Math Problem

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2020, 12:40 PM
Default Relaxium

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I saw a commercial on television today for a product called Relaxium. They say that it will help you fall asleep. And, it will make you fall asleep 140 percent faster if you use the product. Can someone please tell me what that means? If you normally fall asleep in 30 minutes, how long will it take to fall asleep when using the product? It seems to me that, if you fall asleep in no time, that would be 100 percent faster than 30 minutes. So, how can you fall asleep any faster than that?
I too signed up. But, beware it is an automatic refill scam. If you do not cancel it will continue to come and you will be billed. Then fight for a refund from the company and your credit card company. Call immediately to cancel.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Now there is a useful comment. It used to be that companies had to have evidence to support claims of medical benefit. The requirement was that medications be both safe and effective for OTC sale. And companies could not make a medical claim without support. This rule still exists on paper but there is no enforcement as it has been weakened by allowing weasel words like "supports your immune system" Well sugar is needed by your immune system and I suppose that 5 pound page of sucrose could use that claim.

The requirement for effective still applies to prescription drugs but only safety is required for OTC products that use natural ingredients like leaves and twigs. Additionally there is no requirement for proving safety before marketing. Only if the FDA receives complaints is safety investigated. You can thank the OTC herbal industry and their bought and paid for legislative friends [Orrin Hatch] for this mess. OTC products with real drugs in them have remained regulated. Homeopathic remedies and herbals are buyer beware.

Reading this comment may improve your mental alertness, support your health, and reduced your risk of being struck by lightning.
So guess I should only read the last line while indoors during a thunderstorm.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnyce View Post
I too signed up. But, beware it is an automatic refill scam. If you do not cancel it will continue to come and you will be billed. Then fight for a refund from the company and your credit card company. Call immediately to cancel.
Cute when they offer to send you the samples free but you should pay shipping so can we have your cc number.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I saw a commercial on television today for a product called Relaxium. They say that it will help you fall asleep. And, it will make you fall asleep 140 percent faster if you use the product. Can someone please tell me what that means? If you normally fall asleep in 30 minutes, how long will it take to fall asleep when using the product? It seems to me that, if you fall asleep in no time, that would be 100 percent faster than 30 minutes. So, how can you fall asleep any faster than that?
Maybe you can bank the time.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

I really suspect the ad has no idea how fast you fall asleep, but 140% sounds like such a nice figure and if you actually believe it, the pill may be like a placebo and help you to fall asleep because you are expecting to. How are you going to prove them wrong? I drink a small glass of warm milk, take a nice bath and fall asleep 185% faster and more relaxed.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:07 PM

I'm a retired math professor and I do agree that 15 minutes can be seen as a 100 percent improvement on 30 minutes. You fell asleep twice as fact. When something doubles it is 100 percent "better" (or worse, depending one what you are measuring). Another way to look at it - you went from -30 to -15, because you are in the negatives while awake - just a different model here, not necessarily the only way to look at it. A lot of this is predicated on how models are set up and which variables are accepted as "initial" and which are considered negative/positive. There are options in how to set up the problem. Relaxium is not telling us their chosen problem set-up.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
I'm a retired math professor and I do agree that 15 minutes can be seen as a 100 percent improvement on 30 minutes. You fell asleep twice as fact. When something doubles it is 100 percent "better" (or worse, depending one what you are measuring). Another way to look at it - you went from -30 to -15, because you are in the negatives while awake - just a different model here, not necessarily the only way to look at it. A lot of this is predicated on how models are set up and which variables are accepted as "initial" and which are considered negative/positive. There are options in how to set up the problem. Relaxium is not telling us their chosen problem set-up.
Thanks. I was not a math professor, but I got straight A's in math from grade one through graduate school. To me, doing something "faster" means that you do it in less time than you would normally take to do it. So, the maximum percentage that you can reduce the time is 100 percent, which would mean that you do it in no time at all. But, it is impossible to do anything more than 100 percent faster than you normally take to do it, unless you believe in the concept of negative time. Just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:

R123.............You R a numbers guy.............140% faster mean you fell asleep on the toilet, the final duty b/4 bed.

(sorry i'm so late to the thread, drove 13 hours today)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks. I was not a math professor, but I got straight A's in math from grade one through graduate school. To me, doing something "faster" means that you do it in less time than you would normally take to do it. So, the maximum percentage that you can reduce the time is 100 percent, which would mean that you do it in no time at all. But, it is impossible to do anything more than 100 percent faster than you normally take to do it, unless you believe in the concept of negative time. Just my opinion.
Come back here in say 100 years and suspect you will be able to go back in time.

After all they did do it on Star Trek.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 AM

Sleep is over rated
Old 09-29-2020, 08:26 AM

I completely agree - there is an over-the-counter SSRI in this compound, and the side effects of those chemicals are quite bad for many people. (Big pharma, however, makes huge profits on prescription SSRIs).

I gave more thought to the 140% faster claim. I realized there was a placebo group. So if the placebo group takes and average of 160 minutes to fall asleep and the Relaxium group takes 25 minutes to fall asleep , the "Relaxium Group" was more than twice as fast (twice as fast is "100 percent faster) - in fact, 140% faster. Falling asleep in 30 minutes would have been twice as fast compared to falling asleep in 60 mintues, but the "Relaxium Group" exceeded that.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
I completely agree - there is an over-the-counter SSRI in this compound, and the side effects of those chemicals are quite bad for many people. (Big pharma, however, makes huge profits on prescription SSRIs).

I gave more thought to the 140% faster claim. I realized there was a placebo group. So if the placebo group takes and average of 160 minutes to fall asleep and the Relaxium group takes 25 minutes to fall asleep , the "Relaxium Group" was more than twice as fast (twice as fast is "100 percent faster) - in fact, 140% faster. Falling asleep in 30 minutes would have been twice as fast compared to falling asleep in 60 mintues, but the "Relaxium Group" exceeded that.
I guess if you define "twice as fast" as the same as "100 percent faster", then you are correct.

But, I would define "100 percent faster" as zero time and "twice as fast" as being "50 percent faster". 160 minutes x 0.5 = 80 minutes. So, 80 minutes is 50 percent faster than 160 minutes.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Default 😂😂😂

Quote:

I want to know how it knows when to stop making you sleep. Kinda like a thermos can keep things hot or cold. HOW DO IT KNOW😂😂😂😂
Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wish these companies had to prove their stuff works before making outlandish claims.
ikr! i asked my dr rizzi about some of the claims. he said most of the time it's a sales pitch for something no more powerful than vitamins. if i need to fall asleep, put on public tv, lol. no loud ads & most of the time the content is so slow paced, i drop off in minutes
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
ikr! i asked my dr rizzi about some of the claims. he said most of the time it's a sales pitch for something no more powerful than vitamins. if i need to fall asleep, put on public tv, lol. no loud ads & most of the time the content is so slow paced, i drop off in minutes
For me soccer or golf will work
Closed Thread

Tags
fall, asleep, faster, product, percent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.