bad sod?

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Sage
Default Google earth...how it looked before my house was built..

The red stuff is clay fill dirt. It packs down easily and water stands too long. I water alternate days from neighbors to lessen perpetuating swale problems.
The corner lot where trucks parked nearby had to be specially aerated and top dressed. Top dressing with black kow or other organic material is always a good idea.

But, when you get Lloyd's expertise, you will know what the real issues are. Also, you might want review zoysia care by googling uf site for it. Much of it I see is scalped..Also, with grass that is fairly established letting the lawn dry a bit between watering will encourage root growth. Best fertilizer is 8-2-12.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	51444  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Could be a reason for some lawns, but my irrigation consultant checked all sprinkler heads, which are fine, as well as the sprinkler pattern to make sure all areas are getting watered. Plus, the problem is the whole lawn, not just a few patches. The weeds, however, grow just fine lol
Irrigation consultant?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Yes. Didn't know they existed either, but he checks the lawn, the sprinkler heads, the settings, looks for leaks and checks the "weather station"---cost me $25 and $10 for one new head. I send you a PM with his name and number if interested
Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

In The Village of Lake Deaton area it was Army Worms last spring/summer that caused a problem with a lot of lawns. I had never heard of them. I have had Mole Crickets in the past (not in The Villages) and they are problematic also - the first evidence is dead grass, usually in circular patterns. Pesticides are your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It wasn't beetles that plagued that area, I just asked my husband, it was mole crickets. And it was just an area.

Call warranty even though it is past the year, they are powerful in finding causes and fixes. You would be surprised how they bend over backwards.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 PM

2nd most important thing next to water... pH

If the pH is off by much from the "comfort" range for zoysia, micro nutrients will not be absorbed. No matter what problems you find and fix with your sod, test your soil and manage your pH to get the most out of the fertilizers and water you use.

The average pH I have found testing in TV is around 7.2, a bit alkaline for zoysia. I would test a 10 x 10 with a light coffee application. if you see improvements in the following couple weeks... treat everything.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Default Bad Sod

I have the same problem exactly as you described. My phone number is 269 317-9175. Call me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.