Burning Bush

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Sage
Default Burning Bush

Hubby and I have just returned from a trip to Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. While in NC, we noticed these extremely red, beautiful bushes. I have discovered that they are "burning bush" and grow in a number of parts of the country, though not here it seems. They come in a compact size that I would love to have, though I'm not sure it is cool enough here to cause the leaves to redden for fall. Anyone have one of these autumn beauties? Were they much work? Did they get massively huge if you didn't have the small variety?

Pat
Old 11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Had one at home

I can answer all but one of your questions. They can get very large but are easily comtrolled with pruning. They are beautiful in fall. I did see them for sale down here so they might turn. Since the change in the fall foilage is part of their natural cycle I bet they would toun but maybe not as vividly. They are members of the Eunonymus family and are hard in zone 8. They are deciduous however, so they do lose their leaves. I agree thay are very handsome. Sally

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Whew. I thought this was gonna be a political.....statement.

Glad you're back Pooh, we missed you!!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I can answer all but one of your questions. They can get very large but are easily comtrolled with pruning. They are beautiful in fall. I did see them for sale down here so they might turn. Since the change in the fall foilage is part of their natural cycle I bet they would toun but maybe not as vividly. They are members of the Eunonymus family and are hard in zone 8. They are deciduous however, so they do lose their leaves. I agree thay are very handsome. Sally

They were so vivid and really took me by surprise. Had never seen them before. I'll look for the "compact" variety, though they might not be in the garden shops right now. There are two spots in my back yard that would be good for them, with and without their leaves.

Thanks, Sally.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Whew. I thought this was gonna be a political.....statement.

Glad you're back Pooh, we missed you!!
LOLOLOL Gracie!!! Besides, wrong forum.... It's nice to be back. Now, I just have to get my house back in order. Two grandkids with Harry Potter wands and brooms and a grandmother playing along with them can leave things rather "untidy" to say the least!

Last edited by pooh; 11-03-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Even the compact variety can grow to over 10 feet. They do take well to pruning. Prune in the Spring when there are the first signs of growth.
They're native to China and Korea and are considered by some to be invasive. l
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Default Optimal color

Did you hear a deep voice intoning "I am that I am" and have a strong urge to take off your shoes and prostrate yourself before it??

Seriously,
For most of the year these plants are fairly non-discript but WOW! in the fall they are amazing! For best fall color plant them in full sun (no shade - at least up here in Michigan!) the more shade, the less striking will be their fall color.

I din't realize that they are classified as "invasive" but they are fast growing - the second link talks about their easy propogation by seed carried by birds, etc. Up here in MI, I guess the winters inhibit their growth somewhat though our neighbor has one that is easily 10 feet tall. Prune at will! (best in spring up here, anyway)

Here's are a couple of links for more information:http://www.tlehcs.com/question%20of%...urningbush.htm

This one talks about it being invasive - especially in the south...
:http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...240421020.html
Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
Did you hear a deep voice intoning "I am that I am" and have a strong urge to take off your shoes and prostrate yourself before it??

Seriously,
For most of the year these plants are fairly non-discript but WOW! in the fall they are amazing! For best fall color plant them in full sun (no shade - at least up here in Michigan!) the more shade, the less striking will be their fall color.

I din't realize that they are classified as "invasive" but they are fast growing - the second link talks about their easy propogation by seed carried by birds, etc. Up here in MI, I guess the winters inhibit their growth somewhat though our neighbor has one that is easily 10 feet tall. Prune at will! (best in spring up here, anyway)

Here's are a couple of links for more information:http://www.tlehcs.com/question%20of%...urningbush.htm

This one talks about it being invasive - especially in the south...
:http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...240421020.html
LOL....no, I didn't hear the voice....lol.

Thanks for the links. When we lived in southern CA, our crape myrtle was sort of like burning bush, as far as spreading. We constantly had little "trees" popping up in the lawn, though I don't think it was anything like what some have posted about burning bush.

After reading just how much they spread, by whatever means, they are probably much nicer to see in other locales than to have them in my yard, though that color is just what I'd like to have. I'll just have to keep on searching.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM

I had burning bush when I lived in PA and they were gorgeous. They do grow large. I haven't seen any down this way and I have discovered that many of my "up North" plant varieties do not do well here. Good luck and would love to know how they would work here.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
I had burning bush when I lived in PA and they were gorgeous. They do grow large. I haven't seen any down this way and I have discovered that many of my "up North" plant varieties do not do well here. Good luck and would love to know how they would work here.
We've come from southern CA and have many of what appear to be the same plants that grow here, though I wonder if they're a different variety.

Burning bush is good to a particular climate zone and from what I've read, some varieties do grow in Florida. The spreading aspect is what concerns me....though they are so pretty in the fall. I'll just have to keep searching. Will let you know what I find...
Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Gold member

We had them in front of our house in PA, they looked great in the fall.

Temporarily changed my avatar so you can see what they looked like.

The Villages Florida

Here's a larger image of the winter photo.

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 11-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
We had them in front of our house in PA, they looked great in the fall.

Temporarily changed my avatar so you can see what they looked like.
They're beautiful, BogeyBoy, thank you for sharing. Did you have any problems with them spreading? Looks like you've planted them in an area where they can grow.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
They're beautiful, BogeyBoy, thank you for sharing. Did you have any problems with them spreading? Looks like you've planted them in an area where they can grow.
Actually we had them in three different areas and they did very well in all locations. (Totally open area, protected by shade of house, and on sunny side of the house.)

I did minor trimming each year but they never got out of control.

Temporarily changed the avatar again so you can see what they looked like in winter - not quite so colorful!

Larger image of the summer photo:
The Villages Florida

If you look closely you can see more of the bushes along the side of the house.

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 11-04-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Sage

Well, a different look in the winter. The branches look really pretty against the white snow. Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.