Here's the Roundabout Solution

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We could do a demolition derby at much lower electrical cost.
Remember those races at the old country fairs, they were held on a figure eight track. Usually they were busses. Kind of reminds me of that.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

Try this: <https://www.districtgov.org/community/Roundabout-02-08-12.pdf> . Before they hand out the guest or temporary resident passes, the applicant should have to pass a test on roundabout safety.
Basic rules, whoever is in it has right of way over whoever is out; never pass in a roundabout; do not change lanes within the roundabout; signal your intended turn. And look out!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:04 AM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Let's look at this with a more positive "arcade" attitude...Disney just gets closer and closer!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Personally I will not go to the inside Lane because I have to get off on the 3rd exit. I simply watch the traffic to make sure no one is coming at least 1/4 the diameter behind me or in front of me and stay in the outside Lane which is the safest thing to do. You don't like it don't drive so fast
And THAT mentality of thinking is EXACTLY why we have soooooo many accidents in the RBs...please rethink your driving tactics!!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:14 AM

What happens when the 2 lanes leading into and out of the roundabouts become the point of congestion? Just wish everyone would take the time to understand the roundabout guidance. These follow US DOT recommendations!
Old 09-29-2021, 10:02 AM
Default Just like a stop sign

A wise, previous poster on a previous thread about round-a-bouts put this in simple terms that I thought made it very clear. Just picture each round-a-bout as if you are coming to a stop sign.
If you plan to turn right, you must be in the right lane.
If you plan to go straight, you can be in either lane.
If you plan to turn left or make a u-turn, you must be in the left lane.
It really does follow a very well-known and common-sense traffic pattern.
Add that those coming into the roundabout must merge, and you have a smooth traffic flow. Just like a stop sign (or traffic light), it works well as long as drivers obey the rules.

Unfortunately, those who want to remain in the right lane when making a left turn (3rd exit) are basically cutting across traffic and creating a hazard. Thus, the sage advice - always look out!!!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
.......or learn to navigate a roundabout properly, which also makes to much sense I guess!

Sure, you can do it properly but that does not mean that everyone else around you can learn. Plus you have most of the traffic coming from outsiders that take shortcuts through the villages to avoid the traffic and lights on the highways.
Everyone on here that THINKS they know how to "navigate" the roundabouts argues with everyone else as to how it must be done.

Two lanes in circles this small is ridiculous.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKYGAL View Post
A wise, previous poster on a previous thread about round-a-bouts put this in simple terms that I thought made it very clear. Just picture each round-a-bout as if you are coming to a stop sign.
If you plan to turn right, you must be in the right lane.
If you plan to go straight, you can be in either lane.
If you plan to turn left or make a u-turn, you must be in the left lane.
It really does follow a very well-known and common-sense traffic pattern.
Add that those coming into the roundabout must merge, and you have a smooth traffic flow. Just like a stop sign (or traffic light), it works well as long as drivers obey the rules.

Unfortunately, those who want to remain in the right lane when making a left turn (3rd exit) are basically cutting across traffic and creating a hazard. Thus, the sage advice - always look out!!!

There is NO left turn or Straight in any circle in the Villages. That is the problem with folks here. They do not understand and probably never will.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Sage

They could always install cloverleafs where the circles are now.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
There is NO left turn or Straight in any circle in the Villages. That is the problem with folks here. They do not understand and probably never will.
But there are signs before every circle showing what lane you should be in. Apparently they don’t understand and cannot read signs.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Though technically, everyone in the circle is making a continuous left turn until they turn their wheel to drive straight out of the circle.

Otherwise, if I'm going south on Buena Vista and get to a particular circle I can either turn right onto 44A west, go straight on Buena Vista, turn left onto 44A east, or make a U-turn. Telling someone to turn right onto Buena Vista at their first opportunity which happens to be the second exit or telling someone to turn right onto 44A but at the third exit and not at the first but be sure to be in the left lane since you are going three quarters of the way around is just unnecessarily confusing.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Though technically, everyone in the circle is making a continuous left turn until they turn their wheel to drive straight out of the circle.

Otherwise, if I'm going south on Buena Vista and get to a particular circle I can either turn right onto 44A west, go straight on Buena Vista, turn left onto 44A east, or make a U-turn. Telling someone to turn right onto Buena Vista at their first opportunity which happens to be the second exit or telling someone to turn right onto 44A but at the third exit and not at the first but be sure to be in the left lane since you are going three quarters of the way around is just unnecessarily confusing.
I think a lot of the confusion arises from those who post that EVERY turn out of a RB is a right turn. A simple lesson in geometry and topology would solve that. Just follow the signs or the instructions in the pamphlet they give every new owner.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My solution is a more serious one:
Go to 1 Lane inside instead of two were most mishaps happen.
Makes to much sense I guess
I agree. The only nice thing about the roundabouts is the view of the flowers and if you look too long that causes an accident - so, you can't even enjoy the one virtue of them. My main problem with them is the COST - of CONSTANTLY replacing the flowers. And the workers truck has to park inside the roundabout (I think I am correct about that) and even THAT invites an accident.
......I would put stoplights on the most traveled circles and go with the SINGLE lane on the less traveled roundabouts.
......As a side note....in a few years, we will all be in electric self-driving vehicles. I imagine that they will be able to handle the roundabouts (AKA fender-benderabouts). And I love those electric non-polluting Amazone trucks...amazing!
Old 09-29-2021, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Second exit from the left lane is legal.

Look at the BIG green signs that are up before all the roundabouts. Right lane for going right, 1st exit and straight, 2nd exit. Left lane go straight, 2nd exit or left, 3rd exit. Easy peasy if you have half a brain.
Well I guess I have 1/4 of a brain because after the first sentence you lost me.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
If the villages developers really wanted to fix the roundabouts they would have watched the 1950s Italian movie to realize that roundabout should be at least three to four hundred percent larger in diameter. There simply is not enough time for a driver to go from one lane to another and back again to get out of the circle. I come from New Jersey where they were planning around about I have never seen one so small unless it was in a private home
I REALLY agree with this post. This IS the best post that I have EVER read on this roundabout subject.
Closed Thread

Tags
coolsmileyclap2icon_wink, roundabout, solution

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.