$115 to come give an estimate?!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2022, 05:28 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When contractors are busy and have lots of work, it’s not a good use of their time to give estimates to potential customers who they sense are price shopping several estimates. They figure they are going to bid high and not get the job anyways, so why bother to do it for free. It’s currently a contractors market, not a customers market.
Bingo
Old 04-07-2022, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Time is money. A REASONABLE charge to come out. If they do the job, figuring that back into the overall cost is fair.
Wow you must be one of the people who has too much money to burn if you think 1/2 hour of talking is worth $115. No wonder so many workers like to gouge Villagers when I hear your response.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Try Fernview Farms - 352-245-7905 They did a job for me a few years ago, reliable and reasonable.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2022, 05:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
We just had Jason Schmidt do some landscaping for us. They gave good guidance, service, and execution. They showed up for the initial estimate (free) on time and did the work when they said they would. With the way contractors are abusing customers these days, that’s a huge plus in my book.

Jason Schmidt Landscaping Professionals
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Just had a nauseating phone call with Tri County Landscaping where they said they don't give free estimates. They charge $115 for it!!!! Crazy crap. Am I the only one who was told this, or have others received stupid quotes to get an estimate. Can't stop shaking my head over this.
A detailed written estimate with drawing is worth it. A quick number is not. Ask what you get for that charge. It costs a legitimate contractor at least $100 to make that visit and prepare a quote. Many will refund the fee if you purchase their services
Old 04-07-2022, 05:42 AM

Fortunately landscapers in TV are a dime a dozen. Make a list. Get references and hire someone who doesn’t charge for a plan. The free enterprise system works well.
I would add that the original landscaper will probably give you the fee as a discount if you choose his company.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Gather your current landscaper will not get the job.

Would go around and see who your neighbors use and get opinions and than make some calls.

We are about to start with our third one in just over two years.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny2403 View Post
A detailed written estimate with drawing is worth it. A quick number is not. Ask what you get for that charge. It costs a legitimate contractor at least $100 to make that visit and prepare a quote. Many will refund the fee if you purchase their services
I tend to agree. Without being a landscaper myself I would think that an accurate estimate needs far more than eyeballing the yard and giving a "not to exceed" number. Things like the type of ground, cost and location of plants, picking the kinds of structures wanted such as edging, rock, decorative items, (new or replacement) if those were to be supplied by the contractor, possibly moving one or more sprinkler heads, etc. etc. , would all go into figuring the final cost. It would take not only a detailed examination of the area and an in-depth conversation with the client in order to ascertain exactly what was wanted, but also a fair amount of paperwork figuring sources of materials, cost, transport, etc., , plus producing a detailed drawing and preparing the contract/work order to be approved by the client, all apart from the actual labor.

I think it all comes down to reputation. But for landscaping (especially for landscaping) I would much rather pay for a detailed estimate than give the job over to "oh, I think we can do this for "X" dollars". A conscientious contractor SHOULD do detailed upfront work in order to assure client satisfaction at the end, and that upfront work takes time and expertise, which translates into money.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 04-07-2022 at 06:40 AM. Reason: clarity.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Just had a nauseating phone call with Tri County Landscaping where they said they don't give free estimates. They charge $115 for it!!!! Crazy crap. Am I the only one who was told this, or have others received stupid quotes to get an estimate. Can't stop shaking my head over this.
The rain sensor on our irrigation system quit working...less than 2 years old. I called Hunter, and was told the sensor is under warranty for 5 years. BUT, I needed to call an authorized contractor for replacement. Called TCL, as they installed the system when the house was built. Yes...they will replace the faulty sensor under warranty, but they would charge $115 for the service call. The part is covered under warranty, but the labor is not. While I can buy a new sensor and replace it myself for less than that, I may elect to let TCL come do it, and give the whole system a once over while here.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I don’t think it is a stupid quote if you don’t get a quote! They probably are tired of giving free quotes and not getting the business - time to relax and move on!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Agreed, we've added another, we NEVER take the word (or words on a car or truck) that the contractor is registered with the state AND has insurance. Can't tell you how many, at least SIX times, when all else was satisfactory to have some work done, last step was to check with state and....SURPRISE... the NUMBERS on the business card were ACTUAL numbers connected to the name and business...but... were NOT CURRENT ! In other words, state employee said a business will often register and have the proper insurance ONCE, to get a valid number, but that does not mean they have kept it up to date and filed the current insurance annually. It's as if YOU registered your auto and got both insurance and plates.... then NEVER did anything again, just kept the insurance card in your auto or wallet, and never bought an annual renewal of license plates/tags ! Dah ! NEVER NEVER skip actually checking because some who "looked legit", gave you a card with insurance # and information about being registered, N.E.V.E.R. The guy who gives you the cheapest estimate to cut down that big tree, may turn out to be a huge expense if you have to take care of him or his employee for the rest of their life when they fall OUT of that tree. It only takes 10-15 to make this VITAL check with the state of Florida, but, probably 75% will not !
Thank you I learned something
Old 04-07-2022, 06:39 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

A company with attitude like this doesn’t need your business or mine. Just blacklist them and move on.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Agreed, we've added another, we NEVER take the word (or words on a car or truck) that the contractor is registered with the state AND has insurance. Can't tell you how many, at least SIX times, when all else was satisfactory to have some work done, last step was to check with state and....SURPRISE... the NUMBERS on the business card were ACTUAL numbers connected to the name and business...but... were NOT CURRENT ! In other words, state employee said a business will often register and have the proper insurance ONCE, to get a valid number, but that does not mean they have kept it up to date and filed the current insurance annually. It's as if YOU registered your auto and got both insurance and plates.... then NEVER did anything again, just kept the insurance card in your auto or wallet, and never bought an annual renewal of license plates/tags ! Dah ! NEVER NEVER skip actually checking because some who "looked legit", gave you a card with insurance # and information about being registered, N.E.V.E.R. The guy who gives you the cheapest estimate to cut down that big tree, may turn out to be a huge expense if you have to take care of him or his employee for the rest of their life when they fall OUT of that tree. It only takes 10-15 to make this VITAL check with the state of Florida, but, probably 75% will not !
Went to the dept that issues permits and they gave me the info for the App Dept of Business and Professional Regulation- you just enter the name or business and it gives you the latest info!! Or call Senior Vs Crime and see what info they have on the person/business!! Also google BBB and gather info!!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
We just had Jason Schmidt do some landscaping for us. They gave good guidance, service, and execution. They showed up for the initial estimate (free) on time and did the work when they said they would. With the way contractors are abusing customers these days, that’s a huge plus in my book.

Jason Schmidt Landscaping Professionals
I also last month had the front of my house redone by Jason Schmidt. Estimate is free and detailed (quantities, quality of materials used). I also had them put in a rock border around my stucco house. They are dependable, punctual, professional and eager to please. They show up every day with multiple crew to expertly get the job done. I had to wait 3 months for them to start the job - they are busy. They did an excellent job and I would use them again.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Wow you must be one of the people who has too much money to burn if you think 1/2 hour of talking is worth $115. No wonder so many workers like to gouge Villagers when I hear your response.
Lalamy you are so right. A large part of the rip off prices for services here are caused by a lot of the residents.
Closed Thread

Tags
ohdear, $115, estimate, give, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.