Bottlebrush tree hurricane wind damage - help!

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Unhappy Bottlebrush tree hurricane wind damage - help!

I have three weeping bottlebrush trees that provide a much needed privacy wall for me. Luckily, the hurricane did not cause the trees to snap, but some of the ends are turning brown and the trees are thinning. I heard these trees are susceptible to wind damage, but don't know what to do for the trees to restore them to their fullness.

Any suggestions would be TRULY be appreciated!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 AM

These are pretty hardy trees/bushes. I had one tha was planted too close to our birdcage. I cut it way back to the main trunks with very little if any branches left. My intent was to remove the remaining portion on a future visit. Well that ended up being 3 months later. To my surprise it had grown back, complete with new bright pink foliage. Just give it time, I'm sure it will come back.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 AM

Do you think I should cut off the areas that are brown?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcup View Post
Do you think I should cut off the areas that are brown?
Yes, Prune them way back for fuller more beautiful trees..
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Sorry, I am not an expert on the bush, just sharing my experience. But my unprofessional opinion would be trimming dead or dying areas, encourages new growth. Give it a little longer and determine what is beyond self healing. Things grow quick down here!

Good luck, I'm sure you will get better feedback soon.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Gold member

Mine was about 4 years old. It was getting pretty big, but I kept it staked. So, a branch with about 1/3 of the canopy snapped off and split the trunk. I had to have it taken out. Probably would have been better for it to lean over, and then prop it up again.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Default Take to cooperative extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcup View Post
I have three weeping bottlebrush trees that provide a much needed privacy wall for me. Luckily, the hurricane did not cause the trees to snap, but some of the ends are turning brown and the trees are thinning. I heard these trees are susceptible to wind damage, but don't know what to do for the trees to restore them to their fullness.

Any suggestions would be TRULY be appreciated!
I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT BUT, "bottle brush tree,"
I think that is a graft as the plant is normally a bush.

My suggestion at the top is to take some pictures of the plant and be sure to show the location where it is as well and bring it to the cooperative extension with a sample of the brach you describe as having brown tips.

You might also look it up on the internet. Among other things you will find materials from the cooperative extension. That might save you tinme to go there and more important you will get a researched report by their expert on the bottle brush rather than someone trying to deal with everything.

It is time to play Sherlock Holmes. When, were these plants put in?

You say,"some of the ends are turning brown," are the brown ends on only one plant? Only one branch? If, only one branch, can you simply remove that one branch and cut out the problem? If, so, be sure to clean your cutting tools before and after.

You seem to be focused on the wind. Remember with the hurricane we also had 8-10 inches of rain. Brown tips could simply be over watering combined with poor drainage-our poor soil.

The bottlebrush is a tough plant. BUT, YOU can kill it with too much IMPROPER care. DO NOT FERTILIZE IN NOW-it is naturally slowing down for winter.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Gold member
Default Read my post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larbud View Post
Yes, Prune them way back for fuller more beautiful trees..
The OP says weeping trees.
The bottlebrush is normally a BUSH. The ones they sell as weeping trees are grafts. If, you cut them, as you suggest, you will either kill it or get a plant that is the original root stock.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Gold member

bottlebrush tree - Google Search
Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Don't cut anything now. Wait until mid February to prune.
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, bottlebrush, hurricane, wind, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.