Bottlebrush Trees

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Bottlebrush Trees

Here is some information about a good tree for this area, Weeping Bottlebrush Tree.

"Callistemon viminalis, bottle-brush. Exceptional small tree, 20–30' high and 15' spread, freely branching small evergreen. Pendulous branches filled with magnificent red flowers during mid-spring and summer. Needs staking first 2–3 years.* (Underlining added for emphasis). From Australia. With excessive water, trees can become chlorotic. Sun. 20o F."

Source:* jruiz@cvwd.org
For all other inquiries or comments please contact:
Coachella Valley Water District
P.O. Box 1058
Coachella, CA
(760) 398-2651
(760) 398-3711 (FAX)

They are great foundation or specimen plantings.* They need little water after they are established.* As you can see from the above source, staking is required during the first couple of years.* Many experts will advise the removal of the nursery-supplied support stakes (the bamboo pole shown in the first photo, below) when planted and to replace these with the typically recommended two- or three-stake support system located away from the root ball loosly supporting the tree (allowing some sway, but no permanant "lean"). * These trees, when young, have a willowy trunk that needs support for a period of time.

This is what they are like from the nursery, the typical size when planting.* This is NOT me in the photo ...
The Villages Florida

After a couple of years...
The Villages Florida

And here are their flowers in spring and early summer...
The Villages Florida

Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to parksummit
Default Re: Bottlebrush Trees

Hey Jerry---I was always taught that bottlebrush trees were something you made to simulate pine trees on a model railroad, not a real tree. Learn something new every day. Glad to see you got moved in-have you airconditioned the garage for your new layout yet?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

One warning about bottlebush trees -- bees and wasps love them. If you're allergic to bees, I would not recommend having one -- at least not close to a door or window. Had one in California. Loved it. The second trip to the hospital convinced me it wasn't that pretty anyway and had to go.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
One warning about bottlebush trees -- bees and wasps love them.* If you're allergic to bees, I would not recommend having one -- at least not close to a door or window.* Had one in California.* Loved it.* The second trip to the hospital convinced me it wasn't that pretty anyway and had to go.
I'm sorry about your allergy.* Wasp or bee bites or no fun, allergy or no allergy.* I had a Bottlebrush tree in South Florida for 18 years.* Never bitten by a bee there and I always did my own yard maintenance.* And the wasps seem to prefer the areas around our eves and downspouts; that would be (no pun intended) a more significant problem around here.* I've already experienced several wasps BBT (before Bottlebrush Trees) here.* I will keep a can of wasp spray handy...the kind with a 15 foot long narrow stream -* Black Flag or Raid.

They also attract butterflies which is nice.* Speaking of butterflies.* I've never seen a better butterfly attractor than the Passion Vine.* Amazing quantity of butterflies along a 50' fence covered with Passion Vines I once had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksummit
Hey Jerry---I was always taught that bottlebrush trees were something you made to simulate pine trees on a model railroad, not a real tree. Learn something new every day. Glad to see you got moved in-have you airconditioned the garage for your new layout yet?
If the trees become a problem (which obviously they have become already ) then I will have hundreds of little bottle brush trees all over my train layout.* Yes.* The garage is AC'd.* I love it
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

that's quite a nice tree, I like it. Thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Gold member

Hi, I am just saying "Hello" so that I get all new messages on this thread.

HB
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Sage

I agree with Red. I got stung while touching one of the flowers. I did not see the wasp under the flower. He saw me...and he bit me..and it hurt like .

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
One warning about bottlebush trees -- bees and wasps love them. If you're allergic to bees, I would not recommend having one -- at least not close to a door or window. Had one in California. Loved it. The second trip to the hospital convinced me it wasn't that pretty anyway and had to go.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.