Is ARC checking builder ?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2018, 08:06 AM
Default Is ARC checking builder ?

I read the STATE and the Sumter code for new home landscaping, specific to the tree/s required. The County code seems to mimic the State codes. Here is what I see in The Villages.

The builder provided trees are NOT to CODE.

The require trunk size seems to be severely lacking for the most part AND the trees are supposed to be Florida NATIVES, NOT Florida friendly.... NATIVE. NOT Crepe Myrtle, NOT any Magnolia except SOUTHERN magnolia (not a southern magnolia found ANYWHERE) , NOT about 20% of the holly trees I see.

I thought the ARC would be making sure I started out with a landscape that was up to State and County codes since I certainly PAID for a tree up to code and the ARC REQUIRES me to keep my "code" tree or replace it with another up to code tree when I make changes.

Is the person inspecting the new home landscape and required "code" tree incompetent, or on the take? Maybe the building inspector knows more about building codes than the required tree, but after years and tens of 1000s of planted trees, someone needed to say something, and someone needs to start doing their job.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

IMHO...... Didn't we learn that you were not a "code expert" in your last postings about Fruitland Park?

From District Web Site:

Architectural Review Committee
The mission of the Architectural Review Committee is to maintain the high quality and consistency of the aesthetics and design of the residences and home sites found throughout The Villages.

Whether it is a pool addition, landscaping, painted driveway, porch enclosure, coloring of walks and/or driveways, arbors, pergolas, trellises or removal of trees that are greater than four (4) inches in diameter it is necessary to submit a Modification/Alteration Form for approval.

Chapter 190 Florida Statutes authorizes Community Development Districts to adopt rules necessary to enforce guidelines for external architectural control. The Community Standards Department is committed to upholding the high standards of our community’s design, construction and aesthetics. Architectural Review ensures every home modification is constructed of appropriate materials and built to complement the natural and man-made surroundings. The Architectural Review process is purely administrative in nature. The issuance of permits or variances is through the appropriate city or county building department.

You can obtain a building site plan from the municipality in which you reside by calling:

Town of Lady Lake Building Department — 352-751-1511
Lake County Building Department — 352-343-9653
Marion County Building Department — 352-438-2400
Sumter County Building Department — 352-689-4460
If you have any questions on the Architectural Review Committee, the Community Standards Department will be happy to assist you. Please contact them Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (352) 751-3912. You may also visit their office at 984 Old Mill Run, The Villages, FL 32162.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Actually (in my other post) I am calling attention to the wide spread ignoring of pulling municipal permits when widening driveways. And as a Certified Construction inspector in and by the State of FL, I am an expert.

SO after reading your copy / paste post, I see that NO, the ARC is not assuring that the tree planted in my new landscape by the contractor, is up to code. Though they require I replace it with a tree that is up to code as required by State AND County law, if I want to remove it.

Guess I will look to the responsible party to find out why so many of these trees are not large enough nor native to Florida as the law requires.

Your building site plan will not tell you the required caliper of the tree planted on your property as required by FL code.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage

The developer is not required to submit ANYTHING to the ARC. Suggest you find out who is doing the threshold inspections and start there.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The developer is not required to submit ANYTHING to the ARC. Suggest you find out who is doing the threshold inspections and start there.
People about to close, or recently closed on a new home in TV should be aware they are not getting the tree they paid for. This is (another) public service announcement, as I have watched this ignoring of sub-contracted planting (of the code required tree) by the inspectors go on for almost 2 decades now.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Why not include reference to the code you are citing? I think you are incorrect in your application and interpretation.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
OP is barking up the wrong tree. Should be talking to the Building Dept. for the county in question.

Helpful hint to OP: I would "not" ask them if they are "incompetent or on the take"
Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Platinum member

On a somewhat related issue, I’ve been wondering about who is responsible when an existing home is sold with alterations to the original home (for example, widening of driveways, Landscaping, hardscaping, etc.)

Do I, as a perspective purchaser, have the responsibility to check with ARC to make sure the previous owner got ARC approvals for the changes made? Or is this the responsibility of the selling real estate company?

I know of a case where a complaint was lodged against a villa owner who purchased the villa with an all-Stone landscape (through The Villages home sales, BTW). As it turned out, one of the previous owners who had the stone installed did not get ARC approval. The current owner was ordered to get stone out and replace with grass within x days or face daily fines. This is a real can of worms.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM

Purchaser should do their own due diligence.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Now that would be a good idea!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Spot on - - Always no matter who, what or where.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I suspect the OP needs a hobby other than trying to pick apart stuff that doesn't matter to most of us. I know very few people that haven't changed their landscaping since they moved here. If you are bored and are a certified inspector, which means you know your way around this stuff, why not see if they have a job for you since I believe you believe you are providing a service.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-26-2018, 03:51 PM

I post to help the silent majority that benefit from reading this post, and Florida. My Florida. If you don't truly care about the REAL Florida. The wildlife, the FLORA, the future natives and immigrants that will live here when we are long gone, I won't answer you again. And yea, your easy to pick out.

What matters to you may not be what matters to others. What is important to the State of Florida, is that we don't clear cut the whole state to build houses, replanting trees and shrubs foreign to the native wildlife. The State passed laws 2 decades ago to assure this didn't happen.
A combination of ignorance, laziness and greed from governing agencies and agents... to the sub contractors paid to plant the landscapes are not only cheating the home owners out of what they paid for, but cheating Florida's native species out of existence someday. I already know that some of you have made calls to ARC, Lake and Sumter Co concerning this subject. I don't see changes to the status quo without going to Tallahasee. This little post will not change anything, but maybe open a few eyes that actually care about this state as something more than a place to spray bug poison on your personal 1/10 an acre 4x a year.

Lake Co has a pretty solid law in place, but the FACT is, they don't care, and don't enforce it. There are people in Tallahasee I have spoken with , and when I retire, I will have the extra time to get on my soap box up there and hope to enact real changes to protect my home state. As for now I barely have time to work 5 and fish 2.

In reply to the few, and in conclusion, I have never been bored in my life.

Last edited by Ozzello; 11-26-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

This thread makes me want to
break out in song......

Bob McGrath sings Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" - YouTube

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
This thread makes me want to
break out in song......

Bob McGrath sings Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" - YouTube

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but how big is its trunk!

Tags
code, tree, trees, arc, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.