The Confession

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2023, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Recall being shocked at some of Bob Saget's jokes. Comedians had a game about who could tell the most offensive joke and Bob Saget seemed to win. The one that started this thread is tame by comparison but I do not think I would ever make jokes like these around friends and family.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yeah, Nucky. I would not like anything weird about kids either. I also do not think disabled people should be fodder for jokes, I don’t like Holocaust jokes and I wouldn’t like jokes about those war crimes in Ukraine either.

But I guess a lot of posters here would disagree with me on those things.

The difference is that I don’t like anything where someone helpless is the target. Don’t know why that is so hard to understand. But, obviously, it is.

I knew I would be immediately attacked and called the usual, pre-programmed names by the “yer either with us or agin us” crew — sounding like entitled buttercups who think they can say whatever they want to, and nobody better dare to criticize by pointing out the flaw……

Predictable. I knew it. But I set it up anyway. Actually, kind of fun to watch it play out.

It’s all theater.

Boomer
I get it. I understand your objection and respect your feelings about the joke.

I would have to say that a person may have a different point of view depending on where they are from, what they did for a living, and the environment in which they were raised or dragged up.

I am not judging you because I don't know or remember any of those things about you.

Over the years you get to know people on TOTV'S. My retention is spotty. That being said in Jorsey most people wouldn't give a hoot about most jokes. No time to worry about such things, most people are just trying to survive the way things are nowadays. I think a little levity is okay. That's my vote and I'm sticking with it. I didn't take the OP as being an anti-Semitic person just relaying a funny is all. Take Care, Boomer. I respect your thoughts.

P.S. We just moved and this house has several hundred light switches and outlets. I've got a long way to go to get the screws facing East to West!!!!! Now that's FUNNY! Come on! Do you remember????
Old 01-17-2023, 09:34 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I get it. I understand your objection and respect your feelings about the joke.

I would have to say that a person may have a different point of view depending on where they are from, what they did for a living, and the environment in which they were raised or dragged up.

I am not judging you because I don't know or remember any of those things about you.

Over the years you get to know people on TOTV'S. My retention is spotty. That being said in Jorsey most people wouldn't give a hoot about most jokes. No time to worry about such things, most people are just trying to survive the way things are nowadays. I think a little levity is okay. That's my vote and I'm sticking with it. I didn't take the OP as being an anti-Semitic person just relaying a funny is all. Take Care, Boomer. I respect your thoughts.

P.S. We just moved and this house has several hundred light switches and outlets. I've got a long way to go to get the screws facing East to West!!!!! Now that's FUNNY! Come on! Do you remember????

Hey, Nucky,

Congratulations on your new house!

And, yes, I sure do remember. I loved that debate. And then I found out that Mr. Boomer also has a thing about screws all going the same direction in the switch plates and outlets. I had no idea I had been living in such an organized house. He said he knew an electrician who did it like that and figured it looked like a plan.

Please pace yourself with that new house though, I hope you can get some sleep while knowing they’re not all done.

Re. The joke under controversy: It was a pretty mild one. I know. And it was not even that I was simply knee-jerk branding it as anti-Semitic. It’s not that simple. It’s that anything making a joke out of the Holocaust, no matter how, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I’ll call it out.

Now, for a little more about me that might explain my reaction to the joke.

It could have been about how my memory works. My memory is not Marilu Henner weird — not eidetic — not truly photographic but pretty visual and long.

I was born in the early part of the Boom. I don’t remember trying to learn how to read because I could read as long as I can remember — and I was always reading everything that was in front of me.

It was a few years after the end of WWII when a Life magazine at our house had an article and photos of the Camps and there was a Nazi posing with his human skin lampshades……

I was a little girl, but I can still clearly remember trying to comprehend what I was reading about and what I was seeing in those horrific black and white pictures. I can still see those pictures. I could not understand. Still can’t.

So I guess that joke pushed a button and I decided not to let it go, even though I knew what to expect around here.

Of all the slings and arrows I got in this thread, there was only one that bothered me, surprised me, and kind of horrified me. It was the one that said something to the effect of — “Get over it. That was over 75 years ago.” (That’s not the exact wording of that post, but close enough.)

There was a US Holocaust Museum exhibition titled “Lest We Forget.”

I don’t forget. And I am well aware that we are living in a time when we are forgetting a lot of things.

Anyway, enough about me and why I could not let that joke go, although I knew not to bother, I am still glad I did.

And, Nucky, congrats again to you and Mrs. Nucky on finding your new home……

and thanks for the memories of the old fun times at TOTV High. Now, you better get yourself back to screwing. (That’s a lot of switch plates and outlets you got there.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-17-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

That’s a great way to look at something like this and have a little fun. I’m going to be 65 in June. I have no idea other than what I have learned from my Dad and Grandmother about that terrible time in this world.
I watched a series called Hunter with Al Pacino. It was so sad. I was injured and basically in bed for 2 years and was ashamed that I really didn’t know much about WW II and tried to learn as much as I could. This was just a few years ago. Terrible times. That’s why I respect your views so much. Plus in all the time you’ve been on this forum you NEVER cries about anything. You just state your case, pretty well I must say! Take Care. Back to screwing, I have a deadline. Lol
Old 01-18-2023, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

Nucky! Nucky! How can you keep making the same mistake?
North to South is the correct direction for screw head alignment!

Good luck to you both in your new house!
Old 01-18-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey, Nucky,

Re. The joke under controversy: It was a pretty mild one. I know. And it was not even that I was simply knee-jerk branding it as anti-Semitic. It’s not that simple. It’s that anything making a joke out of the Holocaust, no matter how, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I’ll call it out.
That is the problem. Most of the people who read it did not associate it with the holocaust but rather with a horny little man and that was the humor. That is where the tolerance kicks in. The OP had a right to post it and people had a right to read it. Just because it bothered you doesn't mean everyone's rights should be taken away. You should have just scrolled by it instead of calling it out. It bothers me that people think their own ideologies are more important than everyone else's.

It was a very harmless joke and btw I do have Jewish friends and family.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Bbbbb,,.

Last edited by larbud; 01-18-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Recall being shocked at some of Bob Saget's jokes. Comedians had a game about who could tell the most offensive joke and Bob Saget seemed to win. The one that started this thread is tame by comparison but I do not think I would ever make jokes like these around friends and family.
Search for the short film, "The Aristocrats", where multiple comedians tell the same dirty joke... Gilbert Gottfried was the "winner" imho...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-18-2023, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Search for the short film, "The Aristocrats", where multiple comedians tell the same dirty joke... Gilbert Gottfried was the "winner" imho...
I saw that here in the Villages or maybe in Oldsmar, FL.
Closed Thread

Tags
priest, father, great, asked, war

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.