Best Type of Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Sage

Jimbo - did you find anything intereting at the garden sale yesterday???
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage

Oh yes, I think my tailgate was dragging on the way back with 11 palms and other assorted plants.

They are open today also if you want to save over half the $$ they sell stuff 4 here.

Well worth the ride
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked;6***45
The best palms are the ones that are planted in someone else's yard! They are a constant, messy, expensive maintenance nightmares. They also attract all manner of bugs (including those huge cockroaches) and rodents.

I have lived in Florida for 52 years and I will never, ever have a Palm in my yard.
There must be more than a grain of truth to your statement.

Our neighbors behind us who had two homes before their current one here in TV said that they would never plant palms again for the very reason that you said. I notice that most people in our new village who have lived here before, haven't planted palms.

I hate those huge roaches that live in them.

But they won't hurt you and you can have the pest fellows keep them at bay

But if everyone liked or disliked the same thing, they would only sell vanilla ice cream.

AND as Jimbo says...People just love the look of Palm trees.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Jumbo:

Where was the garden sale held? Is this something that is held quite often or is this sale an annual event only?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Was thinking that to be a real Floridian home you needed a Palm tree or two added to the landscape.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
Jumbo:

Where was the garden sale held? Is this something that is held quite often or is this sale an annual event only?
Leu gardens once a year, today is last day

Harry P. Leu Gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
Was thinking that to be a real Floridian home you needed a Palm tree or two added to the landscape.
usually in odd numbers, 3 5 7 9 etc.

if you drive down BV to Brownwood you will not see an even number

Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked;6***45
The best palms are the ones that are planted in someone else's yard! They are a constant, messy, expensive maintenance nightmares. They also attract all manner of bugs (including those huge cockroaches) and rodents.
We've only had palms for six years, so we're not experts like LndLocked! However we find palms to be a beautiful addition to our yard and we wouldn't be without them! We haven't experienced any mess or expensive maintenance nightmares or rodents. We currently have a queen palm, a pindo, and a double sylvester (our favorite). We'll be planting more.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum member

I love those Sylvester Palms. We have them up and down our street and they are a great look.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum member

I like the look of palms too and also like the Sylvester. As far as the rodents climbing the trees and jumping ontot he roof to gain entry, has anyone ever seen the palm trees in Waikiki? Most all of the tall palms there have a sheet metal band around the tree trunk about 12to 18" wide. No one has ever told me why they are there, but I have always assumed it was to keep rodents from climbing past that point. Wonder if something like that would work here?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage

just to follow up on Leu's garden palms

we pickup (not really 2 young guys did the picking up part)

Canary Island - date palm
mule
pindo
bizmarkias
windmill
sabal causiarum
coontie (6)
rhapis multi
arenga elgleri
Sabal minor
silver saw
c. microspadix
seashore Allagoptera arenaria

need to place them now.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
First, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.

I am by no means an expert here, but some observations. First, the "Best" palm trees is of course an opinion, so answers may vary. Personally I dislike the Queen palms. They are inexpensive so many landscapers put them in. They grow fast, so in a few years they are a constant maintenance cost to trim. Also, they have large seed pods that can fall.

The biggest mistake I commonly see when doing inspections is when they are planted too close to the house. The Palm branches then overhang and sometimes scrape against the siding and roof causing damage. Squirrels, rats, etc will climb up these and get onto your roof. Squirrels can damage your roof plumbing vents, etc. Keep all vegetation well away from your roof.

I think the best palms are those that are slow growing and do not get too tall. They should not be too messy, and be native to this area and of course be "cold hardy". I personally like a Pindo Palm.

Others wiser then I will of course advise you better as to their choices. You are smart to think about this BEFORE planting is done. Good luck and again, welcome!

Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Not only is everything here correct about the taller fast growing palms, but when I sit in my lanai or look out my window I only get the pleasure of seeing a palm tree trunk. I enjoy my neighbor's9-10 foot high palm more than I do my own.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Sage

Why pay for all the growth (height), 5-8 foot they all grow slow.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=jimbo2012;643560
Why pay for all the growth (height), 5-8 foot they all grow slow.[/QUOTE]

And it's really satisfying to nurture them and watch them grow.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I like the look of palms too and also like the Sylvester. As far as the rodents climbing the trees and jumping ontot he roof to gain entry, has anyone ever seen the palm trees in Waikiki? Most all of the tall palms there have a sheet metal band around the tree trunk about 12to 18" wide. No one has ever told me why they are there, but I have always assumed it was to keep rodents from climbing past that point. Wonder if something like that would work here?
The bands around the palm trunks in Hawaii do work to keep rodents out of the trees. They are made of metal that will not rust. That said, I would rather have bugs and rodents in the palms than in the house. The real answer is to trap or control the invaders before they get established.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

make sure you take note of how tall the ones you are contemplating grow. That eye level nice looking palm now may go to 30 feet.

We put in several queen palms. They look very nice and are inexpensive. However, if I had to do it over again I would not choose queen palms. They do get very tall very fast. They require constant trimming otheir fronds to stay looking nice. And they produce seed pods several times a year that if they are not removed before they open you have a mess of almost golf ball sized seeds all around the tree. The seed pods are huge and the seed bunch are equally huge. Queen palms grow at an amazingly fast rate!!!!

They do attract everything. Roaches, ants, mice, squirrels and yes sometimes snakes.

Sylvesteri and pindo and others like them are much, MUCH easier to maintain and do look very "Floridy".

Good luck.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.