Default I am not a fan of Go Fund Me's.

Go Fund Me in 1960.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Boy pushing lawnmower..jpg
Views:	200
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	78793  

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Hahahahahahaha!!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

I am assuming you really mean this as a joke. Go fund me pages has helped many people with cancer and end-of-life, to fund things that are not covered by health insurance or their savings has completely run out.

When our friends child was dying both parents had good health insurance however there were many things that were not covered. A friend of the family started a go fund me page that helped one parent at a time take a leave of absence from their job to be with their child 24/7, without that would’ve never happened.

The bonus of go fund me page, no one comes to you face to face or makes you feel guilt. You have the option of donating or not, you can be anonymous, or leave your name. It is probably in the medical field one of the most thoughtful ideas To help someone that would never ask for help.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I am assuming you really mean this as a joke. Go fund me pages has helped many people with cancer and end-of-life, to fund things that are not covered by health insurance or their savings has completely run out.

When our friends child was dying both parents had good health insurance however there were many things that were not covered. A friend of the family started a go fund me page that helped one parent at a time take a leave of absence from their job to be with their child 24/7, without that would’ve never happened.

The bonus of go fund me page, no one comes to you face to face or makes you feel guilt. You have the option of donating or not, you can be anonymous, or leave your name. It is probably in the medical field one of the most thoughtful ideas To help someone that would never ask for help.
You are absolutely right and they are frequently misused and used by unscrupulous people to get money for themselves. It happens on many blogs around The Villages. People who care can usually get contributions to people who need them.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

I remember vaguely one of these kinds of donation sites had a post from someone wanting money. It was set up initially as a "sorta-joking, but not really" things. They didn't "need" the money, there was no emergency. But they wanted to do something special that they couldn't otherwise afford to do. Might've been an anniversary trip or a nice wedding reception instead of pot-luck in the back yard, I really don't remember. They were up front and honest about their situation - they weren't in dire straits. They were hard-working people, paid their bills on time, set aside money for usual things like yearly week off and the kids' college funds. But they had nothing left over for this one special event that they REALLY wanted.

They ended up getting a lot more than they'd asked for, and put the leftover into their kids' college funds. I thought it was a nice idea, and admired their honesty. I didn't donate, but I thought it was a nice community gesture. At many businesses, the offices have a "Sunshine Club" that collects weekly or monthly from employees to cover the costs of birthday parties, work anniversaries, or even babysitting services when a co-worker will be recovering from surgery. I see nothing wrong with someone asking for similar on the internet, as long as they're honest about it.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Truly having legitimate needs is one thing,
but looking to others to fund your desires is quite different in my opinion!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage

It was just a JOKE by the OP. In the "Just for Fun" category!
Closed Thread

Tags
fund, mes, fan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.