Is ARC checking builder ?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I post to help the silent majority that benefit from reading this post, and Florida. My Florida. If you don't truly care about the REAL Florida. The wildlife, the FLORA, the future natives and immigrants that will live here when we are long gone, I won't answer you again. And yea, your easy to pick out.

What matters to you may not be what matters to others. What is important to the State of Florida, is that we don't clear cut the whole state to build houses, replanting trees and shrubs foreign to the native wildlife. The State passed laws 2 decades ago to assure this didn't happen.
A combination of ignorance, laziness and greed from governing agencies and agents... to the sub contractors paid to plant the landscapes are not only cheating the home owners out of what they paid for, but cheating Florida's native species out of existence someday.................
Would you recommend against my desire to include several Little John Dwarf Bottlebrush plants in my landscaping plan?
They are highly recommended by many gardening sites for our central Florida climate zone.
However, i can't find this plant/shrub on the Univ of Fla list of native plants and shrubs. Other plant list sites say the various bottlebrush plants and trees are either "not native to North America" or are "native to Australia".
Old 11-26-2018, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I read the STATE and the Sumter code for new home landscaping, specific to the tree/s required. The County code seems to mimic the State codes. Here is what I see in The Villages.

The builder provided trees are NOT to CODE.

The require trunk size seems to be severely lacking for the most part AND the trees are supposed to be Florida NATIVES, NOT Florida friendly.... NATIVE. NOT Crepe Myrtle, NOT any Magnolia except SOUTHERN magnolia (not a southern magnolia found ANYWHERE) , NOT about 20% of the holly trees I see.

I thought the ARC would be making sure I started out with a landscape that was up to State and County codes since I certainly PAID for a tree up to code and the ARC REQUIRES me to keep my "code" tree or replace it with another up to code tree when I make changes.

Is the person inspecting the new home landscape and required "code" tree incompetent, or on the take? Maybe the building inspector knows more about building codes than the required tree, but after years and tens of 1000s of planted trees, someone needed to say something, and someone needs to start doing their job.
In both homes here, the plantings from the builder survived all freezing spells and droughts and heat. I think that the foundation plantings that come WITH new homes are excellent choices. They are placed with color and size in mind and if people would wait 18 months, few would replace them...……………………... AND.....I agree with CW
Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Veteran member

It would be an interesting case to follow if a homeowner needed ARC permission to remove a tree that, according to county, state or municipal law, shouldn't have been planted in the first place.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Little John B/brush is an excellent choice. This post, and my opinion , is about planting a single native tree of minimum size and in good health, as required by statute and contract at every home.

The foundation plantings score high on the cold hardy list. Horrible choices on the low maintenance and Lots of blooms score card. Some would bloom heavily a month or 2 per year if left to grow unchecked. Loropetalum planted under 30 inch window sills is plain stupid from any good landscape designer's view. The Contractor provided landscapes has hardy plants, but the designs are hectic and hodge podge , and a lack of forethought by the layouts is apparent and rampant.

queasy, I am saying that happens. That State (and probably contract) requirements are being ignored, and the ARC is requiring permission be granted to remove, and mandating replacement with a tree that meets requirements the original tree did not meet.

When an answer is required, Is it worse that a person lie to be humble ...or brag by telling the truth?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
I read the STATE and the Sumter code for new home landscaping, specific to the tree/s required. The County code seems to mimic the State codes. Here is what I see in The Villages.

The builder provided trees are NOT to CODE.

The require trunk size seems to be severely lacking for the most part AND the trees are supposed to be Florida NATIVES, NOT Florida friendly.... NATIVE. NOT Crepe Myrtle, NOT any Magnolia except SOUTHERN magnolia (not a southern magnolia found ANYWHERE) , NOT about 20% of the holly trees I see.

I thought the ARC would be making sure I started out with a landscape that was up to State and County codes since I certainly PAID for a tree up to code and the ARC REQUIRES me to keep my "code" tree or replace it with another up to code tree when I make changes.

Is the person inspecting the new home landscape and required "code" tree incompetent, or on the take? Maybe the building inspector knows more about building codes than the required tree, but after years and tens of 1000s of planted trees, someone needed to say something, and someone needs to start doing their job.
I think you should go to the people responsible for these decisions....and face them with your outlandish accusations. In particular the "on the take" should get a response.Rather than posting on a social medial site!
Old 11-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Leesburg is giving free Crepe Myrtle if anyone is interested.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
On a somewhat related issue, I’ve been wondering about who is responsible when an existing home is sold with alterations to the original home (for example, widening of driveways, Landscaping, hardscaping, etc.)

Do I, as a perspective purchaser, have the responsibility to check with ARC to make sure the previous owner got ARC approvals for the changes made? Or is this the responsibility of the selling real estate company?

I know of a case where a complaint was lodged against a villa owner who purchased the villa with an all-Stone landscape (through The Villages home sales, BTW). As it turned out, one of the previous owners who had the stone installed did not get ARC approval. The current owner was ordered to get stone out and replace with grass within x days or face daily fines. This is a real can of worms.
You shouldn’t be responsible when home was brought from realtor or villages sales. That homework should of all ready been done and noted.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

Size matters. The girdth of the tree trunk must satisfy some people. Carry on and Peace out!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have ALWAYS tried on this forum to back up my posts with facts. I am tired of rants and opinions that are meant to anger on National news media and in print journalism. I don't like distortions of truth on this forum either.

I do not agree with the OP. I respectfully do not agree with the OP. This is not the first time I have not agreed with the OP.

Tags
code, tree, trees, arc, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.