Butterfly Weed

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Sage
Default Butterfly Weed

I have lot of asclepias planted in the yard and as a result have lots of Monarch butterflys. Asclepias is the host plant for the Monarch. This year we had a bumper crop of butterflies. Some of our neighbors now grow the plant and are bringing them into the lanai so they can watch the whole process of egg to butterfly. It is a beautiful plant and the Monarchs need all the help we can give them. Plant some asclepias, please. I have some seedlings and will have seed soon if anyone is interested.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Can we purchase this plant anywhere, or are you the only source we have?? What does it look like? Can you post a photo of it?? Just curious! We live in a newer area, but the other day I was at a friend's house in the northern villages and her yard was gorgeous with LOTS of butterflies and also some cardinals and other birds we don't see here---probably due to not having mature follages.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Sage

Jen, I imagine it is available locally but I have some seedlings to offer you. Please PM me.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Default Plant sale Saturday Oct 29

at Wildwood City Hall - also a farmers' market - from 9am to noon. Master Gardeners of Sumter County are putting on the plant sale. Chances are that butterfly milkweed (asceplias) will be for sale there.

Last edited by Happy Gardener; 10-27-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Sage

Back in Maryland, I volunteered at a butterfly exhibit and the tropical milkweed (asclepia) was one of the annuals we had for monarchs. I have it in my garden here in The Villages and get lots of monarchs.

I also have a passionflower vine that attracts the Gulf Fritillary butterfly. Very nice to watch the life cycle of them.

Another native flower that attracts butterflies is the Florida Tickseed. It is a yellow blossomed flower and does very well here.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Sage

We are revamping flowerbeds again and have more asclepias and mexican petunia to give away.

With all the open space TV has, I sure wish they would make more butterfly habitat. I have carried seed to "wild" places here on the water but they always come and spray it with poison. I planted asclepias in one of their beds that is right on my property line, carried water and fertilizer to the plants and made sure they looked great. They pulled them out the next week.
I wonder where you call to inquire about starting butterfly gardens? Our yard is filled with Monarchs. I think they are so beautiful! Their presence could only add to our status as a wonderful place to live. Picture this headline.."The Villages, Florida.. a home for Monarchs" I understand much of the Monarch habitat has been destroyed. What a shame.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.