adding landscape islands in yard

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Default adding landscape islands in yard

has any one added any islands in their yard? if so who did you use? rock or mulch ?we are trying to get rid of some grass we have huge corner lot

thanks
sonny
Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Gold member

Sumter County extension agents and master gardeners at various meetings (Garden Club and Twice on Tuesday, etc) all recommend avoiding stone and lava rock - gets too hot. Stresses the plants.

They said, to paraphrase, that if you "have" to use it (or already have it), to not put it right up to the base of the plants but to leave a buffer of natural mulch (wood chips, etc) for a few inches around the base of each plant.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Villages Palms, on 466 near Rolling Acres designed and built our "island" along with the remainder of our landscaping. We too have a huge corner lot with a lot of grass that needed to be considered. The island contains a waterfall and pond and fills in the corner of the lot very well. We are extremely happy and get many compliments. Plan a pergola on the corner of the house in the next few months to set it all off. We used mulch and omitted the curb-it. PM me and I'll give you address and you can stop by and see it firsthand. Ray
Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Default Come see our new island

Hi Sonny and Karen, are you here permanetly now? I sent you a message a while back with our phone number. We also used Villages Palms. Drop by and see us. D&j
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny&karen View Post
has any one added any islands in their yard? if so who did you use? rock or mulch ?we are trying to get rid of some grass we have huge corner lot

thanks
sonny
We have a corner lot and an island and I would prefer to have it all grass as the island commands more care with pruning than I care to keep up with. We purchased a for-sale-by-owner and have no regrets about that as there were sooo many extras that were all inclusive in the sale. No big deal, it's just that I would prefer the grass rather than the cost and care of all the shrubs in the island. Just something to mull over.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 03-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Platinum member

kb8tpw & Atlantic
We want to use Village Palms on our corner lot as recommended by several people on TOTV. If you would PM me, my husband and I would love to do a driveby to see how you handled the corner lot. Thanks
Nancy
Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Regarding landscaping islands, we and three other neighbors had landscaping involving various palms, shrubs and flowers in the islands. We are all pleased with the work done by Jamie's Landscaping.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Rock lasts forever....mulch needs periodic replenishment

depending upon the kind that is used. As said in another post above, do not put rock around the base of any plants. The weight and density does not allow air to get at the base of the plant.

btk

PS yes rock is more expensive initially....but then you are done!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.