Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergolfer View Post
save it for a rainy day
Had an neighbor who always saved for a rainy day, instead of buying an umbrella
She finished up as one of the richest women in the cemetary!
Old 03-29-2020, 12:39 PM

I will spend and give mine away locally for sure. Giving some to housekeeper, hairdresser and dog groomer. Ordering take out and giving big tips to restaurant staff, will send some to our local animal charities. And yes, I will take a portion of the federal government check and spend it on Florida legal medical mj, simply because I love the irony! LOL

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 03-29-2020, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We will spend every dime at local mom and pop businesses.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

These are stimulus checks. How stimulating is it to put them under your mattress? Keep in the spirit of the intent.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsocat View Post
I'm going to save mine for my cremation.
Really, your going to go on a shopping spree when you get your money?!! Yup, the virus and social distancing will be over because we got a check from the government. This virus isnt going away anytime soon... and just pray it doesnt mutate and start all over again.
Sadly, that's why I'm going to NEED to save mine for my cremation.
You do realize most stores aren't open for customer visits and it isn't possible to "go on a shopping spree," therefore it's not really possible that I meant I would "go on a shopping spree."

As I've said - and as many people have said - local restaurants are offering curbside service and delivery. I plan on taking advantage of this.

In addition I intend to spend some of this money on local stores when they finally open back up. And a few stores that never closed, like the supermarket, I plan on supporting more by spending more at them.

But you go ahead and spend yours on your cremation. I plan on helping MANY local employers and employees a few bucks richer with mine.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

If we get one, I will give it to our son who works hard and makes just a bit too much to get one.

Last edited by CFrance; 03-29-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
As Tug McGraw said, "Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other 10% I’ll probably waste."

Disclaimer: In no way is the "women" part to be directed toward anyone, but my wife. (I thought it might be wise to add this.)
You are a very wise man! (The last part)
Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 PM
Platinum member

I’m reasonably sure I will put it into stocks of American companies as a small start to growing business again.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:03 PM

So happy to live in this beautiful community. I am still working because I am not retired yet , however is amazing to read Villagers are so generous and think about others in this difficult time. You guys are my roll model and when my time come I will give back to my community in different ways. God and life has been good to me. I am blessed in different ways. God bless you all.

Last edited by Aspillaga60@yahoo.com; 03-29-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: mistake in my spelling
Old 03-29-2020, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I’m reasonably sure I will put it into stocks of American companies as a small start to growing business again.
Buying stocks has virtually no benefit to the companies themselves. And it certainly won't help their business grow. If you want to support a certain company go buy some of their products. This way you help the company, the distributor, the retailer and the employee.

I'll be spending ours at local small businesses and restaurants.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 03-29-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:53 PM

Am going to use it to help others. Saving it is a selfish act, do something good with it. We are getting it to stave off a recession, not increase your bank account.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

is that the cruise to italy
Old 03-29-2020, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Buying stocks has virtually no benefit to the companies themselves. And it certainly won't help their business grow. If you want to support a certain company go buy some of their products. This way you help the company, the distributor, the retailer and the employee.

I'll be spending ours at local small businesses and restaurants.
I strongly disagree with you. Businesses do have employees too.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I strongly disagree with you. Businesses do have employees too.
You can disagree all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

When you buy stock you're basically buying part ownership in that company. The thing is at these prices the company isn't selling shares. The shares you want to buy are coming from other investors who are selling their part ownership in the company. The actual company gets no benefit. The only person that benefits is the person who sold the shares.. And you because you now have an equity stake in that company.

No product was sold. No store made a profit. No employee made a commission. The transaction only took place between you and the person/institution who is selling the shares.

You're not actually putting any money into the marketplace. If the stock price goes up you're actually going to have more money than you started with. Of course if the price goes down so does your investment.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You can disagree all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

When you buy stock you're basically buying part ownership in that company. The thing is at these prices the company isn't selling shares. The shares you want to buy are coming from other investors who are selling their part ownership in the company. The actually company gets no benefit. The only person that benefits is the person who sold the shares.. And you because you now have an equity stake in that company.

No product was sold. No store made a profit. No employee made a commission. The transaction only took place between you and the person/institution who is selling the shares.

You're not actually putting any money into the market[place. If the stock price goes up you're actually going to have more money that you started with. Of course if the price goes down so does your investment.
Did you really believe this was my first rodeo in the stock market?

I am an owner in said company - and that’s fine with me.

Employees get to maintain their jobs and produce items we all need - light bulbs, cars, medication, cereal, etc. Stores will make profit when item manufactured is sold.
Closed Thread

Tags
$200, money, luxury, full, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.