Bushes along side of home

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2020, 07:53 AM
Default Bushes

Thanks for all the input. Key find someone to get it approved quick. I do not want to go to war with ARC, but they will be sorry if they screw with me. Not when you pay 500k for a house they better give flexibility within reason or be tied up in court for ever.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Default Privacy Panels for birdcage or elsewhere....

If you’re looking for privacy, check out panels made by Parasoleil.com. (Say: “Para-sol-lay” 😁)
Panels are available in a various of colors, designs, and sizes. Depending on the laser-cut design you choose, they provide both privacy and decoration.
Parasoleil panels fall into an architectural category known as “building cladding,” but can be used in a variety of creative ways. Quite a unique product.

Checkout the Parasoleil website. Call me if your have other questions (I’m not an employee ... just a satisfied customer!)
Casey / 602-418-8267
Old 04-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wag View Post
Thanks for all the input. Key find someone to get it approved quick. I do not want to go to war with ARC, but they will be sorry if they screw with me. Not when you pay 500k for a house they better give flexibility within reason or be tied up in court for ever.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Look up the story of the guy with the little white cross. You will not win against ARC. You signed an agreement when you bought your house. ARC is never sorry.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Congratulations! You win "Funniest Post of the Day"!
Old 04-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Look up the story of the guy with the little white cross. You will not win against ARC. You signed an agreement when you bought your house. ARC is never sorry.
Everyone signs....... the problem is few read it.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 AM

When we moved in, we worked with our neighbor on some landscaping in our backyard (that cannot be seen from the street), but it was denied by the ARC. Apparently, at least in some neighborhoods, they do not allow bushes that create the look of a fence. That was not our intention and they helped us to make modifications to our plan that was approved on the second submission (and honestly after taking their suggestions it was a much prettier design than our original proposal). If the bushes you are proposing are planted around your birdcage (and not along the property line, like a fence), they will probably approve. Also, a variety of different plantings instead of a line of bushes like a hedge seems to be more desirable. If they don't approve your design, they are very nice, and they will help you achieve what you need within your village's guidelines. I did not find them confrontational, but then again, we were not dead set on a specific design, and we were more than willing to take their advice. In fact, their advice was much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,177 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
How much you pay for a house has no bearing on the rules here. You can't make it happen "quick"ly. They have a schedule. They follow the schedule. Rich people don't get special treatment by the ARC. If you don't like the rules please reconsider coming here. Maybe your erstwhile neighbors would get a nice person in that home.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
The price of the house does not play into the validity of a contract signed by the owner. Big words. Good luck with that.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
The price of the house does not play into the validity of a contract signed by the owner. Big words. Good luck with that.
Agree. If you want to do your own thing, that’s great, but you may have chosen the wrong place.

If you’re just pulling our collective legs, I’d recommend podocarpus. They generally have a more narrow growth habit, which is, I think, what you’re looking for. Another good screening shrub is viburnum which is very attractive but has a wider growth habit. I’d avoid ligustrum and probably bottlebrush for this application.

Good luck in your new home. BTW, a $500k home here is not all that—not that it would change the rules if it were.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

You don't have enough money to fight this in court. Kinda like how well do you think you would do in a wrestling match with an 800 lb gorilla.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
You signed a covenant when you purchased your home that you would abide by the rules of the community. You would not win a case against the ARC for not following those rules. There is no such thing as “quick”. The ARC meets on a scheduled basis and they are not meeting right now due to the shutdown. $500K does not impress anyone except yourself.

Last edited by DianeM; 04-11-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Interesting. Well what ever you all say? I think I 'll handle things myself, No need to be insulting, but I will remember those who are. Must be a lot of certain people who know everything. OK I know what I signed and I also know we have rights, it is not a dictatorship. Must read carefully what it says. And take into account certain specifications. But never mind apparently we have much smarter people than me out there? LOL
Old 04-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Do you know the number or where they are located?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM

podocarpus bushes grow quickly, get tall but stays fairly narrow so good to make privacy buffer hedge. also doesn't shed leaves. only problem is that we are supposed to stay 3' inside our property line so not sure if you'd have 3 ' inside property line if narrow between you and neighbors. you could plant right up next to your screening but will block all breezes as well,,however gives great year round privacy. probably have to do a screening buffer or potted plants that will block view from inside or plant vines outside on edge of screening. if you buy flat trellis or that 4'x8' white vinyl criss cross design panels that people use to block view under decks you can erect it outside screen and then grow vines on it. i put a trellis outside against my screened lanai and planted a vine there. It spread and I then attached pieces of wire from the roof down to the trellis which gave more area for the vines to grow on the wires. If the area you would want these vines is sunny, I'd be happy to give you some passion vine, but it dies back during winter.gorgeous deep purple flowers from mid summer to winter but then nothing , so no privacy in winter. another better option is honeysuckle which stays green all year and smells great when in bloom. this gets really thick so great privacy, but all vines need constant pruning or they will go crazy and grow where you don't want them. honeysuckle gets very thick so needs trimming to prevent it becoming too bushy. it can be a bush hedge and will also climb if you want that. vines allow more breezes to get through than podocarpus hedges but podocarpus less maintenance than constantly trimming vines. podocarpus hedges more defined shape vs vines are wild looking. must makes sure whatever you choose does well in the amount of sun you'll have there as some require full 6 hrs or more of sun, some require part shade or just morning sun etc. passion vine needs full sun, podocarpus seems good in sun and part shade, honeysuckle seems to do well in sun and partial shade. confederate jasmine vine smells incredible in spring and stays green all year, but not thick enough for privacy barrier. if you go with honeysuckle make sure it's the regular bush variety not the red one which is too lanky and more vine like and not thick enough for privacy. I think podocarpus probably least maintenance and more manicured look but honeysuckle bush also makes hedge and can climb if your train it on wires, trellis etc and will give you pretty flowers and fantastic smell from flowers. Good Luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
bushes, contact, villages, approval, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.