d Proceeds: 40,000.00
1e Cost or basis: 36,636.80
1f D
1g 818.08
Gain/Loss 3,363.20
Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

Here is a start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZNBqhn80eM

Just Google, there are hundreds more sites with instructions..................
Old 02-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Bogie Shooter, Thanks, but that shows how to fill out the 2014 form. For 2015 they changed the way it is reported on the 1099-B, so that is throwing me off. Plus I had another question probably not covered in this video.
Closed Thread

Tags
form, market, discount, 1099-b, tax, basis, year, cost, column, things, irs, enter, past, complicated, amount, gain/loss, instructions, post, years, reduced, proceeds, 40, 000.00, give, guidance, differently

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.