The Confession

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default The Confession

An elderly Italian man who lived in rural Italy, went to the local church for confession. When the priest slid open the panel in the confessional, the man said:

"Father.. During World War II, a beautiful Jewish woman from our neighborhood knocked urgently on my door and asked me to hide her from the Nazis. So, I hid her in my attic."

The priest replied:

"That was a wonderful thing you did, and you have no need to confess that."

"There is more to tell, Father. She started to repay me with sexual favours. This happened several times a week and sometimes twice on Sundays."

The priest said, "That was a long time ago and by doing what you did, you placed the two of you in great danger, but two people under those circumstances can easily succumb to the weakness of the flesh. However, if you are truly sorry for your actions, you are indeed forgiven."

"Thank you, Father. That's a great load off my mind. But I do have one more question."

"And what is that?" asked the priest.

"Should I tell her the war is over?
Old 01-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Ouch.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Not funny to those who lost Family !
Old 01-15-2023, 07:50 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I think this one crosses the line, actually more than one line. . .

There are some things that should not be the stuff of jokes.

Boomer
Old 01-15-2023, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomer
Our skins get progressively thinner and thinner.

Back in the day, just out of high school, I worked taconite plant construction on Minnesota's Mesabi Iron Range. Tough work but the pay was good and for a young buck just getting out into the real world it was great. As you can imagine the humor among the workers was as rough and ready as the workers themselves. Jokes that made the rounds then would never be told today (at least in some places). Much of the work force were "Bohunks"; Serbians, Slovenians, Croatians. Lots of Italians there too, only we never called them that. I was a Bohunk. A standard joke was "how do you tell the (Italians) from the Bohunks?" "Simple. The (Italians) were the guys in suits looking down into the pit. The Bohunks were the guys with shovels at the BOTTOM of the pit."

It was funny, and regardless of ethnicity we all laughed at it. No one felt put down, racially slammed, etc. The Professionally Offended didn't exist back then. Today? Odds are that the thinner-skinned folks would be offended, or at least think they should be offended, at the joke.

I don't necessarily think that represents progress.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:12 AM

I laughed.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce213 View Post
I laughed.
I did too only because it reminded me of the one involving the Staten Island Ferry!
Old 01-15-2023, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Quote:

Boomer
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 01-15-2023, 03:32 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Our skins get progressively thinner and thinner.

Back in the day, just out of high school, I worked taconite plant construction on Minnesota's Mesabi Iron Range. Tough work but the pay was good and for a young buck just getting out into the real world it was great. As you can imagine the humor among the workers was as rough and ready as the workers themselves. Jokes that made the rounds then would never be told today (at least in some places). Much of the work force were "Bohunks"; Serbians, Slovenians, Croatians. Lots of Italians there too, only we never called them that. I was a Bohunk. A standard joke was "how do you tell the (Italians) from the Bohunks?" "Simple. The (Italians) were the guys in suits looking down into the pit. The Bohunks were the guys with shovels at the BOTTOM of the pit."

It was funny, and regardless of ethnicity we all laughed at it. No one felt put down, racially slammed, etc. The Professionally Offended didn't exist back then. Today? Odds are that the thinner-skinned folks would be offended, or at least think they should be offended, at the joke.

I don't necessarily think that represents progress.

Nope. Not thin skinned. Also, not surprised that I was immediately categorized. I knew what the reaction would be when I wrote that post this morning.

Here’s the thing — the example given by the first one to take umbrage with me — and quoted here above — is not the same thing…….

Ethnic jokes have been a part of our American Melting Pot forever and those kinds of jokes can let us laugh at ourselves — and laugh with others…..

For instance:

All those “how many (whoever) to change a lightbulb” jokes are funny to me. Those can be ethnic jokes. They can also be religious denomination jokes or regional jokes or job jokes. All in fun.

Anyway, I am not thin skinned. But Holocaust jokes cross the line where I am concerned. And I feel the same way about Helen Keller jokes. (There is no lightness, no snappy comebacks, to such jokes.)

Hope that’s not too nuanced to be understood.

Boomer
Old 01-15-2023, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,039 Times in 5,331 Posts

Quote:
Nope. Not thin skinned. Also, not surprised that I was immediately categorized. I knew what the reaction would be when I wrote that post this morning.

Here’s the thing — the example given by the first one to take umbrage with me — and quoted here above — is not the same thing…….

Ethnic jokes have been a part of our American Melting Pot forever and those kinds of jokes can let us laugh at ourselves — and laugh with others…..

For instance:

All those “how many (whoever) to change a lightbulb” jokes are funny to me. Those can be ethnic jokes. They can also be religious denomination jokes or regional jokes or job jokes. All in fun.

Anyway, I am not thin skinned. But Holocaust jokes cross the line where I am concerned. And I feel the same way about Helen Keller jokes.

Boomer
I laughed when I first read it and after thinking about it, not at all something to make jokes about. Hope mods take it down.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

For instance:

Anyway, I am not thin skinned. But Holocaust jokes cross the line where I am concerned. And I feel the same way about Helen Keller jokes. (There is no lightness, no snappy comebacks, to such jokes.)

Boomer
Trust me. The "nuance" is impossible to miss.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the funny stuff! Never heard that joke before.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:17 AM

Having been to Confession many times, I can relate
Old 01-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Why would you post that here?
Old 01-16-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
It’s a joke…a bad joke…but a joke nonetheless. It’s not the world’s job to tiptoe around your triggers. We all lost someone.

Tags
priest, father, great, asked, war

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.