BEWARE in FP!

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Default BEWARE in FP!

A small portion of The Villages is in Fruitland Park city limits.
The City just posted a stop work order on an ARC approved driveway widening being poured because they did not have a permit from the City of Fruitland Park. Whodathunkit.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Just because something is approved by the Villages - it is not exempted from local requirements. It's too bad the contractor did not obtain the permit or ask if it had been obtained before work started.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM

The company has been in business over 20 years, done work all over Lake and Sumter counties, and is the chosen contractor for most of Sumter County's concrete flat work. Ever think Fruitland Park never had an issue with a tiny wedge of concrete till The Villages ?
I have spoken to several more contractors in the area, and none of them knew Fruitland Park was requiring / issuing driveway permits.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
The company has been in business over 20 years, done work all over Lake and Sumter counties, and is the chosen contractor for most of Sumter County's concrete flat work. Ever think Fruitland Park never had an issue with a tiny wedge of concrete till The Villages ?
I have spoken to several more contractors in the area, and none of them knew Fruitland Park was requiring / issuing driveway permits.
Tried taking a short-cut...... how did that work out? They would know if they asked! And what does Sumter Co. have to do with any of this? You're talking Lake Co.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When whoever it was who circumvented the proper channels to do something they wanted to do is identified, please tell us.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
It is the job of all of them to know what permits are required.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM

I think Fruitland Park is doing a fine job of policing the tiny bit of TV they annexed into the "City" . I posted this to help warn people who live in that area they may want to check with FP with every little thing they do. If you want to know who the terrible person was that mistakenly widened his driveway , just like his neighbor did 2 weeks ago , also WITHOUT a FP permit, I am sure you can call down to FP City Hall and find out so you can ... why is it you want to know who they are?

Last edited by Ozzello; 11-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM

You don't need a permit anywhere else in TV to widen a driveway. Not in Lady Lake, Sumerfield, Wildwood, Leesburg, Sumter Lake or Marion County. There also is no sign in TV when you enter the area annexed into Fruitland Park saying you are in FP city limits.

I have been a contractor and a construction inspector in this area over 30 years, I am FROM Fruitland Park, and I had no idea. Just glad my friend let me know before I did a job in that area.

Hope I gave someone else a heads up.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
You don't need a permit anywhere else in TV to widen a driveway. Not in Lady Lake, Sumerfield, Wildwood, Leesburg, Sumter Lake or Marion County. There also is no sign in TV when you enter the area annexed into Fruitland Park saying you are in FP city limits.

I have been a contractor and a construction inspector in this area over 30 years, I am FROM Fruitland Park, and I had no idea. Just glad my friend let me know before I did a job in that area.

That is absolutely incorrect. Sumter, Marion and Lake Counties all require a permit for any driveway widening project.

Last edited by photo1902; 11-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
That is absolutely incorrect. Sumter, Marion and Lake Counties all require a permit for any driveway widening project.
Agree....there have been a couple driveway projects done close to me and contractor did all the ARC paperwork and obtained and displayed the permits. I'm in Sumter and don't do anything outside without ARC approval and permits....I may sell this sucker at some point so having past work "legal" rather than having to redo stuff before closing is important to me.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In my almost 80 years the hardest thing I have had to do is admit that I may be somewhat to blame for most things that happened to me.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:

I know from first hand experience that you are REQUIRED to get a permit for driveway widening in Sumter County, this is NOT a building department permit, it is a STREETS department permit and it comes from Bushnell, not the local Pinellas office. Also, I was tipped off about this from one of the 3 contractors I asked to bid, the Pinellas building department gave me WRONG information. I reported this to the streets department, and they told me this had happened before.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:

Looks like you better verify that statement before doing a job in Sumter County.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I agree. There was a nasty battle over that very subject when a homeowner tried to widen his driveway.
Closed Thread

Tags
city, park, fruitland, poured, widening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.