The Villages Phobia??

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage
Default The Villages Phobia??

Do any of you suffer from this, even a little bit? I do just a little. But I've learned to manage it to a comfortable level. What is it?

When I first moved here and started making some friends, we often talked about how much there is to do in TV. And of course how we only did a relatively small number of things compared to how much is available. Why weren't we doing more! Well, I and one of my very best friends in TV (God rest his wonderful, funny soul) gave that worrisome nagging feeling a name...The Villages Phobia.

So if there are more of you out there, maybe we should start a club. Wouldn't that be perfect?!? We could call it the "We Should Do More" club. Or possibly just "The Village Idiots?!?

Come on. Fess up.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 10-28-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

Interesting

I have a number of things to do once we feel more comfortable being around others and clubs reopen for activities.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Do any of you suffer from this, even a little bit? I do just a little. But I've learned to manage it to a comfortable level. What is it?

When I first moved here and started making some friends, we often talked about how much there is to do in TV. And of course how we only did a relatively small number of things compared to how much is available. Why weren't we doing more! Well, I and one of my very best friends in TV (God rest his wonderful, funny soul) gave that worrisome nagging feeling a name...The Villages Phobia.

So if there are more of you out there, maybe we should start a club. Wouldn't that be perfect?!? We could call it the "We Should Do More" club. Or possibly just "The Village Idiots?!?

Come on. Fess up.
First. I would like to remember that friend who left us way too soon. He and I would differ and spar and debate over politics but he would drop by our house often bearing a little gift and we would sit and have the most wonderful conversations. He humbly never mentioned volunteering once a week at the local soup kitchen. I will take this post of yours to think he is reminding me that I could do better. Thank you Polar Bear. Please name him.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:

Come on. Fess up.
There already is a Villages Idiots club.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
First. I would like to remember that friend who left us way too soon. He and I would differ and spar and debate over politics but he would drop by our house often bearing a little gift and we would sit and have the most wonderful conversations. He humbly never mentioned volunteering once a week at the local soup kitchen. I will take this post of yours to think he is reminding me that I could do better. Thank you Polar Bear. Please name him.
Wow. You succeeded in bringing a tear to my eye, gg.

Mainly due to your reference to sparring and debating over politics, I would bet at least a nickel you’re referring to Richard. We were political opposites and best of friends. That is not usually likely, but with Richard it was easy.

I still think about and miss him a lot.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:

Come on. Fess up.
Did everything, every new thing I had never tired, then..... "something" happened, real life I guess. We had travel plans, new grand children, friends in other areas of Florida, on and on. Eventually, sort of "settled" on a few priorities like golf at least 9 holes 5 of every 7 days, take a 30 min. swim everyday if possible, so.... add up the time and found one or two activities like ceramics and yoga, and a club or two that meets once a month.... and started craving just the "old life" of having nothing on the schedule but reading a book or watching TV.....LOL ! I would guess many other have gone this route also !
Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Wow. You succeeded in bringing a tear to my eye, gg.

Mainly due to your reference to sparring and debating over politics, I would bet at least a nickel you’re referring to Richard. We were political opposites and best of friends. That is not usually likely, but with Richard it was easy.

I still think about and miss him a lot.
That is exactly who I was thinking of, Polar Bear. A good and kind man.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

I too have a special friend, even tho we are as far as can be politically as possible. Even when we totally disagree. However the next day we are best buddies again. Calling to see if the other needs something. Sadly most can’t do that. Even families go different directions because of pride. Folks, isn’t it time to grow up! A great friend is hard to find. Don’t major on the minor and minor on the majors! Life is too short
Old 10-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Did everything, every new thing I had never tired, then..... "something" happened, real life I guess. We had travel plans, new grand children, friends in other areas of Florida, on and on. Eventually, sort of "settled" on a few priorities like golf at least 9 holes 5 of every 7 days, take a 30 min. swim everyday if possible, so.... add up the time and found one or two activities like ceramics and yoga, and a club or two that meets once a month.... and started craving just the "old life" of having nothing on the schedule but reading a book or watching TV.....LOL ! I would guess many other have gone this route also !
Pretty good summary in general terms of our development in TV also.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

As long as I get a few hours of pickleball in the morning, the rest is....
Old 10-29-2020, 06:46 AM

PB and GG, you two are so right!! It’s so easy to carry on a relationship with people, no matter the difference in political or religious beliefs. The key is to keep the focus on the issue and not make it personal. I find most people want to go directly to name calling and putting themselves and their beliefs in the one-up position when in disagreement about social and political issues. You both seem to have a value for respect, which is the thing that is missing in interactions today. PB, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I pray you rejoice in the beautiful moments you both shared.

I wish you both the best this life has to offer. Stay safe.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:57 AM

Your kidding right?
Old 10-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
Your kidding right?
If you’re referring to my original post, you did see the forum it’s posted in, didn’t you?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is exactly who I was thinking of, Polar Bear. A good and kind man.
Was that Richard who gave away lemons and limes, sometimes juiced? He was one of the first to use the last word of his screen name for his wife--Mrs. Trap. It always made me laugh.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:38 AM

May I join the Village Idiots club?
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, friends, club, phobia, perfect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.