Anyone familiar with 'Queen of the Night' plant?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Anyone familiar with 'Queen of the Night' plant?

TV is in zone 26, according to this book. Sounds like I'd give it a try but it might need a little bit of TLC in the beginning so I wouldn't plan to plant it while your still traveling. Let me know if you need more info.

BTW, the trip was eventful to say the least. Wait for my return before you leave for NY., I'll be there mid April, I hope, for the TOTV lunch.

Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

The Villages Florida
www.floridata.com

Brugmansia suaveolens
Common Names: angel trumpet, brugmansia, angel-star
Family: Solanaceae (nightshade Family)

The Villages Florida
This angel trumpet (Brugmansia suaveolens)
has grown into a small tree in Miami's
frostfree Zone 10 climate.
The Villages Florida
We think this is the yellow form of the hybrid
Brugmansia x insignis of which B. suaveolens
is a parent.

Description
Brugmansia suaveolens is a semi-woody shrub or small tree that gets 6-15 ft (1.8-4.6 m) tall, usually with a many-branched single trunk. The leaves are generally oval in shape, up to 10 in (25.4 cm) long and 6 in (15.2 cm) wide, and even larger when grown in the shade. The overall plant has a coarse texture but the flowers are remarkably beautiful. They are sweetly fragrant, about 12 in (30.5 cm) long and shaped like trumpets. The corolla has five points that are slightly recurved. The flowers are usually white but may be yellow or pink and are pendulous, hanging almost straight down.

The cultivar, 'Plena' (which may or may not be this species) has double flowers: a trumpet within a trumpet. B. X insignis is a second generation hybrid created by back-crossing B. suaveolens with a B. suaveolens - B. versicolor hybrid. It has huge, sometimes six-pointed, bell-shaped flowers to 15 in (38.1 cm) long. These may be yellow, orange, white, pink or multi-colored and are more prone to hang straight down. This popular hybrid blooms year-round and often is offered incorrectly as B. suaveolens. There are several other presumed hybrids, including 'Dr. Seuss', 'Frosty Pink' and 'Charles Grimaldi' whose parentages may include B. suaveolens, but this is not certain.

This angel trumpet occurs naturally in SE Brazil. It is widely grown as an ornamental everywhere it is hardy and has escaped cultivation and established in residential areas throughout much of South and Central America, Mexico, and even in parts of south-central Florida.

Culture
Light: Brugmansia suaveolens does best in full sun. In partially shaded situations it may grow vigorously but flower sparingly or not at all.
Moisture: Angel trumpet requires regular watering for best growth and flowering. It wilts terribly, but usually survives through droughts.
Hardiness: USDA Zones 10 - 12. Brugmansia suaveolens is a small evergreen (although soft-wooded) tree. In zones 8B-9B, it dies to the ground in winter and resprouts in spring; under these conditions it rarely exceeds 8 ft (2.4 m) in height. Plants that are repeatedly killed to the ground winter after winter often weaken and die in a few years.
Propagation: Brugmansias usually are propagated from seed. They also may be started from semi-ripe heeled cuttings taken in summer and rooted with bottom heat. A heeled cutting is one that includes a small piece of the older stem still attached to the tip cutting.
Usage
Brugmansia suaveolens can be pruned to a small tree with a single trunk, or allowed to grow in a clump with several erect and spreading stems. This is a very popular lawn specimen plant throughout the New World tropics and subtropics, and when in bloom it never fails to attract attention. Use it where you want to make a bold statement. Its large, coarse leaves and huge drooping flowers will be the center of attention. Use it in mixed shrub borders for contrast, or as an accent plant on the patio. As a specimen, position Brugmansia suaveolens in an open area where it can have center stage for maximum impact.

Features
Angel trumpet is an exotic and tropical-looking shrub that makes a striking specimen in the landscape or a prized container plant on the patio.

The five species of Brugmansia formerly were included in the genus Datura, which now includes only the angel trumpets that are annuals or short-lived perennials; herbaceous as opposed to woody; and have erect rather than pendent flowers. Jimsonweed (D. stramonium) is a North American native and D. inoxia a popular ornamental from Mexico.

WARNING
All parts of this and other angel trumpets are narcotic and poisonous. Some people have ingested or smoked angel trumpet for its narcotic effects, and some of those people are no longer with us. The use of angel trumpet as a landscape plant is banned in some municipalities.

Steve Christman 12/01/96; updated 5/20/00, 12/19/00
__________________________________________________ _________________________

The Plant Hardiness Zone Map

The United States Department of Agriculture Plant Hardiness Zone Map is a generalized map of the average annual minimum temperatures in the United States and Canada. Its purpose is to show where the minimum winter temperature is, on average, within the limits of a particular plant's tolerance to cold.

The Villages Florida

Using the Map
When using the map to locate plants that will grow in your area there are some factors to be aware of. Some years the temperature may fall below the average minimum for a particular zone, and, of course, it is such extreme low temperatures, not averages, that kill sensitive plants.

Within a zone, temperatures, including winter minimums, vary with elevation, proximity to water, and with microclimatic features. For example, on the coldest night of the year, plants along a south-facing wall can remain 10 degrees F warmer than plants along a north-facing wall. There are, of course, many factors that determine a plant's suitability to a particular region, but the USDA Hardiness Zone Map is the best single indicator for determining where a particular plant can tolerate the winters.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

The Villages Florida
Amazingly I found this Brugmansia growing in Waltham, MA which is classified as zone 6! I asked the owner whether she digs it up and brings it inside for the winter and she told me that her husband planted it and never brings it inside! I suspect that the root system stays warm because it is planted next to the house foundation and that he mulches his plants heavily during the winter.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

The wealth of intelligence mixed with humor in TOTV continues to boggle my mind
[center]You members are "TOP SHELF" :#1:
Handie :joke:
Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

What a beautiful shrub! Not being familiar with it, I looked for more information. The following Wikipedia site was quite interesting. Although it does not describe planting, cultivation, or zones where it thrives the article does provide physical characteristics, species, uses, and cultural references. What a surprise to learn that Datura contains the alkaloids scopolamine and atropine (whatever those are :dontknow and has been used in some cultures as a poison and hallucinogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura

Old 03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ok I'll be serious ..

Is it true that the Blossom of the QUEEN OF THE NIGHT (peanuticus elrooficus) only blooms once a year ????? Was told this by a knowledgeable friend ( knowitallicus boringicus)

Fumar (carnivorous vulgaris) :dontknow:
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Sage

I have numerous peach and white colored datura plants in Pa. I put them in a heated garage to overwinter. You can break/cut off a limb, stick in soil and stand back. It roots very easily. The fragrance in the evening is divine. We call them angels trumpets as the flowers point down. I have another plant up there that has similar flowers (purple) that point up and are called devil's trumpets. On my next trip up I intend to bring some large cuttings back with me. They will love it here.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the great fumar
Ok I'll be serious ..

Is it true that the Blossom of the QUEEN OF THE NIGHT (peanuticus elrooficus) only blooms once a year ????? Was told this by a knowledgeable friend ( knowitallicus boringicus)

Fumar (carnivorous vulgaris) :dontknow:
1rnfl
You Mr Fumar are bad to da core :cop:
Handie :joke:
Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 AM

Oooooooo Samhass,

Those Devil's Trumpets sound divine!!! I can't wait to live in TV and grow all these fabulous plants and flowers.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Gold member

Thanks again for the earlier chuckles, but FINALLY some useful information! Many thanks!!! I would NEVER have expected that this plant could make it up north, which gives it a good chance to make it here. Yes, it would be a problem to try to establish when we're still traveling a good deal (my wife is a travel agent). Didn't realize it was part of the Nightshade family with all parts poisonous; all we remember from the Costa Rican rainforest is that they are beautiful AND have THE most incredible fragrance. Anyone have an idea where to buy cuttings of this plant? Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
I have numerous peach and white colored datura plants in Pa. It roots very easily. We call them angels trumpets as the flowers point down. On my next trip up I intend to bring some large cuttings back with me. They will love it here.
Sid, maybe Samhass will bring these cuttings down for you.

P.S. Glad we got these guys to stop posting silly stuff in answer to your question!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 AM

Sidney,

I have found ebay to be a great place for plant cuttings.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ngs&category0=

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 AM

brightspot01,

Very tiny amounts of Scopolamine are used in transdermal patches worn behind the ear for motion sickness.

Atropine is used when a person is having a heart attack and in the treatment of bradycardia (an extremely low heart rate). It can be used in the eye to dilate the pupils but the effects can take 2 to 3 days to wear off. I actually had to use atropine eye drops to paralyze the circular pupillary sphincter muscle when I had an eye injury to that very same muscle. It took weeks for the darn thing to heal and then my pupil was still dilated for weeks until the atropine finally wore off! Because my pupil was constantly dilated I wore dark sunglasses and hats for weeks and weeks. It was the pits! My eye will always be sensitive to light.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Gold member

punkpup, as a frequent ebay buyer and seller who, as in previous posts on different subjects (most recently mini-fluorescent bulbs) often recommends looking first on ebay before buying more 'conventionally' (for lack of a better way to put it), I NEVER thought of looking on ebay for plants! Duh! Should have been a no-brainer for me.... Many thanks for the suggestion; already checked the link and it looks promising! (P.S. Your post is dated/timed as 3:36 this morning?! I'm not asking....)
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Sage

I will bring a cutting to Sid but I have seen them in the stores locally.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Thanks punkpup! Btw, I'm an eBayer, too. Don't want to hijack this subject but I just purchased 2 Verilux HappyLites on eBay for half their cost and they were new in the box.

So the topicops don't get me :cop:... I continue to be grateful I found this site because I learn something new every day. Now I'm familiar with Queen of the Night!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.