The Year Was 1960

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2017, 04:44 AM
Sage
Default The Year Was 1960

Major News Event in 1960

U.S. Enters Vietnam War, sending 3,500 troops to that country.
The IRA starts its’ fight against the British.
John F. Kennedy wins presidential election.
Chubby Checker and The Twist start a new dance craze.
Soviet missile shoots down the US U2 spy plane.
Aluminum cans used for the first time.
Xerox introduces the first photocopier.
Fidel Castro nationalizes American oil, sugar and other US interests in Cuba.
OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) is formed.
The Summer Olympics are held in Rome. The Winter Olympics are held in Squaw Valley, CA.

Cost of Living in 1960

Average Cost of new house $12,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $98.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents
23 inch Television $219.95 - so actually televisions are cheaper now than in 1960.
Average Cost of a new car $2,600.00
Men’s Electric Shaver $20.30
Polaroid Land Camera, looking back it seems quite expensive but this was the only way to see your photo nearly instantly: Polaroid Camera: $93.45

Pop Culture in 1960

Hugh Hefner opens the first Playboy Club in Chicago

Some of the most popular TV shows in 1960: Gunsmoke (a favorite of my father’s), The Andy Griffith Show, Candid Camera, My Three Sons, The Ed Sullivan Show, Perry Mason, The Flintstones, Bonanza (which was one of my favorite shows when I was old enough to watch TV as this show went on until 1973). TV Westerns were very prominent in 1960.

Popular Movies in 1960: Psycho, The Apartment, The Magnificent Seven, Spartacus, La Dolce Vita, Oceans 11, Swiss Family Robinson, Two Women, Exodus, Butterfield 8, From the Terrace, Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, Elmer Gantry

Top Pop Songs from 1960: Theme From A Summer Place, Cathy’s Clown, It’s Now or Never, I’m Sorry, Only The Lonely, Save The Last Dance for Me, Puppy Love, El Paso, The Twist, Teen Angel

Some Popular Books in 1960: Hawaii, Advise and Consent, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Rabbit Run, Black Like Me, Born Free
Old 11-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Major News Event in 1960

U.S. Enters Vietnam War, sending 3,500 troops to that country.
The IRA starts its’ fight against the British.
John F. Kennedy wins presidential election.
Chubby Checker and The Twist start a new dance craze.
Soviet missile shoots down the US U2 spy plane.
Aluminum cans used for the first time.
Xerox introduces the first photocopier.
Fidel Castro nationalizes American oil, sugar and other US interests in Cuba.
OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) is formed.
The Summer Olympics are held in Rome. The Winter Olympics are held in Squaw Valley, CA.

Cost of Living in 1960

Average Cost of new house $12,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $98.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents
23 inch Television $219.95 - so actually televisions are cheaper now than in 1960.
Average Cost of a new car $2,600.00
Men’s Electric Shaver $20.30
Polaroid Land Camera, looking back it seems quite expensive but this was the only way to see your photo nearly instantly: Polaroid Camera: $93.45

Pop Culture in 1960

Hugh Hefner opens the first Playboy Club in Chicago

Some of the most popular TV shows in 1960: Gunsmoke (a favorite of my father’s), The Andy Griffith Show, Candid Camera, My Three Sons, The Ed Sullivan Show, Perry Mason, The Flintstones, Bonanza (which was one of my favorite shows when I was old enough to watch TV as this show went on until 1973). TV Westerns were very prominent in 1960.

Popular Movies in 1960: Psycho, The Apartment, The Magnificent Seven, Spartacus, La Dolce Vita, Oceans 11, Swiss Family Robinson, Two Women, Exodus, Butterfield 8, From the Terrace, Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, Elmer Gantry

Top Pop Songs from 1960: Theme From A Summer Place, Cathy’s Clown, It’s Now or Never, I’m Sorry, Only The Lonely, Save The Last Dance for Me, Puppy Love, El Paso, The Twist, Teen Angel

Some Popular Books in 1960: Hawaii, Advise and Consent, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Rabbit Run, Black Like Me, Born Free
I love trivia. Thanks for posting that.
Closed Thread

Tags
cost, show, camera, average, popular

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.