Citrus Tree Problem

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Default Citrus Tree Problem

At least, I think it's a problem. I had an orange tree planted this past spring. It already had small green fruit on the limbs, but now they have turned brownish and have little growths on them. The leaves appear healthy and the fruit seems to be growing but the color is certainly not orange. Help! Does anyone know anything about this condition?
PS - the landscape people who planted the tree have gone belly up so can't ask them.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
At least, I think it's a problem. I had an orange tree planted this past spring. It already had small green fruit on the limbs, but now they have turned brownish and have little growths on them. The leaves appear healthy and the fruit seems to be growing but the color is certainly not orange. Help! Does anyone know anything about this condition?
PS - the landscape people who planted the tree have gone belly up so can't ask them.
I have two Red Valencia orange trees and have had fruit every year. The oranges never turn orange but stay green or get a brownish color. When they ripen in February the inside is sweet, juicy and delicious.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks ZCaveman. That makes me feel better. Being from up north, I'm still learning.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Eternal Member

Idid a Google search and came up with this:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=37

From the bottom of the above link:

Oranges do not necessarily have to have a bright orange color to be good. In fact, the uniform color of non-organic oranges may be due to injection of Citrus Red Number 2 (an artificial dye) into their skins at the level of 2 parts per million. Whether organic or not, oranges that are partially green or have brown russetting may be just as ripe and tasty as those that are solid orange in color.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Platinum member

At Porters, a few miles north of TV on Rt 441, they have an expert on citrus trees that will be glad to answer any question you may have about bugs, diseases, fungus, etc., and recommend a cure for it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.