What are your fun memories from childhood?

Unread 03-15-2024, 02:14 PM
Smile What are your fun memories from childhood?

Remember this?

- bread bags on feet before putting on your snow boots

-stealing beans, peas, carrots from gardens and drinking from the hose. Apples off of trees.
If we went home we'd get chores assigned

- going to your friend's church because you hung out at their house for days, and friends mom adding you to the house chore list

- "that rich kid" on the block had cable, Pong, Sesame Street, Quisp/Capn Crunch & Twinkies

- fear of the basement. Do the rapid dog paddle up the stairs and do NOT look back!

-getting "beaned" during dodge ball with that gigantic rubber ball

-calling radio station to recite "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions all on a sesame seed bun" to get free Big Mac

What's your list?
Unread 03-15-2024, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Getting dressed up for church, climbing trees, sled riding, homemade ice cream, hide and seek, nuns in habits, neighborhood baseball game, fresh corn on the cob, vinyl records, drive-in movies, fruit trees and berry bushes, arcade games, disco, roller skating rinks, equal rights amendment, and the farrah flip.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-15-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 03-15-2024, 02:37 PM

Stealing a beer from the case at the bottom of the American Legion stair case. They left it down there in the winter so it would be ice cold. Me and 3 or 4 buddies would take hours planning the crime and finally consuming our prize on the rare occasion we were successful. Looking back I'm convenienced those old men knew what we were up to because they would ambush us about 75% of the time but they never turned us in. The first time or 2 we had to poke a hole in the can with a screwdriver or pocketknife because no one had a can opener.
Unread 03-15-2024, 02:52 PM

The day JFK was shot
The day MLK was shot
My brother going to Viet Nam
The day RFK was shot
The day George Wallace was shot

They are all with God and praying for us

Lord, what a violent country
Unread 03-15-2024, 03:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,029 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
The day JFK was shot
The day MLK was shot
My brother going to Viet Nam
The day RFK was shot
The day George Wallace was shot

They are all with God and praying for us

Lord, what a violent country

All definitely among my "fun memories".

You don't want to count the Challenger disaster, among your fun times?
Unread 03-15-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
All definitely among my "fun memories".

You don't want to count the Challenger disaster, among your fun times?
I did watch that live unfortunately. Funny how just trying to do your job gets you killed...isn't it? That was 1986 and I was talking much earlier when I was very young.

I thought it was cool to see a M46 Patton tank sitting and blocking Eastern Ave and Patterson Park Ave during the race riots. Didn't understand it when I saw it. We went into town every Sunday after Mass to go to Mikulski's Bakery, Ostrowski's for homemade kielbasa and kieska, and if we were really lucky the old polish ladies would be making handmade pieroges at one of the Fells Point Parishes. One Sunday there was this giant hulk of Iron directly in front of the bakery, protecting what was left of the little bit of dignity our, my family's, ancestors had. It was very turbulent times then, much like now. Many people chose to ignore it, just like now. I'm embarrassed by the city I grew up in and I know who is to blame.

I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer and it wasn't my initial thought. I had all the usual fun like rolling in fields of splendor and sneaking beers. Just thought I'd give a realistic view of the 60's as a child of a working class family. I will say I had a great time in Scouting....all the way to Eagle. It taught me life skills that help me to this day. My Dad was very nurturing and will always be the best friend I've ever had.
Unread 03-15-2024, 04:34 PM

Camping in the back yard
Riding mini bikes.
Building tree forts.
Unread 03-15-2024, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=AMB444;2311504]Remember this?

- bread bags on feet before putting on your snow boots

-stealing beans, peas, carrots from gardens and drinking from the hose. Apples off of trees.
If we went home we'd get chores assigned

- going to your friend's church because you hung out at their house for days, and friends mom adding you to the house chore list

- "that rich kid" on the block had cable, Pong, Sesame Street, Quisp/Capn Crunch & Twinkies

- fear of the basement. Do the rapid dog paddle up the stairs and do NOT look back!

-getting "beaned" during dodge ball with that gigantic rubber ball

-calling radio station to recite "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions all on a sesame seed bun" to get free Big Mac

What's your list? [/QUOTE

-Big Macs and Whoppers true to size in styrofoam containers
Unread 03-15-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Vegetables and fruit in the backyard
Fresh egg’s every day (not getting chased by the mean rooster back to the house)
Playing hide and seek until you were called home
Making a snow fort with 4’ of fresh snow because school was canceled
Family vacation with grandparents.

Summer at the family Dairy Farm, Tobacco Farm and Horse Farm watching all the new babies but learning very early
the Bull is mean,
many race horses bite,
and tobacco worms are giant scary monsters
Unread 03-15-2024, 05:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,029 Times in 726 Posts

About 10 years ago, I was playing golf with a guy and he uttered a 5 word phrase, that brought back more memories than imaginable. It could have been a New England phrase, I don't know. But for those who recognize it, it will bring back irreplaceable memories.

"Invisible man on 2nd Base".
Unread 03-15-2024, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

No cell phones.
No Brutal murder, nude, foul mouthed swearing and everybody screwing everybody in theatres and home tv.
Unread 03-15-2024, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Attending a small public elementary school that taught reading, writing and arithmetic. The principal played piano and we sang. A music teacher came once a week as did a Spanish teacher. Walking or riding my bike the two blocks home for a hot lunch.

Learning to cuss in Spanish and German, a little in Assyrian and Greek. Vastly increasing my English cussing vocabulary being a batboy for the Kirtland Flyers, a semi-pro baseball team.

Playing marbles in the dirt in the spring

Shooting my Daisy pump BB gun until its spring finally broke

Building model airplanes from scratch and then flying them

Building kites and flying them

Playing "Smear the Guy" on a dirt playground, a game where whomever had the ball was tackled

Riding my bike wherever I wanted without worry

Listening to The Green Hornet, The Shadow, Fibber McGee and Molly and other comedy teams on the AM radio

Going to matinees at the movies in the summer, admission a dime

Root beer floats, banana splits, ice cream sodas, cherry, lime and chocolate cokes, malts, milk shakes, all at fountains

Snowball fights at school on the rare occasion it actually snowed in Albuquerque

Getting a day off from school and going to the State Fair, hitting the midway, eating cotton candy, Indian fry bread, and attending the rodeo

Driving around town in the family Oldsmobile during the holidays to see the lights, especially enjoying the luminarias (farolitos)

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-15-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Unread 03-15-2024, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
No cell phones.
No Brutal murder, nude, foul mouthed swearing and everybody screwing everybody in theatres and home tv.
Hmmm....we must have grown up differently. I remember not being allowed to watch the news because of so much violence. Vietnam, race wars, Manson, Bundy, shootings of political figures, kkk and more. On Tv, women did not wear bras and playboy was very popular. They even had private clubs around the country. Places like Studio 54 where drugs were passed around like candy. Maybe not the same foul language as the present, but lots of racism and bigotry. So common place, that a show like All in the Family, was allowed to air and received great ratings. I remember comedians making fun of every nationality known to man. Women were second class citizens and had to stay home.

When my grandchildren watch old tv shows or movies, they ask a lot of questions as they look at me mystified. I have to explain that it was a different time. Women and black people had to fight for equality. Racism and chauvinism was not only allowed; it was a form of comedic entertainment. How does one explain character names like Pussy Galore or Petticoat Junction in a town called Hooterville? Thankfully, we've come a long way since then. Every generation has its scars.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-15-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Unread 03-15-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Hmmm....we must have grown up differently. I remember not being allowed to watch the news because of so much violence. Vietnam, race wars, Manson, Bundy, shootings of political figures, kkk and more. On Tv, women did not wear bras and playboy was very popular. They even had private clubs around the country. Maybe not the same foul language as the present, but lots of racism and bigotry. So common place, that a show like All in the Family, was allowed to air and received great ratings. I remember comedians making fun of every nationality known to man. Women were second class citizens and had to stay home.

When my grandchildren watch old tv shows or movies, they ask a lot of questions as they look at me mystified. I have to explain that it was a different time. Women and black people had to fight for equality. Racism was not only allowed; it was a form of comedic entertainment. How does one explain character names like Pussy Galore or Petticoat Junction in a town called Hooterville? Thankfully, we've come a long way since then. Every generation has its scars.
How about the Dean Martin roast specials? Don Rickles? It seemed genuine and people weren’t offended.
Unread 03-15-2024, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
How about the Dean Martin roast specials? Don Rickles? It seemed genuine and people weren’t offended.
That is my point. It was so commonplace back then that everyone thought it was funny. Test it yourself and watch some of the older shows with your grandkids. You will find it difficult to explain why it was acceptable.

Tags
sesame, house, friends, ball, list

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.