Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower?

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Default Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower?

Looking for some referrals for a self propelled walk behind lawn mower that does a good job on our type of lawns. It also needs to be a good bagging mower that will pick up those leaves from the Oaks that we can't remove that create a mess all over The Villages. Sorry, Just Saying! lol
Old 09-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

You might want to check with consumer reports.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:40 PM

For the money, the best I have ever owned is the new Honda’s. One easy pull and it starts [U]every[U] time.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

I HIGHLY recommend the Toro "Personal Pace" SmartStow recycler. It does an excellent job mulching and had a bag for catching when you decide not to recycle. The personal pace feature is self-propelled and propels the mower at whatever speed is best for you. The best feature is SmartStow which allows you to store the mower upright on its back. The handle folds in half and it hardly takes up any room for storage compared to regular mowers. I've had mine for two trouble-free years.
I purchased it from the Toro dealer in Wildwood for the same price that Home Depot was selling it.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Lawnmower

You cant go wrong with toro or honda although i think hondas are more expensive. Had toros for years without any problems. Just make sure u get rear wheel drive
Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
For the money, the best I have ever owned is the new Honda’s. One easy pull and it starts [U]every[U] time.
Agreed!! I've had good luck with older Honda and now a newer Honda.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Well, I had a Troy built for years and as long as I took it in for a tune up each spring it started on the first pull.

Since moving here, our lawn is so small I decided to propel the mower myself and got a DeWalt electric walk behind. It fits in with all my other DeWalt stuff, so I can share batteries. I like the fact it runs at the push of a button, it is much quieter than my gas mower was, and I don't have to keep any gas and don't have to get it tuned up. I have a weed hacker, leaf blower and mower now (for outside) and various shop tools that are all DeWalt and love the electric.

I was concerned the electric my not be powerful enough, but that is NOT a problem.

Every time a neighbors yard gets mowed by a roaring gas mower, I smile and feel like I am being a little bit nicer neighbor.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Well, I had a Troy built for years and as long as I took it in for a tune up each spring it started on the first pull.

Since moving here, our lawn is so small I decided to propel the mower myself and got a DeWalt electric walk behind. It fits in with all my other DeWalt stuff, so I can share batteries. I like the fact it runs at the push of a button, it is much quieter than my gas mower was, and I don't have to keep any gas and don't have to get it tuned up. I have a weed hacker, leaf blower and mower now (for outside) and various shop tools that are all DeWalt and love the electric.

I was concerned the electric my not be powerful enough, but that is NOT a problem.

Every time a neighbors yard gets mowed by a roaring gas mower, I smile and feel like I am being a little bit nicer neighbor.
I agree battery power come along nicely, if I had small yard I’d look at EGO. If he going to expect it to bag I would go with Honda. Mowers really don’t need tuneup’s any more. All the need is oil changed, air filter cleaned, and no alcohol gas. After years of use maybe spark plug if you can’t clean carbon off it.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Toro Personal Pace.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I find small family owned and operated grass mowing/maintenance operators do the best!!
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM

Can not beat a Honda engine.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 09-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The best mower to use is anyone that a landscaper brings with them.

When I did my own lawn it was strictly a Snapper. Did a beautiful job and ran like a Swiss Watch.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:27 PM

We had a Toro up north and left it with a neighbor when it was 20 years old. I bought it with a 2 cycle Suzuki engine because we had a hilly yard and I didn't want the engine to lose lubrication.

We bought a Honda down here and after 18 years it is still working fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, mower, propelled, lawn, oaks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.