Battery powered lawn movers: pros and cons

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2021, 09:28 AM
Default Mower

I’m interested in the mower if it isn’t already taken. You can text or call me . 978-360-4055. Thank you, Bob Nicoll , Village of St. Catherine.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFL1 View Post
Thinking of switching to a battery powered lawn mower. Does anyone have first handed experience and willing to give a review for the best in field (sorry for the pun)? Thanks
Mower will require lot amps from battery, this usually makes batteries cost more due to more battery cells (150 to 350 bucks each) With small yard work fine as long as you don’t let grass get to tall. IF you’re ok with buying replacement batteries every few years ( few IMO 3 to 4, and maybe 5) cause The more you them the less they will last until they eventually become useless. Should be good. Less maintenance, but not no maintenance. You still have to sharpen blade, clean the deck, and charge batteries.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Toymeister, I may be wrong but my first battery operated tool was a Makita but not many stores sell Makita anymore. Besides I never saw a Makita mower before. Correct me if I’m wrong but tell me who sells Makita mowers? The biggest Hardware chains don’t, Lowe’s, Home Depot& Ace don’t. But you’re right Makita is the best. I have Milwaukee now but they use to be totally junk.
Makita is sold by Home Depot. Vendors can buy store floor space to move more product. In addition the big box stores promote their own store brands. The larger, less common, Makita items are in the store in the back. The Makita hand held tools are on the floor. When you order online at HD, deliver to store option, the mower will be ready for pick-up in a hour or so.

Makita can not compete with Kobalt/ Ryobi on price. The average consumer simply does not value quality. Bushings vs. bearings? Plastic deck vice steel? Quality lithium cells vice generic Chinese? It is simply impossible to under estimate people's lack of understanding of quality and what it costs.

Last edited by Toymeister; 07-07-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:35 AM

I have used a Kobalt 80v for about a year on 10K sf yard. Have the self propelled mower, string trimmer, edger and blower. They all work fine, and battery life has never been an issue. Batteries are interchangeable, however the mower has a larger and heavier battery. The only caution is that it looks like Lowes will stop carrying this brand.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Makita is sold by Home Depot. Vendors can buy store floor space to move more product. In addition the big box stores promote their own store brands. The larger, less common, Makita items are in the store in the back. The Makita hand held tools are on the floor. When you order online at HD, deliver to store option, the mower will be ready for pick-up in a hour or so.

Makita can not compete with Kobalt/ Ryobi on price. The average consumer simply does not value quality. Bushings vs. bearings? Plastic deck vice steel? Quality lithium cells vice generic Chinese? It is simply impossible to under estimate people's lack of understanding of quality and what it costs.
Everything Makita makes is high quality.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
I have a Kobalt 80v self propelled and have been pretty happy with it. Mine is two years old so and haven’t had any problems so far.
I have the same! No issues - plenty of battery life (I have a larger yard) - and I like that it folds up and takes little space in the garage.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
I have a Kobalt 80v self propelled and have been pretty happy with it. Mine is two years old so and haven’t had any problems so far.
I have had a Kobalt push-type mower for 4 years that is excellent in all respects. No repair problems. It is so quiet that I did not have to wear ear defenders like for a gas mower. I do not have to worry about hard starting due to stale gas. It is very light to push and maneuverable. It could handle pretty high grass if the blade is kept sharp. No spark plug to clean constantly. I have nothing but good things to say about it!
Old 07-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Funny - no one likes electric golf carts……
That's because the dealers say (incorrectly) that the electric golf cars always need to be towed back more than the gas golf cars. And the dealers may be locked into traditional gasoline brands?
Old 07-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I currently mow my lawn with my trusty old Honda gas mower. It works fine now, but is getting on a bit. My fear with electric mowers is their ability (or lack of) to plow through a lawn that should have been mowed 3 or 4 day earlier. I get lazy sometimes and it takes a "gentle" nudge from my wife to get me up off the couch.

Can electric mowers deal with cutting 2 or 3 inches of grass?

Thanks for any feedback.
Yes!
Old 07-07-2021, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydog View Post
I own a Ryobi... 40V lithium.... highly recommend it.
July Consumer Reports top rated battery mower is the Ryobi RY401200 for $480 with a 5 year warranty.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What strange comments. I don't believe I have ever cleaned a spark plug in a lawn mower, let alone "clean it continuously", and can never remember having to replace one either. The air filter does need to be cleaned and the oil changed periodically. I have never had a problem with stale gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I have had a Kobalt push-type mower for 4 years that is excellent in all respects. No repair problems. It is so quiet that I did not have to wear ear defenders like for a gas mower. I do not have to worry about hard starting due to stale gas. It is very light to push and maneuverable. It could handle pretty high grass if the blade is kept sharp. No spark plug to clean constantly. I have nothing but good things to say about it!
Old 07-08-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Mower will require lot amps from battery, this usually makes batteries cost more due to more battery cells (150 to 350 bucks each) With small yard work fine as long as you don’t let grass get to tall. IF you’re ok with buying replacement batteries every few years ( few IMO 3 to 4, and maybe 5) cause The more you them the less they will last until they eventually become useless. Should be good. Less maintenance, but not no maintenance. You still have to sharpen blade, clean the deck, and charge batteries.
I don't have a cordless mower (mow 4 acres each week) but have a Ego cordless trimmer. Wanted a second battery and Home Depot has a 2.5 Ah batter for around $120. They also had a cordless blower and quick charger and 2.0Ah battery on clearance for $90 so I bought that instead. It was an older discontinued model. The battery only lasted for six months when I discovered it sat uncharged in home depot for about a year and a half. Called up Ego and they have a three year battery warranty. They just wanted the serial number and send a 2.5 Ah battery with no questions asked! So you are covered for three years at least with Ego.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Gold member

Just don’t let your grass get too high!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:15 PM
Default Ryobi

I have a battery operated ryobi which has been very successful on the lawn here in Caroline. It folds up, taking less real estate in the garage, whole lawn on one charge. Would highly recommend..
Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,088 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Just don’t let your grass get too high!
That's the surprising part. I thought I'd be mowing twice a week when I bought the Kobalt, but no, even with all the rain we've had and the grass growing taller that the mower deck every week, it cuts right through it, no problem. And that's even while also driving the wheels.

I've got a big yard for the villages (.25ac). I could probably mow it three times on a charge if I wanted to. The only thing I don't like about it is the price -- it cost more than the heavy-duty, four-wheel-drive, Honda-powered mower I used in Texas. But even if this plastic mower only makes it through one season, I'm still money ahead over paying someone to do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, lawn, powered, give, review

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.