BEES. In the ground and stinging me but here in Ohio. HELP

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default BEES. In the ground and stinging me but here in Ohio. HELP

Four or five years ago we had a nest of hornets? that came out of a hole in the ground and they stung me more than a dozen times when I used the garden hose on the hole , the entrance to their house I guess. I called the exterminator and for a hundred bucks they were gone.

Now we have another critter nest in the ground , bees of some kind, and I just got stung again. My husband poured Severn down it last night and I had poured kitty litter on it. Well one stung me as I was sweeping the walk. Does anyone have advice for me, or should I just call the expensive exterminator?

Do they have mean bees in Florida? I am grateful not to be hyperallergic, but they HURT.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Sage
Default Re: BEES. In the ground and stinging me but here in Ohio. HELP

Hi Gracie:
I live in Hadley and the other day we found a large wasp nest in our bottle bush. We waited until night and my hubby cut the branch it was on, sprayed it good with wasp killer and smashed it between two newspapers with his foot. Lucky no wasps came at him. Now I see a few flying around the bush looking for their nest. I lived in Dayton and we always had honeybees and yellow jackets. We tried to get rid of them ourselves, to no avail. Finally called Abel exterminators. It didn't cost that much and they got rid of them and they never came back.
Good luck.

Judy
Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

don't mess with the Sevin, get the big guns,
the wasp and hornet killer will work, so would any heavy duty insecticide.

(ie: termites, or the whole house sprays they have are pretty darned good)
Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Gold member

Graciegirl, we've used wasp and hornet spray and always been able to control the bees ourselves. We always spray the area/nest after darkness has descended and all the bees are back in their nest. The spray can reads that one can spray from a distance of 20'. We've never sprayed that far away but if you absolutely must spray during daylight hours it would give a little running room. Good luck, it's not fun being stung that often.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 AM

We are currently up north but have had for the last 2 years a bees nest in our yard. We have just used the wasp & hornet spray on their entrance ing the ground at night and we usually get rid of them in one try. But we were told you have to do it at night.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

We had ground dwelling sand hornets back in WV. Big scary looking critters. We found that waiting till dusk after they have all gone home and dropping a couple firecrackers down their hole did the trick. Of course any excuse to blow anything up was welcome for us kids.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I got stung more times from "Yellow Jackets" in teeh ground in mulch piles as well as many other places. When I found them in the ground (or they found me) I would wait until dark and then pour some gasoline in the hole and then light it up. Never bothered me again...until another nest was hatched!! I call that revenge!!!

PS You wait until dark for the bees become much less active...but I dont mess around after pouring the gas...I light it up quick and stand back!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Sage

Spraying wasps nests with Wasp and Hornet spray has always worked for me. After dark, of course, when they're all asleep. I have a severe allergy to yellow-jacket wasps so I'm very careful to spray from a distance and run like hell!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well the end of week score is GracieGirl 0 and Bees 5, Actually 6, they stung Sweetie once. We have done all of the things suggested and still the little varmints have 3 or 4 "guard Bees" flying around and they dislike me intensely. Their nest is right between the house and the front sidewalk and I give UP. On Tuesday the bee getter is coming.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:29 AM

graciegirl, calling the pros is a good move. You should be very cautious from this point on, after several stings you can develop a sensitivity to the stings which can result in life-threating symptoms. LED
Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Gold member

Good for you, Graciegirl. You know those bees love their honeys, you two are a natural target.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwduo
You should be very cautious from this point on, after several stings you can develop a sensitivity to the stings which can result in life-threating symptoms. LED
That is a very good point. GG, be careful now. I used to be just fine with wasp stings. After being stung many times in my life, I suddenly developed a life-threatening allergy. Now if I get stung I have to take an ambulance to the hospital and get an IV.

GG, if you get stung and your throat starts to close up or you get hives, get yourself to a hospital girl.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Gold member

Barefoot, do you carry an EpiPen with you at all times for insect stings?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachie
Barefoot, do you carry an EpiPen with you at all times for insect stings?
Actually, Peachie, I do carry two EpiPens with me and use them both if I get stung. I am only allergic to the sting of yellow-jacket wasps. But then I still have to go to the hospital and get an IV.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Platinum member

GG - Be careful! I discovered two big mud nests in the outside corners of my house. I sprayed with hornet spray and then washed it off. I was told it was mud dopplers and that they do not sting and that they like bottle brush trees which I have. I am now alert for any signs of their return -i.e. inspecting the outside corners.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.