Bad luck growing tomatoes

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Bad luck growing tomatoes

I just have bad luck growing tomatoes. This is my second year trying and the same thing is hapeing with different type of tomato species. My plants that are in 3 weeks or so started to turn yellow on top. I planted them not in sand but in gardensoil and I fertilize with Mircale Grow and water every day.

This is not new to me for I had a great garden up north.......Any advice!!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Don't over fertilize especially with the Miracle Grow.

You just might be encouraging plant growth, not FRUIT growth.

Other than that, sunny location, water the feet and you should be in ketchup soon.

If that don't work, Market of Marion has LOTS of tomatos
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I just have bad luck growing tomatoes. This is my second year trying and the same thing is hapeing with different type of tomato species. My plants that are in 3 weeks or so started to turn yellow on top. I planted them not in sand but in gardensoil and I fertilize with Mircale Grow and water every day.

This is not new to me for I had a great garden up north.......Any advice!!
In my garden in LA, I only fertilized with MG once a month, as I also planted in very rich soil. Back there, however, with the very dry climate, I did water every day but once a week, I deep watered the plants. Remember, LA is extremely dry and I lived in the high desert as well. My advice is don't over water and don't over fertilize.

I have 3 plants currently growing in my lanai in pots. They are doing very well even after the frost. I water every 3 days and have not fertilized yet, but planting in pots is very different.

Give them as much sun as you can, the more sun the better. You don't mention any tomatoes? How productive are the yellow flowers?

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Kathie
I only wish the yellow was flowers but the yellow is, or what was, the green plant itself. I do have some flowers but only 1 tomato has developed.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Kathie
I only wish the yellow was flowers but the yellow is, or what was, the green plant itself. I do have some flowers but only 1 tomato has developed.
No good, you should have a ton of yellow flowers. I have a pretty good green thumb. I have about 20 yellow flowers and about 6 tomatoes on one plant already. I'll also look this up in my books and will pm you. I'll drop by and look at them sometime soon if you want.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Yellow tops on tamatoes is caused by to much water.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Yellow tops on tamatoes is caused by to much water.
I had that problem also. It is the first time I have grown tomato plants in large planters.

I was afraid to plant them in the soil here because of all the pesticides that are used here. I used MG potting soil that had fertilizer in it for three months. When I realized I was over watering them, I stopped watering them for about a week or so and then restarted watering them.

Have lots of flowers and have gotten tomatoes from the plants. The tomatoes did not taste as good as the ones' up north.

Call the extension service and they will help diagnose your problem and give you information on how to make them grow better.

Emily
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Just wondering

Has anybody tried the upside down tomatoes tree or plant they are advertising on TV? Up North I lose about 50% of tomatoes to critters .No problem as we have over 7 acres, but I was going to try the upside down thing in TV. Just curious
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Default Don't ask the pros

I had some luck a few years ago, here in TV, by using pot planting, and as you said, some tomato friendly soil. I have always heard that yellow foliage comes from over watering. Finally, don't feel bad, other than the ones that I grew in the pots, I haven't had a tomato since moving here that tasted like anything other than maybe those styrofoam poppets you get in shipping boxes, just wetter. Obviously, the "pros" haven't figured out the anxwer either.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I do water the plants every day and to be honest with you the plants appear drooopy so I water them and they appear to perk up. I watered my tomatoes everyday up north also and never had a problem. Obviously my "green" thumb has turned another color.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Veteran member
Default To Jurek

I'm in NY. I started an upside-down tomato planter in May and now have about 20 tomatoes, the largest is about 3 inches. The only problem is that the thing is hung pretty high up and I have to climb on a stepladder to pour water in the top, and they do need daily watering.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.