Are cement and granite sculptures allowed in side gardens out of view?

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 11:09 PM
Default Are cement and granite sculptures allowed in side gardens out of view?

I used to have a koi pond in my last house so I have some expensive granite Japanese benches, 4 foot tall pagoda, etc. Are yard ornaments allowed in in a side yard if no one will see it from the front yard? I'm new to the villages and wondering if I can bring these items? I have an end unit (small patio villa) with a bird cage wrapped around the front and side. So these items would go against the wall that no one can see unless they enter my patio. I don't know the rules for garden art and what is accepted. My backyard opens to an open field and a bike path.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

You can always list them in The Village Classifieds! I am sure a bench may look fine! Downsizing is the key here
Old 06-02-2021, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Call:
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912

But hard for anyone to object,,,,,since cannot be seen from the front.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I used to have a koi pond in my last house so I have some expensive granite Japanese benches, 4 foot tall pagoda, etc. Are yard ornaments allowed in in a side yard if no one will see it from the front yard? I'm new to the villages and wondering if I can bring these items? I have an end unit (small patio villa) with a bird cage wrapped around the front and side. So these items would go against the wall that no one can see unless they enter my patio. I don't know the rules for garden art and what is accepted. My backyard opens to an open field and a bike path.
I was told by someone at community standards that no one can report anything that is not visible from the street. Otherwise there is a violation of privacy.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Sounds like you can have a small Japanese garden outside your birdcage. Very nice.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Sounds like you can have a small Japanese garden outside your birdcage. Very nice.
I agree. If you can't see it, there's nothing to report.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
You mention moving them. I would photograph them, your proof if they are damaged it was done in transit. Packing it? Hopefully both the benches and the pagoda come apart to make it easier to pack. Insurance from the mover. Check before you decide what to do. I've not checked since we moved roughly 8 years ago. If, I recall the normal insurance is like thirteen cents a 100 pounds. Hum, they damage your bench and you will discover it is insured for something like thirteen cents without you paying for replacement insurance. You may decide to have the mover pack it. You can probably do a better job but they exercise far more care for stuff they have packed as they know they cannot claim it was not properly packed.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

And remember if you're paying someone to move your stuff, you will be paying by the pound. It might be less expensive to donate your garden art, and buy new ones when you get here.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:17 PM

Sounds like a really nice arrangement, can you post a few photos?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM

If you intend to have a koi pond here, note they could be dinner for the hawks and eagles.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
If you intend to have a koi pond here, note they could be dinner for the hawks and eagles.
We have had a koi pond for 15 years….no hawks or eagles. One fish was stolen by a Blue Heron. Nearly invisible bird netting over the pond solved the loss of anymore fish.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

Who cares? This is supposed to be a retirement community, not a morgue. If you paint your house purple and erect a purple elephant statue in your front yard, right next to me, I might say something, but who cares what you do with your backyard?

(By the way, I actually had a neighbor once in Texas who did that. She wound up buying my house rather than remove the purple elephant! In fact, she eventually bought up the entire street, renamed it "Street of Dreams" and turned it into an art colony!)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
Who cares? This is supposed to be a retirement community, not a morgue. If you paint your house purple and erect a purple elephant statue in your front yard, right next to me, I might say something, but who cares what you do with your backyard?

(By the way, I actually had a neighbor once in Texas who did that. She wound up buying my house rather than remove the purple elephant! In fact, she eventually bought up the entire street, renamed it "Street of Dreams" and turned it into an art colony!)
An art colony sounds infinitely more interesting than the sardine cans of the courtyard villa neighborhoods!
Closed Thread

Tags
yard, side, items, patio, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.