4ft tall shrubs to surround lanai

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Default 4ft tall shrubs to surround lanai

We would like to plant shrubs around our Lanai. I don't want to feel the wrath of the Deed Compliance patrol. (yes, I agree, they do serve a good purpose and it's nice to know all homes will forever be in immaculate condition...I like it that way) But I don't want a fast growing plant that requires trimming every week to stay at 4ft. Also..my lanai is in shade most of the day. What can be planted that grows slow, only grows to about 4ft, and likes the shade? It doesn't necessarily have to have flowers but that would be a plus.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts
Default Re: 4ft tall shrubs to surround lanai

Think about zamia - coontie palms. They're very tropical, like a sago palm without the trunk.
There's a grove of 'em in front of the Lighthouse Grill at Lake Sumter Landing.
They're actually a cycad, a "dinosuar" fossil at 250 million years old, it's a native Florida plant and quite hardy when established.

I've read in a few places they can grow from 3'x3' (shorter than what you want) to 6' high, so I'm not sure on the height, but it's a beautiful, slow growing shrub.
Anyway, that's my choice at the moment.
Let us know what you choose. I'm looking for something just like you are.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Just to qualify my endorsement of zamias - I like 'em a lot. Hardy, tropical, slow growth,

I'm not exactly sure they'll meet your requirements for height. I'm not trying to create a surround for a lanai, but looking for something similar for other reasons. Check out the ones at the Lighthouse Grill to see if they're high enough for your taste, they may not be.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM

JohnN....
Thanks for the idea of a small/short palm type shrub. I Googled the plants you mentioned, Zamia & Coontie. (don't misspell and Google Zami...totally different!) When I saw the reference to the prehistoric Mesozoic era I thought....."why not just call my mother-in-law and see what she planted around the cave"?

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

NYVette, You are a brave man. That or your mother-in-law will never get a chance to read totv. Benj
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM

Benj.....
Wife doesn't, and mother-in-law can't, access TOTV

PS.... Actually I get along great with her. She is a great person but so easy to poke fun at. She thinks I'm the good son-in-law!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to AJ Tower
Default Hedge Trimmer Blades!

Anyone have an idea where I can have the blades on my electric hedge trimmer sharpened?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Smile sharpening blades

Just a suggestion but you might try Market of Marion. They do all kinds of things there.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM

NYVette,

Not to hijack, but my husband's from Massapequa. Where did you live. His mother still lives on Massachusetts Avenue. He went to Burner High School. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
rekop

Oleander is a nice shrub too, but you would have to trim it once or twice a year. It has an open growth pattern, so would let some light in, and of course, it has beautiful blooms.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.