Above Ground Roots

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Platinum member
Default Above Ground Roots

I have a problem I would like to get some suggestions. I have a large Magnolia tree in my front yard with above ground roots. The roots have pushed up and broken the concrete edging. We contacted a couple of concrete edging people, but the job was not big enough for them to deal with.

I had a couple of people tell me just to cut the roots. Not completely but a groove for the concrete edging to go back down. Has anyone heard of doing this before? I don't want tot kill the tree. If any landscape contractors monitor this forum, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Regrettably, surface roots is normal for the Magnolia. You might want to contact the cooperative extension for suggestions.

RE: cutting a groove to allow edging to go back down.
You would need to remove the edging and take out the root pushing it up. That solution would only be temporary.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:51 AM
Sage

There is a product possibly made by 3M that is a fabric with embedded pellets of a substance that repels roots. The roots will actually make a u-turn when they grow close to the fabric. you install it in a narrow trench at the edge of the concrete you want to protect. I have personally seen this product work quite well.

Tags
roots, concrete, edging, ground, tree, couple, people, groove, completely, back, heard, forum, monitor, contractors, feel, free, landscape, cut, tot, kill, magnolia, front, yard, large, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.